Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else likes aesthetically modding their gaming stuff?

Pronouns
    anything/goes
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m

Who else likes aesthetically modding their gaming stuff?

I looooove swapping shells, parts, etc in things - idk why, it just lights up a happy spark of some kind in my brain. I've mostly swapped shells on nintendo products like the switch and joycons, but I just finished my first swap on a steam deck. And whew - the scariest part is the screen, but the only part that made me miserable was a stripped screw right at the very end. It all worked out though and now I have a nifty 90s-esque see through plastic theme on my steam deck too Behold! (and please forgive the little bits of dust, i have a pet bird and even after dusting there's little bits here and there)

(you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

I have a video of it turning on with the custom boot screen too buuuuUUUUut there's no real way for me to share it here without doxxing myself bc its from my instagram so LMAO if anyone wants a pic of that stuff let me know

Anyone else like doing this kind of stuff? :3

amazing stack by the talented (you need an account to see links)!
    <3 adorable wonderful art by my friend Elle <3

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chiquitabanane For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-26-2024),Alcremie (02-26-2024),Alister (02-26-2024),Arcanine (02-25-2024),Ariealle (02-25-2024),Excalibur (02-26-2024),howdy (02-25-2024),Ice (02-26-2024),Infected (02-26-2024),KJiU (02-25-2024),Nyu (02-26-2024)

Pronouns
    🔥
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    12d 15h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    4h 17m
    WOAH okay, that's sick. That is exactly the shell I wanted to switch on my deck as well as my switch (and possibly ps5 if they have a purple clear one).

Always wanted one of those nifty see through cases on my og gameboy but never had one. That looks amazing though, I really wanna do something like that but the most I've really modded is my PS5 controller and it was an easy snap and swap lool.

I'm also peepin your keeb too! Love that cute little star keycap on your esc key <3
    I have a purple themed space keyboard/macropad - currently being torn apart cause I am in the process of spray painting it colorshift purple. :'D

(you need an account to see links)

Avatar by the wonderful (you need an account to see links)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arcanine For This Useful Post:

chiquitabanane (02-26-2024)

Pronouns
    anything/goes
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
    WOAH okay, that's sick. That is exactly the shell I wanted to switch on my deck as well as my switch (and possibly ps5 if they have a purple clear one).

Always wanted one of those nifty see through cases on my og gameboy but never had one. That looks amazing though, I really wanna do something like that but the most I've really modded is my PS5 controller and it was an easy snap and swap lool.

I'm also peepin your keeb too! Love that cute little star keycap on your esc key <3
    I have a purple themed space keyboard/macropad - currently being torn apart cause I am in the process of spray painting it colorshift purple. :'D

(you need an account to see links)
    Thank you!! Honestly as long as you are patient and have the right tools (I suggest the ifixit kit and a blow dryer or heat gun), it isn't too bad. I was super worried about the screen but I just took my time and it worked out Extremerate makes excellent step by step videos and the products are top notch! Also thank you about my keyboard xD it's so hard finding cute keycaps for the german ISO layout so I got lucky with this one lol

Ohhh I can't wait to see how your project turns out :o I've never tried building a keyboard like that

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    When im very very motivated i like to modify my keyboards. I also like doing performance mods (ie laptop) weird drill holes for ventilation things like that.

been meaning to 3d print some other useful things like laptop hand placement parts (for easier carrying)

alas we can only have so much time in a day lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    anything/goes
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    When im very very motivated i like to modify my keyboards. I also like doing performance mods (ie laptop) weird drill holes for ventilation things like that.

been meaning to 3d print some other useful things like laptop hand placement parts (for easier carrying)

alas we can only have so much time in a day lol
    oooh 3D printing!! That's so cool, and I feel the lack of time lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chiquitabanane For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (02-26-2024)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    43d 23h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I used to when I had my last PC. I've just been on laptops for the last decade. But I'm planning a PC build before easter, so that's going to become a fun hobby to tinker with things.

Also, my first GameBoy Color was transparent purple, that photo you put up gave me all kinds of feels!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    anything/goes
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 5h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    48m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    I used to when I had my last PC. I've just been on laptops for the last decade. But I'm planning a PC build before easter, so that's going to become a fun hobby to tinker with things.

Also, my first GameBoy Color was transparent purple, that photo you put up gave me all kinds of feels!
    Good luck with the new PC build!! That reminds me ... I need to clean mine... All the birb dust T_T

I had the clear purple GBC too!! I kind of want to find it and replace the screen with a backlit kit

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    109 times
    Time Online
    63d 18h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    These look amazing!

Do you guys do pc case mods too?
    I want to learn how to make them, they look so cool!

I mean these:

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    38d 9h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    omg your steam deck looks so good!! i modded my switch and game boy color, i don't have photos right now but I'll edit with some later the switch has a charcoal transparent shell with gold buttons, and the gameboy is a clear teal, kind of like the pokemon crystal cart

mothman userbar by @munna !!! <3
    venonat splice by me :3

Pronouns
    🔥
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    12d 15h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    4h 17m
    Quote Originally Posted by chiquitabanane View Post
    Thank you!! Honestly as long as you are patient and have the right tools (I suggest the ifixit kit and a blow dryer or heat gun), it isn't too bad. I was super worried about the screen but I just took my time and it worked out Extremerate makes excellent step by step videos and the products are top notch! Also thank you about my keyboard xD it's so hard finding cute keycaps for the german ISO layout so I got lucky with this one lol

Ohhh I can't wait to see how your project turns out :o I've never tried building a keyboard like that
    I will have to check out their videos for how to do that. :0 Thank you for the tips!

I've always wanted to build a keyboard from scratch, but I'm not so great with soldering. 😅
    Until then I'm just gonna keep modding my compact GMMK, I'll try to remember to post some pictures after I get it built again. Clear coat goes on today and then one more night of drying!

Avatar by the wonderful (you need an account to see links)