13/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

HELP!

My computer has been hacked! I was working on Neopets and I got a Big Red Screen telling me my Computer was being hacked and it gave me instructions with a number to call "Microsoft" I called the number. 888-311-8271. A man answered and asked me what the problem was and when I told him, he gave me some instructions (press the Microsoft tab on keyboard and type in remote1) I did and that gave him control of my desktop. he ran a diagnostics and claimed he found a KOOB FACE entitiy on my computer. Now the farther on he went the more concerned I got. Who the devil is KOOB FACE and what are they doing on my computer. Anyway the man said he could get it fixed fro 399 dollars. Like I have that kind of money. Can someone please me. I have no idea if it is safe to stay online or not.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeloaders_Soceity View Post
    My computer has been hacked! I was working on Neopets and I got a Big Red Screen telling me my Computer was being hacked and it gave me instructions with a number to call "Microsoft" I called the number. 888-311-8271. A man answered and asked me what the problem was and when I told him, he gave me some instructions (press the Microsoft tab on keyboard and type in remote1) I did and that gave him control of my desktop. he ran a diagnostics and claimed he found a KOOB FACE entitiy on my computer. Now the farther on he went the more concerned I got. Who the devil is KOOB FACE and what are they doing on my computer. Anyway the man said he could get it fixed fro 399 dollars. Like I have that kind of money. Can someone please me. I have no idea if it is safe to stay online or not.
    There is nothing wrong with your computer. Someone lead you to a fake website, probably all red and beautifal to catch your attention.

They will make you think you have viruses on your computer, and either do some of the following:

1) Tell you have viruses which are actually ok files
    2) Ask to connect via remote to your PC and steal your info
    3) LOCK all your stuff
    4) Offer you "virus cleaning services"

Don't waste your time.

And i was correct, they offered to clean your computer for a charge. Hopefully they did not remote connect.
    here you go, (you need an account to see links)

ignore and move on. don't ever let someone remote connect nor waste your time. Simply google "fake virus alert" under google images. YouTube also "Hoax Hotel" or PC scams.
    Last edited by 5252; 03-03-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    Somehow this program got on your computer.

Go (you need an account to see links). Run the scan on your computer (update first!) and I strongly recommend you disconnect your internet in the meantime.

This program is called MalwareBytes if you have not heard of it yet... It will help clean your PC. If that stupid program is still on there, right click -> find the true location of the program and then delete it.

Don't pay this person any money as they managed to plant the program on your computer in the first place to have you contact them and let them steal your money.

To prevent bad ads in your browser, install the extension uBlock Origin. Works great.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 5252 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your computer. Someone lead you to a fake website, probably all red and beautifal to catch your attention.
    From the sounds of it, yes there is. There might be a program on her computer that is allowing remote access to her data
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Joe View Post
    Somehow this program got on your computer.

Go (you need an account to see links). Run the scan on your computer (update first!) and I strongly recommend you disconnect your internet in the meantime.

This program is called MalwareBytes if you have not heard of it yet... It will help clean your PC. If that stupid program is still on there, right click -> find the true location of the program and then delete it.

Don't pay this person any money as they managed to plant the program on your computer in the first place to have you contact them and let them steal your money.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

From the sounds of it, yes there is. There might be a program on her computer that is allowing remote access to her data
    Hmm, oh I read the post thinking she did not download anything. Exactly, same program I was going to link.
    @(you need an account to see links) - let me know, do you have a Webcam?
    Two top signs of something- let us know if your computer is running slower or if your webcam light (green) turns on.

And let me know if you downloaded anything.
    Last edited by 5252; 03-03-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Honorary Grandma Freeloaders_Soceity's Avatar
    Pronouns
    Gran
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I do not have a Web Cam here on the desktop. I will monitor my laptop tho. 5252, I did as you and Joe suggested. Bought the update for Malwarbytes for 24.99 and ran the scan. I noticed that all of my Desk Top icons are missing. I have no idea how to get them back. Will ask later for help with them too. I want to thank you all for your prompt help. I was so scared. I wanted to contact you fellas first but the damn program they placed wouldn't let me go anywhere. I figured out afterwards, I just had to unplug the computer. You kids are teaching me and I am so greatful. Thanks for your help, Sweeties'. I really appreciate it.

Oh, and I did open that Remote1 program that gave the man access to view all that was going on. If i need to do something else please let me know. Off for supper, back in a bit.
    Last edited by Freeloaders_Soceity; 03-03-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: text left out

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Ransomware is a bitch. You made the right call in asking for help here; too many people don't realise what it actually is and that it's all a hoax. Malwarebytes and Spybot scanning are good habits to get into, even just once a week.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    151/1
    Mentioned
    442 times
    Time Online
    122d 5h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    Is there a certain name of the remote software

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,871 times
    Time Online
    564d 11h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    I do not have a Web Cam here on the desktop. I will monitor my laptop tho. 5252, I did as you and Joe suggested. Bought the update for Malwarbytes for 24.99 and ran the scan. I noticed that all of my Desk Top icons are missing. I have no idea how to get them back. Will ask later for help with them too. I want to thank you all for your prompt help. I was so scared. I wanted to contact you fellas first but the damn program they placed wouldn't let me go anywhere. I figured out afterwards, I just had to unplug the computer. You kids are teaching me and I am so greatful. Thanks for your help, Sweeties'. I really appreciate it.

Oh, and I did open that Remote1 program that gave the man access to view all that was going on. If i need to do something else please let me know. Off for supper, back in a bit.
    You did not have to purchase the program, free trial will do just as good but now you have the extra protection I guess!

Did you do the scan on your computer? Did anything come up?
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

Honorary Grandma Freeloaders_Soceity's Avatar
    Pronouns
    Gran
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    35 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Okay, I'm back. What a day. I had to change my PW here because in all the excitement I forgot what it was, lol. I went ahead and paid for Malwarebytes because it offered better protection for when I do dumb things. I downloaded UBlock too. I ran the Malwar. scan and it came up a whole bunch of junk. They cleaned everything up. I changed PWs and Emails on my accounts. I don't store any financial info here with the exeption of PayPal. I think I will be okay here.

I want to thank you all for coming to my rescue. You have all always made me feel right at home here. I have had so many changes in my life the past 18 months. I kinda need you all more than you need me. Don't get me wrong, I have a beautiful family and they take good care of me but we are still dealing with the loss of Dad. I hate to burden them or give them cause to worry any more than I have too. Their answer to todays' problem would have been to drag me out to Best Buy and buy me a new computer, lol. It's late and way past my bedtime. See you all in the morning. Have a great night. Hugs!

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Freeloaders_Soceity For This Useful Post:

Aska (03-04-2016),Buizel (03-04-2016),hissi (03-04-2016),j03 (03-04-2016),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (03-04-2016),Pusheen (03-04-2016),Roslyn (03-04-2016)