Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think about UCs nowadays?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    32d 16h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by kiko View Post
    I've never had one. I actually just keep one pet which I train, read to and gourmet feed.
    That's something i have tried many times 'cause i think focusing in a single pet is awesome... but i never managed to keep doing it. I end up getting more pets xD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Old but gold For This Useful Post:

kiko (12-03-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    35d 2h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I still don't get how they pick and chose certain pets to keep UC and not others. Especially royal pairs... like wtf?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    11d 15h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I still don't get how they pick and chose certain pets to keep UC and not others. Especially royal pairs... like wtf?
    TNT at the time have said in various places that time in the office was all hands on deck to roll out customization. All at once they were switching from a whole new system for pets (simple gif files to flash) and the artists were tasked with redrawing all 54 species at once, along with a ton of wearables to launch the new mall. Various content people were put to an afterthought task of which pets to leave, something they'd never done-- the Mynci had recently been revamped just before this happened, and the original amazing Darigan Mynci was replaced with a sign of things to come, the standard pose Darigan (although oddly enough I think that one is UC?). Anyway of Royal pairs they've basically said, it was a random oversight in something that they had about 5 minutes to do in the midst of everything else. It's actually kind of incredible that they even let some pets stay the same.

I think this also explains some of the shoddy artwork on the new versions of Neopets compared to what the artists were capable of. The time crunch meant that they had to roll with designs that might have undergone more revisions in a previous era. I think it was a mistake to rush it as we've now had to live with these new designs for almost 13 years with no revisions at all, but I don't think they were thinking ahead to the fact that once this is done they can never be changed again, so let's make it good.

I think that's one of the things I miss the most that customization took away, the ever increasing design aesthetic and refining what that meant for Neopets. Yes some of the backgrounds they released after that are very pretty, but when you slap a giant bobbleheaded Ixi in it the overall effect is still bad. And that's why I'm never gonna quit my unconverted pets.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nymbly For This Useful Post:

Bakugo (12-04-2019),bootiesrus (12-05-2019),Corliss (12-04-2019),♥ Hydrapple ♥ (12-04-2019),kez_min (12-05-2019),maya (12-09-2019),Moona (12-04-2019),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (12-04-2019),Sakuras (12-24-2019),Stardust (12-04-2019),Styx (12-07-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    35d 2h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Yeah, some of the converted pets are really butchered. RIP Meercas.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rome For This Useful Post:

Bakugo (12-04-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    28d 19h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I miss the old uc mutant lupe

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    14d 22h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Quote Originally Posted by nymbly View Post
    TNT at the time have said in various places that time in the office was all hands on deck to roll out customization. All at once they were switching from a whole new system for pets (simple gif files to flash) and the artists were tasked with redrawing all 54 species at once, along with a ton of wearables to launch the new mall. Various content people were put to an afterthought task of which pets to leave, something they'd never done-- the Mynci had recently been revamped just before this happened, and the original amazing Darigan Mynci was replaced with a sign of things to come, the standard pose Darigan (although oddly enough I think that one is UC?). Anyway of Royal pairs they've basically said, it was a random oversight in something that they had about 5 minutes to do in the midst of everything else. It's actually kind of incredible that they even let some pets stay the same.

I think this also explains some of the shoddy artwork on the new versions of Neopets compared to what the artists were capable of. The time crunch meant that they had to roll with designs that might have undergone more revisions in a previous era. I think it was a mistake to rush it as we've now had to live with these new designs for almost 13 years with no revisions at all, but I don't think they were thinking ahead to the fact that once this is done they can never be changed again, so let's make it good.

I think that's one of the things I miss the most that customization took away, the ever increasing design aesthetic and refining what that meant for Neopets. Yes some of the backgrounds they released after that are very pretty, but when you slap a giant bobbleheaded Ixi in it the overall effect is still bad. And that's why I'm never gonna quit my unconverted pets.
    To add to this I talked with one of the old neopets artists on DA and they said that the same artist didn't draw the whole pet on the converted ones which I found a bit weird. Like one artist would draw the head, another would do body etc. Might be why some of the converted ones look a bit deformed...

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kez_min For This Useful Post:

Bakugo (12-05-2019),Corliss (12-05-2019),Fabulous (12-05-2019),maya (12-09-2019),Old but gold (12-05-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    32d 16h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by kez_min View Post
    To add to this I talked with one of the old neopets artists on DA and they said that the same artist didn't draw the whole pet on the converted ones which I found a bit weird. Like one artist would draw the head, another would do body etc. Might be why some of the converted ones look a bit deformed...
    I'm afraid whoever directed neopets that time had a serious lack of common sense, then.
    It's like they were writing 'the ABC of what you shouldn't do when making a game'

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old but gold For This Useful Post:

Bakugo (12-05-2019),Corliss (12-05-2019),maya (12-09-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    42d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Artists, chime in:

How long do you think it would take (in terms of hours, weeks, manpower) to redraw:

a) all of the pets on neopets (not including any stock/promotional art)
    b) redraw all customizable/wearables?

Just wondering. Assume all resources available.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oventoast For This Useful Post:

Bakugo (12-05-2019),Corliss (12-05-2019),maya (12-09-2019)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    119d 7h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    Quote Originally Posted by kez_min View Post
    Somehow that explains a lot but god I hate knowing that that's the case. Some converteds look like their heads don't belong to their bodies.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lagrima For This Useful Post:

Bakugo (12-06-2019)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    56d 6h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Quote Originally Posted by oventoast View Post
    Artists, chime in:

How long do you think it would take (in terms of hours, weeks, manpower) to redraw:

a) all of the pets on neopets (not including any stock/promotional art)
    b) redraw all customizable/wearables?

Just wondering. Assume all resources available.
    Uh I think my post got deleted or I deleted it by accident?

The original Krawk, the post conversion and finally my rework. The rework took maybe like 45 mins total? I did a quick vector with Illustrator but ended up making further edits in Photoshop after. The point of my rework was to maintain the integrity of the original while keeping it customization friendly. I didn't try *too* hard because I have a screechy 3 year old to deal with. It's not perfect but I always hated how the post-conversion Krawk looked. The hamfists and floppy feet annoy the crap outta me.

I can imagine all the wearable shit would take forever to redraw if the pets themselves get redrawn or reworked. A necklace or shirt won't look the same on a Bruce like it would on a Krawk.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fiore For This Useful Post:

Ashen (12-14-2019),Bakugo (12-06-2019),Corliss (12-07-2019),Fabulous (12-06-2019),kez_min (12-07-2019),Lolaloveloki (12-06-2019),Old but gold (12-07-2019),♥ PrettySarcastic ♥ (12-06-2019),Sakuras (12-24-2019),themor (12-06-2019)