Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2d 5h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo of doom View Post
    Am Ism tue only who wants John DiMaggio as Dr.Sloth?

I hope that some old players came back through the series. To be honest - when I begann to play neopets never seemed to me like a children Website.
    Entertaining for just one moment the idea that this will be anything better than mediocre, I'd love a Dr. Sloth played by Kelsey Grammer, or Mr. Lawrence (I'm thinking a voice similar to Plankton's). I always imagined he sounded like one or the other growing up.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    18d 6h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulan View Post
    From a logical point of view, the website seems like it'll be a minor part of the franchise. They are trying to move on to bigger, potentially better things. I mean, the website is awesome but I think their main focus right now is turning Neopets into something bigger.
    I agree with this. It feels like JumpStart is intent on turning Neopets into a children�s franchise, so they have no interest in making more adult-friendly content even though we�re the bulk of their current userbase.

I�m guessing management thinks the potential $$$ from kids (in the form of shows, merch, microtransactions) far outweighs whatever they would lose from alienating adults? The site might very well be sidelined in favor of the bigger moneymakers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Worlds For This Useful Post:

Daffodil (06-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    2d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Powell stated that the original goal was to "keep university students entertained, and possibly make some cash from banner advertising".[15] The site contained popular culture references, such as a Neopet that was simply a picture of Bruce Forsyth

neopets were never meant for kids. this is taken from their wikipedia site. it was meant to entertain college students from the start. That's why it contained popular culture references and that was the charm of it!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    6h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Going to make my sister watch at least 1 episode with me when it comes out XD

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    233 times
    Time Online
    95d 19h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    Quote Originally Posted by hatpacket View Post
    Entertaining for just one moment the idea that this will be anything better than mediocre, I'd love a Dr. Sloth played by Kelsey Grammer, or Mr. Lawrence (I'm thinking a voice similar to Plankton's). I always imagined he sounded like one or the other growing up.
    I'm sorry but Dr. Sloth needs a sexy deep voice. Like Liam Neeson, Al Pacino or Mahershala Ali

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Unown (06-20-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    11d 19h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - a pyschadelic, claymation, absurdist production featuring neopets is all this franchise needs to put neopets on the map as the end all be all of early 2000s nostalgia content.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HailSeitan For This Useful Post:

Bellz (06-20-2020),Fabulous (06-20-2020),Maelstra (06-22-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    339 times
    Time Online
    79d 6h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    Quote Originally Posted by HailSeitan View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - a pyschadelic, claymation, absurdist production featuring neopets is all this franchise needs to put neopets on the map as the end all be all of early 2000s nostalgia content.
    Oh my god, if they just leaned into the weirdness and it was self-aware and witty, it could be such a sleeper hit when it starts getting screenshotted and memed about

Actually, no matter what tier this show emerges at (platinum or shit) I promise to mine it for all the reaction gifs and comedy nuggets it holds and make it A Thing

you know when someone asks "why are you so dressed up"
    and you have to literally explain to them that this is who you are

asking the important questions

thanks @extraterrestrial for capturing my essence

anyway here's my petpet

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabulous For This Useful Post:

bank_man (06-21-2020),♥ HailSeitan ♥ (06-20-2020),Maelstra (06-22-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    11d 19h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Oh my god, if they just leaned into the weirdness and it was self-aware and witty, it could be such a sleeper hit when it starts getting screenshotted and memed about

Actually, no matter what tier this show emerges at (platinum or shit) I promise to mine it for all the reaction gifs and comedy nuggets it holds and make it A Thing
    Remember that "we are all god's forgotten neopets" tumblr post???? Like, that's hugggge as far as a marketing concept - your market is nostalgic, depressed and nihilistic, and that translates to a huge demographic who has the disposable income to flex their childhood neopets fantasy in a way they couldn't when they were ten - you want a draik? Basically free. You want beautiful clothes to dress him in? Ten bucks, with paypal - instant gratification.

The aesthetic of the site is so iconic - it can be pastelly kawaii, it can be early 2000s edgy; it's a time portal into who you were when you were eight in your computer room. It's a children's site, and it remains so despite the player-base being almost exclusively adult, because it's a space for the children we were. IMO the ethos of the site has always connected with the inner child, rather than the literal child - it's an innocent, creative, imaginative space and that's appealing as you grow up and have less and less of those spaces in your life.

Self-care, and connection with one's childhood joys are a huge thing in popular culture right now - look at adult colouring books. Neopets could fill that niche, and still remain accessible to all age groups. So many people learned how to code, write, create art, create virtual communities, and do all sorts of stuff on neopets - it's a safe corner of the internet where things are simple - I can see wanting that for my kid if I were a parent, but I can also see the same benefits for my peers, and there's no reason it needs to be mutually exclusive.

I worry that JS pr is really concerned with marketing and packaging their product in a way they think will be well-received, rather than starting with the innate strengths of the platform and building a publicity campaign that's authentic to the actual experience of the site. Keep it weird, keep it kinda janky, keep it heartfelt.

13. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to HailSeitan For This Useful Post:

bank_man (06-21-2020),Bellz (06-20-2020),cornishwall (06-22-2020),Erik. (06-21-2020),Fabulous (06-20-2020),hatpacket (06-20-2020),hipowls (06-20-2020),Mindfang (06-20-2020),Pringle (06-20-2020),Rampages (06-20-2020),Spohia (06-21-2020),Star Dream (06-22-2020),teslagirl (06-21-2020),themor (06-20-2020),TsUNaMy WaVe (06-22-2020),Worlds (06-20-2020)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    339 times
    Time Online
    79d 6h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    I already repped you for your first post @(you need an account to see links) so take my 2nd reps verbally

It would take a specific kind of hire for neopets to pull this and not come across as /r/fellowkidsy - someone with sass (a la Wendy's twitter), in-depth internet culture knowledge, who had actually played and loved the game, and who can write.

So, none of the current lineup, with all due respect to "What's a comma" Jade, "When in doubt, an ill-timed smiley" Aesop and "Daddy hired me" Scrappy.

But the potential for this self-referential glory as outlined by your post honestly gives me starry eyes!!

Also, YES, that macro lives on my phone forever and I share it here for the uninitiated

you know when someone asks "why are you so dressed up"
    and you have to literally explain to them that this is who you are

asking the important questions

thanks @extraterrestrial for capturing my essence

anyway here's my petpet

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fabulous For This Useful Post:

Erik. (06-21-2020),Flordibel (06-20-2020),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (06-20-2020),♥ HailSeitan ♥ (06-20-2020),teslagirl (06-21-2020),themor (06-20-2020)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 4h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Remember that "we are all god's forgotten neopets" tumblr post???? Like, that's hugggge as far as a marketing concept - your market is nostalgic, depressed and nihilistic, and that translates to a huge demographic who has the disposable income to flex their childhood neopets fantasy in a way they couldn't when they were ten - you want a draik? Basically free. You want beautiful clothes to dress him in? Ten bucks, with paypal - instant gratification.

The aesthetic of the site is so iconic - it can be pastelly kawaii, it can be early 2000s edgy; it's a time portal into who you were when you were eight in your computer room. It's a children's site, and it remains so despite the player-base being almost exclusively adult, because it's a space for the children we were. IMO the ethos of the site has always connected with the inner child, rather than the literal child - it's an innocent, creative, imaginative space and that's appealing as you grow up and have less and less of those spaces in your life.

Self-care, and connection with one's childhood joys are a huge thing in popular culture right now - look at adult colouring books. Neopets could fill that niche, and still remain accessible to all age groups. So many people learned how to code, write, create art, create virtual communities, and do all sorts of stuff on neopets - it's a safe corner of the internet where things are simple - I can see wanting that for my kid if I were a parent, but I can also see the same benefits for my peers, and there's no reason it needs to be mutually exclusive.

I worry that JS pr is really concerned with marketing and packaging their product in a way they think will be well-received, rather than starting with the innate strengths of the platform and building a publicity campaign that's authentic to the actual experience of the site. Keep it weird, keep it kinda janky, keep it heartfelt.
    Wow, quoting this to save it. It's how I always felt about neopets and couldn't put into words.
    Last edited by Rampages; 06-20-2020 at 05:20 PM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rampages For This Useful Post:

Druid (06-21-2020),♥ HailSeitan ♥ (06-20-2020),maya (06-28-2020)