Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do? (Work realated)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Is there an option where you keep studying, training and giving your all where you are, but also apply to higher paying / more engaging jobs and keep an eye on the market? I don't think it hurts to see what's out there, but you also may be reading too much into your current situation and worrying without needing to.

I completely understand that it's a tough time financially, so I think keeping an eye out for / applying to other things that might be a better fit for you is fine, but in your current position you can afford to be picky on what you apply for right now.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    383 times
    Time Online
    89d 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I think it is always good to be open to new opportunities so I would keep my Linkedin profile update anyway and I love linedin learning and learnigns in general so even if you were not having this issue I would try to show that I am always learning and improving myself. So definitely keep upping your skill level.

Then job jumping is no longer ground upon in fact it is encourage to constantly improve salary. Job hopping increases salary way more than promotions does. So I think you should be on the outlook anyway and not be ashamed of it at all.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Hey there!
    I'm by profession a civil engineer and I was in charge of the construction of some houses and minor buildings in my area.
    I moved to another city because my wife got offered a nice job and I decided to start studying to become a web developer.
    Long story short, I ended up being a Software Test Automation Engineer and got hired 3 months ago by a great company with 60k+ workers along the globe and great benefits.

The weird thing here is that they hired me as mid level, or ssr, or one level above a junior position, and they started to train me. I had a 10 weeks long training and after that I did some interviews to enter a project that my company was developing, but I was rejected every single time.
    I have been rejected 3 times now and I'm very nervous. I don't know if they're going to fire me soon, or if I'm safe now but obviously I need to enter a project asap.

I can't afford to be unemployed, so today I looked through linkedin job offers and I applied to 2 positions.

So what would you do in my position?
    - Continue studying and training so I can do better in the next interview, or even if there's no interview, just wait till they fire me, anyway they're still paying me.
    - Start looking for other jobs, maybe get a salary raise and finally enter a real project where you can put in practice everything you have been learning all this past months.

I'm kind of stressed, but this thread is to to talk about our experiences and stuff. I'm fine, don't worry for my mental health
    I am not sure how employment works where you live, but where I live I'd probably just apply for other jobs. As here there is no harm in doing it. You're not commiting by applying for other jobs. (even though it fucking sucks applying for jobs)

Is this something you'd like to continue doing in the future? Do you like it there? These are also things to keep in mind, these could help you make a choice.

I am not a person who can say what you should do or not to do because my life is kind if fucked up in that department. But I do belive you have a good insight on yourself and what to do.

I do not think they will fire you though, I think if you want it just keep grinding and it's going to happen.

Hopefully I gave you some insight on some level. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do!

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    104 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flordibel View Post
    I'd stay where you are. Having just hired and trained you, it doesn't make sense for them to fire you immediately. Maybe they had too many people of your level on that project already - there could be lots of other reasons they didn't add you to the project (maybe you're too new, or there's nepotism that meant many people were pre-selected!). I'd ask your boss for some fredback on that. I definitely wouldn't switch jobs. Make them be the ones to boot you so that they give you severance (although I suppose that depends on your contract). You also may have non-compete clauses you'd be bound to if you left which would prevent you from getting jobs in a similar sector.

So I'd wait. Just keep your head down and keep training. Not being selected for the project probably has less to do with you than you think, and if no one has said anything to you about poor performance thus far, you're 99% likely to be fine.
    Maybe they have a lot of people, rigth?
    Just today I receive a mail from my company encouraging us to refer people for a senior testing role, they say test automation is growing exponentially and they are even giving 2x bonus if you refer someone.
    Soooo maybe they really just want to hoard all of us in case they need us?
    I don't know, it's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by birdies View Post
    Is there an option where you keep studying, training and giving your all where you are, but also apply to higher paying / more engaging jobs and keep an eye on the market? I don't think it hurts to see what's out there, but you also may be reading too much into your current situation and worrying without needing to.

I completely understand that it's a tough time financially, so I think keeping an eye out for / applying to other things that might be a better fit for you is fine, but in your current position you can afford to be picky on what you apply for right now.
    Yes, it's completely a good option. In fact, that's what I think I will do.
    I applied to a couple of job offers in companies some companies that I know are good, I did not applied to every single job offer there are.
    In case something better came, maybe I'll change, but I think is a very good option to keep studying while being paid.

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    I think it is always good to be open to new opportunities so I would keep my Linkedin profile update anyway and I love linedin learning and learnigns in general so even if you were not having this issue I would try to show that I am always learning and improving myself. So definitely keep upping your skill level.

Then job jumping is no longer ground upon in fact it is encourage to constantly improve salary. Job hopping increases salary way more than promotions does. So I think you should be on the outlook anyway and not be ashamed of it at all.
    I have been updating my linkedin almost every week. My company also offers us linkedin learning so i have been doing lots of curses so my profile has a lot of skills.
    Yes, when job jumping you can have 30-50% more than what you have, while promotions only give you 10-15% So sad that it's that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hellraid View Post
    I am not sure how employment works where you live, but where I live I'd probably just apply for other jobs. As here there is no harm in doing it. You're not commiting by applying for other jobs. (even though it fucking sucks applying for jobs)

Is this something you'd like to continue doing in the future? Do you like it there? These are also things to keep in mind, these could help you make a choice.

I am not a person who can say what you should do or not to do because my life is kind if fucked up in that department. But I do belive you have a good insight on yourself and what to do.

I do not think they will fire you though, I think if you want it just keep grinding and it's going to happen.

Hopefully I gave you some insight on some level. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do!
    I really like my company, and I'm very happy to be part of it, but I have seen another smaller companies where they are more like family. I like to be part of something, and I still don't feel that way.
    Maybe I will open my linkedin for recruiters and I can hear some proposals.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyranitar For This Useful Post:

hellraid (07-19-2023),phantasia (07-20-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Maybe they have a lot of people, rigth?
    Just today I receive a mail from my company encouraging us to refer people for a senior testing role, they say test automation is growing exponentially and they are even giving 2x bonus if you refer someone.
    Soooo maybe they really just want to hoard all of us in case they need us?
    I don't know, it's weird.

Yes, it's completely a good option. In fact, that's what I think I will do.
    I applied to a couple of job offers in companies some companies that I know are good, I did not applied to every single job offer there are.
    In case something better came, maybe I'll change, but I think is a very good option to keep studying while being paid.

I have been updating my linkedin almost every week. My company also offers us linkedin learning so i have been doing lots of curses so my profile has a lot of skills.
    Yes, when job jumping you can have 30-50% more than what you have, while promotions only give you 10-15% So sad that it's that way.

I really like my company, and I'm very happy to be part of it, but I have seen another smaller companies where they are more like family. I like to be part of something, and I still don't feel that way.
    Maybe I will open my linkedin for recruiters and I can hear some proposals.
    I understand, I used to be a part of a smaller company and we had a blast. It was rough but so much fun.

Anyway to the point, It does feel like you like it overthere but you are also scarred to lose it. From what I understand you could get another job pretty easy. I do think you need that feeling of being part of something. I think you should open up your likedin and see what happens. Life is to short to just walk around and worry. Whatever you decide to do though. It will be the right decission because I have a feeling you will do it for you. Keep us updated mate!

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    70d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    I'd stay, they trained you up for a reason, right? I can understand job hunting due to nervousness from work though, i would always keep my opportunities open. Have you spoken to your manager/boss that you can trust to voice your concerns? Maybe if you discuss how you feel they could be supportive and offer some advice? :0

*that's rough buddy*

(you need an account to see links)

thank you Dita ;u; & thank you sugarbee *u* thank you Lyrichord for the ub *O* thank you Kibba for the dp eue