Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I think neocodex ceased to exist?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Would seem it's been scraped by Internet Archive [(you need an account to see links)], but to what degree, I'm not truly sure. Some pages are breaking as I'm trying to navigate around.

EDIT: And some forums are locked behind post counts, so those are out, I guess
    Last edited by kalez; 06-15-2023 at 02:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kalez For This Useful Post:

kittyray (06-15-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 12h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Same! I just edited my post a bit, but stuff like media and internet preservation is a big thing for me, though currently I mostly am an observer. But it's what inspired the default petpage thing I did with Fab a couple years ago!
    I have yet to actually be of use to the community, but I have gone through a lot of my own media (Old VHS tapes, and I used to record radio broadcasts because I used to be fixated on radio signals so cassette tapes too, stuff like that.) I haven't found anything specifically lost yet but I haven't gone through everything I have.

I used to have a fixation on recording tv and radio and I wouldn't do much else with my free time when I was at a house that had cable and a VCR on the same tv as a kid. So I mean, the amount of tapes and cassettes I have are... ungodly for one person to go through in a life time. And they're also in storage rn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalez View Post
    Would seem it's been scraped by Internet Archive [(you need an account to see links)], but to what degree, I'm not truly sure. Some pages are breaking as I'm trying to navigate around.
    Problem is a lot of guides required being logged in to even see they existed. They'd have to be in my local cache because I was logged in at the time. Or I imagine, the cookies should still be active on my side just because I haven't touched those computers.

This also isn't my area of expertise and I have limited knowledge of how this works.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    4d 14h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    When I came back to Neopets Codex was pretty much already dead, their programs didn't work but I remember from an Altador Cup there was some site rivalry with clraik which is why I remembered clraik and started becoming more active. I think that's when I made this account on clraik to see what clraik was all about during that Altador Cup.

I was somewhat active on Codex, it was my first cheating website! I could never fit in the 'in' crowd there though, I remember them having a "Retired Member" status but it always struck me as a way to get inside the clique.

RIP Codex!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Map For This Useful Post:

Dot (06-15-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Checking the domain whois, it doesn't expire until August 13th, so it's possible they just forgot to pay for hosting or something... there's also a registrant contact email, but who knows if they'll see it, though that's one way to contact someone in charge of the site if you wanted a back-up of the data.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalez For This Useful Post:

Dot (06-15-2023),Synth Salazzle (06-15-2023)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthbass View Post
    I'm actually a content preservationist nerd. You know, one of those "lost media preservationists" I would be 100% down to try to do this if staff gives me the okay to do this. I hate losing information.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I think it would likely be up to specifically Joe since he's the owner and the liability of "stolen" (it's not actually stolen because I won't claim it as my content. but you know what I mean) would be his liability, rather than anyone else's so if he says no I understand why and will respect it.
    If you have an old guide that's no longer anywhere online, you're welcome to post it with proper credit given. But you have to remember if the original author comes around and asks for it to be removed, we have to respect their wishes.
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

kittyray (06-15-2023),Synth Salazzle (06-15-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,167 times
    Time Online
    558d 7h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    I have yet to actually be of use to the community, but I have gone through a lot of my own media (Old VHS tapes, and I used to record radio broadcasts because I used to be fixated on radio signals so cassette tapes too, stuff like that.) I haven't found anything specifically lost yet but I haven't gone through everything I have.

I used to have a fixation on recording tv and radio and I wouldn't do much else with my free time when I was at a house that had cable and a VCR on the same tv as a kid. So I mean, the amount of tapes and cassettes I have are... ungodly for one person to go through in a life time. And they're also in storage rn.

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is a lot of guides required being logged in to even see they existed. They'd have to be in my local cache because I was logged in at the time. Or I imagine, the cookies should still be active on my side just because I haven't touched those computers.

This also isn't my area of expertise and I have limited knowledge of how this works.
    I'm not of use either, but my dad has been digitizing a bunch of old videos and I want to take time to go through things like broadcast recordings to see if there's anything of note. The recent Defunctland doc on the Disney Channel tune made me appreciate how much even things like bumpers could be of value. I also remember recently (as in the past few years) seeing a discussion encouraging people to share MTV News clips because people think it's not important or whatever because it isn't CNN or CSPAN or something.

And yeah, I know you weren't replying to me, but locked content like that is rough for preservation.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Hall (06-15-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    164/0
    Mentioned
    166 times
    Time Online
    59d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    36m
    I'm actually a content preservationist nerd. You know, one of those "lost media preservationists" I would be 100% down to try to do this if staff gives me the okay to do this. I hate losing information.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I think it would likely be up to specifically Joe since he's the owner and the liability of "stolen" (it's not actually stolen because I won't claim it as my content. but you know what I mean) would be his liability, rather than anyone else's so if he says no I understand why and will respect it.
    WOO! Content preservation! I've been passively saving things almost all my online life. IE. printing things out and keeping binders, so this makes me really happy!

I do hope you find some stuff saved 'cause it might be of use to us later and it'll be a cool trial to see how you manage to save them from your old laptops.

---

Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I'm not of use either, but my dad has been digitizing a bunch of old videos and I want to take time to go through things like broadcast recordings to see if there's anything of note. The recent Defunctland doc on the Disney Channel tune made me appreciate how much even things like bumpers could be of value. I also remember recently (as in the past few years) seeing a discussion encouraging people to share MTV News clips because people think it's not important or whatever because it isn't CNN or CSPAN or something.

And yeah, I know you weren't replying to me, but locked content like that is rough for preservation.
    Yeah that Defunctland doc got me rethinking my own media preservation as well. Thats kinda why I suggested we see if we could save any of the guides from Neocodex!

It'd be really neat if when you get to go through all the recordings you dad made if you DO have stuff of note. Or just what was news worthy in general! :3
    Last edited by Hall; 06-15-2023 at 02:58 PM.

Thank you Hollow for the shiny Minior art!
    Thank you ♥ hearts ♥ for the shiny Minior pumpkin!
    Mint born 11/15/2020

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hall For This Useful Post:

kittyray (06-15-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 12h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by j03 View Post
    If you have an old guide that's no longer anywhere online, you're welcome to post it with proper credit given. But you have to remember if the original author comes around and asks for it to be removed, we have to respect their wishes.
    I can work with that, I wouldn't host content the original creator wouldn't want to keep up either way on any platform.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Map View Post
    When I came back to Neopets Codex was pretty much already dead, their programs didn't work but I remember from an Altador Cup there was some site rivalry with clraik which is why I remembered clraik and started becoming more active. I think that's when I made this account on clraik to see what clraik was all about during that Altador Cup.

I was somewhat active on Codex, it was my first cheating website! I could never fit in the 'in' crowd there though, I remember them having a "Retired Member" status but it always struck me as a way to get inside the clique.

RIP Codex!
    You didn't miss anything by not getting into the clique I can confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalez View Post
    Checking the domain whois, it doesn't expire until August 13th, so it's possible they just forgot to pay for hosting or something... there's also a registrant contact email, but who knows if they'll see it, though that's one way to contact someone in charge of the site if you wanted a back-up of the data.
    For some reason I literally forgot how to multiquote but this is in spam so that's fine.

Mind hitting me up with that email? I'll request a backup myself. If they say no I'll do the best I can scraping my own cache, and the archives for literally anything useful I can get.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: I haven't played neopets for years. I may need to collab with someone. I don't mind getting the data that isn't the issue, but I need someone to run it by to make sure it's still relevant in the current year and isn't obsolete or straight up not good information for the current scape of neopets

My contributions:
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    187/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    52d 13h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    i remember codex for their AoB guides, I wish someone could preserve this for the future

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 12h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakarot View Post
    i remember codex for their AoB guides, I wish someone could preserve this for the future
    AOB guides are specifically what I'm after. They're still useful. I'm 90% it was Ortin that had an updated AOB guide I want to preserve above all else.

My contributions:
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg