DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    ooo this thread has so much goodness in it. @(you need an account to see links) that Nerima Daikon Brothers opening is such a cool vibe.

I listen to a lot of Ghibli instrumentals, especially when I'm working, but the first things that came to mind is the OST for Afro Samurai (mini series). It's your classic revenge story. All but two songs were produced by RZA from Wu Tang Clan and it makes my little hip-hop heart happy. If I remember correctly, I fell in love with the soundtrack before I saw the show.

This is whole OST (an hour long)

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (06-14-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    215d 22h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m
    @(you need an account to see links) I’m giving yours a full listen today!

Guren No Yumiya: The opening chorals, into epicness, then straight into another theme? Then a synth, more chorals, and orchestration? It goes hard! I can see why this is the top of your list!

Rinbu Revolution: This is fun. I like the slight dance theme to it - jazz lounge sounds about right.

Shattering Star: I hear dark chorals, dissolving to get to to the bottom of something for justice. Which is an unlikely duo! Suiting for a villain arc.

Thank you for sharing!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    449 times
    Time Online
    64d 11h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    26m
    When it comes to meaningful songs in anime, I personally think that Revue Starlight wins. There are "fights" in this anime, but they are more like a clash of different ideals, and to accompany each of this matches there is a Revue song that represents perfectly each match, the characters that participate in it and the state that they are in during that particular moment, etc. Most people probably miss their immense depth during their first watch, because well, the song is just in the background while an action fight is going on along with some dialogue over it too. But studying these songs closely, man, that's just adding to why this anime is a masterpiece.

My favorite revue song from the original anime is this one:

But to give another example, there is one character with a conflict that seems more childish and playful, and the revue song during her match with the protagonist is childish and playful to reflect that:

And that was it for my usual Starlight recommendation in every anime thread lmao

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (06-17-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    215d 22h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombabe View Post
    The most memorable OP for me would have to be Elfen Lied's "Lilium".
    The video is comparatively quite plain when lined up against openings in similar horror/drama genre, and is slow moving while stylised artworks, inspired by Gustav Klimt, play alongside the orchestral music. My first encounter with this OP was when I was a young teenager, I didn't give much thought to the opening other than believing the music to be pretty. Nevertheless, the song has always stuck with me throughout my life and having the opportunity to revisit the video as an adult creates an entirely new visual experience. The overall desire for love, affection, truth of self and their inability to truly ever hold it.
    This is a really pretty theme. I found a version with a nuetral background (you need an account to see links), as to avoid the NFSW. I'm not into that or horror, or dark stuff at all.

Just listening to it, without the visual from the anime, I'm shocked it's in the horror/drama genre. It seems that Latin based music in anime tends to go the dark route somehow. I looked up a translation pre-listen, and lyrics speak of a pure lily of faith basically. The contrast between these words and the show must be particularly jarring. I feel like there could easily be an application of this song in a setting that fits the song, with a show on the complete other side of the spectrum of Elfin Lied!

Thank you for sharing!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    953 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    A lot of super iconic op/eds have already listed but I think a lot of people can agree what a masterpiece the Samurai Champloo OST is, and their op is prob one of the most well known.

SC is just a great, quirky-off-on-an-adventure-where-everything-goes-awry-but-in-hilarious-ways with a lowkey and tastefully done old school hip hop vibe and Nujabes really nailed it. Even if it's not a super catchy/pop/upbeat/anisong kind of vibe, I think for the show, it fits it perfectly.

Another theme song (well, entire OST as well... lbr every single fucking song is a banger - Hiroyuki Sawano really WENT OFF.) that I shed literal tears over whenever I hear is the opening (and reprisal track a la HUGE MECHA SPACE BATTLE, STUDIO TRIGGER STYLE) to Promare "Inferno"! Paired with the opening animation of introducing you to the city and then jumping straight into the action, it literally just gives me CHILLS and this amazing, larger than life feeling of AWE. If you've never seen Promare and are a Studio Trigger (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill) fan, I cannot recommend this movie enough.

I'm sure I will come up with more later but it's 2am and I've re-opened my box of Promare feels so... I'mma just be... under the blankets having a good cry. 🤧

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (06-21-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    honestly i don't remember a single thing from Inuyasha, but that shakuhachi solo will be in my head until I die

was that worth it?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxe For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (06-21-2023),Lyrichord (06-21-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    77d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by foxe View Post
    honestly i don't remember a single thing from Inuyasha, but that shakuhachi solo will be in my head until I die

This always takes me back to when I was a kid and would stay up SUPER late just to watch Inuyasha.
    When the ending started playing I knew it was time for bed or else I'd get no sleep for school lol

I love this so much!
    Last edited by Bulbasaur; 06-21-2023 at 02:08 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

♥ foxe ♥ (06-21-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    215d 22h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m

I'm currently in the phase where I'm staying up late watching this show!! This song is all the feels. So happy that you shared it!
    @(you need an account to see links) You're not the only one for whom this song signals bedtime!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (06-21-2023),♥ foxe ♥ (06-21-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    This always takes me back to when I was a kid and would stay up SUPER late just to watch Inyuasha.
    When the ending started playing I knew it was time for bed or else I'd get no sleep for school lol

I love this so much!
    omg, same. i remember very vividly waiting for my parents to go to bed, then i'd sneak downstairs to watch it on the family PC, on youtube in like a million parts. I'd have keep the volume down super low and rely on subs so i could hear if my parents woke up. got REALLY good at figuring out the fastest way to turn off a PC hahah. also probably what acclimatized me to subtitles in the first place.

the nostalgia is so strong, i'm glad so many people had similar experiences

was that worth it?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxe For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (06-21-2023),Lyrichord (06-21-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    77d 1h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrichord View Post
    I'm currently in the phase where I'm staying up late watching this show!! This song is all the feels. So happy that you shared it!
    @(you need an account to see links) You're not the only one for whom this song signals bedtime!
    I believe this is the reason why it's such a comfort anime and ending for me. It takes me back to my room, late at night, getting excited for the preview for the next episode lol
    ... ugh, I think I need to watch it again! I love it a ton lol

- - - Updated - - -

omg, same. i remember very vividly waiting for my parents to go to bed, then i'd sneak downstairs to watch it on the family PC, on youtube in like a million parts. I'd have keep the volume down super low and rely on subs so i could hear if my parents woke up. got REALLY good at figuring out the fastest way to turn off a PC hahah. also probably what acclimatized me to subtitles in the first place.

the nostalgia is so strong, i'm glad so many people had similar experiences
    Yup! I had to keep the volume down and even had to put a blanket at the bottom of my door as my door was RIGHT across from my parents room lol
    Toonami has so many great shows! I wish I could go back and do it all over again.
    How time goes by );

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

♥ foxe ♥ (06-21-2023),Lyrichord (06-21-2023)