DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    205 times
    Time Online
    10d 9h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Ohkay you are right they aren't athletes.

but that doesnt mean League of Legends isnt a sport

Sport - "an activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

~credit to katzes
    MY FUCKING RANDOMS YO

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-21-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    58 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Some people arnt athletically talented. Like they could build their body, run laps, but they won't be able to shoot a 3 pointer. It's like language. I can speak Japanese and English but I know a lot of white people that have been living in Japan and their Japanese writing skills are good but they just can't speak. It's either you have the talent or not.

Of course gaming is that same. If you have the talent or not.

However before if you had not athletic talent you were nobody. But now if you have talent in gaming you can actually be recognized.

Well it sucks if you suck at both of them but more opportunity for people. What's wrong with that?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikaikaisauce View Post
    Some people arnt athletically talented. Like they could build their body, run laps, but they won't be able to shoot a 3 pointer. It's like language. I can speak Japanese and English but I know a lot of white people that have been living in Japan and their Japanese writing skills are good but they just can't speak. It's either you have the talent or not.

Of course gaming is that same. If you have the talent or not.

However before if you had not athletic talent you were nobody. But now if you have talent in gaming you can actually be recognized.

Well it sucks if you suck at both of them but more opportunity for people. What's wrong with that?
    I'm not sure I followed you on that one
    So you are saying different people are good at different things? I'd agree with that.

You can be recognized on the leaderboards if youre good, make videos and what not.
    But I don't think "gaming" will ever become a big sport. Yeah people love to play video games, but there is no money in gaming... at least not MLG gaming, not like there are in sports like football, baseball, basketball.

The money in gaming is for the developers, not the players. The players provide the revenue. A professional gamer brings in next to nothing compared to other sports. So I don't see a point in having gaming be a sport, more of a hobby or past time that some people are better at than others.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    199 times
    Time Online
    129d 12h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    ALL ATHLETES ARE PLAYERS OF A GAME ANDREW!!!

also there is a reason monopoly doesn't have its own sport. I mean seriously.

It may be a game for some people but for others its what they dedicate their lives too.
    It can be seen on both sides and is viewed the same way.
    my definition of an athlete requires, as part, an intense physical ability. gaming requires intelligence, absolutely, but so do so many other things. For example, writing a novel. Writing takes dedication, persistence and skill to be successful but it's never been considered a sport nor is a writer considered an athlete.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    2d 13h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrawr View Post
    Just because YOU don't think it's exciting, doesn't mean millions of other people don't. It works both ways.
    A lot of people dont understand how deep the game goes and how much the people have to study the game.

And all this goes to show one cannot simply define "sport"

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    20d 11h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I'd rather watch intellectual warfare whether it be chess or another game where intelligent thinking, planning and strategy are the key factors.
    Not the amount someone has spent groaning, sweating and muling around like animals in order to achieve the ability to preform athletically. (Admirably)

It's an amusing conversation/debate to watch considering it's going to be those athlete buffs who have never even been on the other side fighting another side, the e-sport side claiming how intellectually superior they are to make up for the "lack" of physical activity.

I've been on both sides of the fence, I've done sports and I've done esports.
    The same mentality is on both sides usually within the right crowds. Both think they are superior due to their extreme and almost embarrassing bias.

Physical sports you're limited by your physical abilities.

Gaming, being an e-sport you're limited by your ability to out-think, react, plan and apply strategy more than you are any physical limitation.
    Unless of course you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, in that case good luck.

To disregard gaming or chess as not being a sport is as ignorant as saying what we deem as sports like baseball, basketball and hockey to be completely mindless and more reliant on the physical suitability.

Quote Originally Posted by Peta View Post
    my definition of an athlete requires, as part, an intense physical ability. gaming requires intelligence, absolutely, but so do so many other things. For example, writing a novel. Writing takes dedication, persistence and skill to be successful but it's never been considered a sport nor is a writer considered an athlete.
    Gaming itself relies on your ability to do all those things, yes.
    Without the ability to physically capitalize on those by movements of your fingers in the amount of time you need is a lot more "intense" than say an author writing a book.
    Thinking itself has an effect on you physically as with gaming you're translating your thought into action through your hands, fingers and body at a faster rate in-order to outplay another individual or multiple. What good is a sharp reaction time without the ability to move your hands faster than your opponent. It carries extreme competition in doing so.
    Last edited by Gray; 07-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    1,177 times
    Time Online
    96d 22h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m

Re: Esports

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Physical sports you're limited by your physical abilities.
    Not true at all. Athletes have to be intelligent about how they play the game. Basketball isn't just defense and shooting. Theres complex schemes of defense which the players must know or else their ass is cut. On offense, they must be in the right place at the right time. Its more than just physical ability. This applies to all sports, not just basketball :p

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    20d 11h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    Not true at all. Athletes have to be intelligent about how they play the game. Basketball isn't just defense and shooting. Theres complex schemes of defense which the players must know or else their ass is cut. On offense, they must be in the right place at the right time. Its more than just physical ability. This applies to all sports, not just basketball :p
    Very true, it doesn't matter how much intelligence you have in the game you're playing if you're physically incapable of preforming the action to do so.
    You can know the proper mechanics of all actions, all plays and strategic positions. If you aren't physically inclined to out run someone, or run long enough that leaves you at a downfall.
    Why? Because you aren't capable of preforming that physical action due to the limitations of your own physical self.

I'll put it as simply as this.

If we're running, I am a faster runner than you, I can run longer than you.
    It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, or how you decide to mark your movements, your inability to run faster than me puts you at a disadvantage.

Why? Simply because your physical limitation.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    1,177 times
    Time Online
    96d 22h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m

Re: Esports

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Very true, it doesn't matter how much intelligence you have in the game you're playing if you're physically incapable of preforming the action to do so.
    You can know the proper mechanics of all actions, all plays and strategic positions. If you aren't physically inclined to out run someone, or run long enough that leaves you at a downfall.
    Why? Because you aren't capable of preforming that physical action due to the limitations of your own physical self.

I'll put it as simply as this.

If we're running, I am a faster runner than you, I can run longer than you.
    It doesn't matter how intelligent you are, or how you decide to mark your movements, your inability to run faster than me puts you at a disadvantage.

Why? Simply because your physical limitation.
    Ohh, this is what you meant. I misunderstood your statement then, and I agree. Disregard what I just said.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    20d 11h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    Ohh, this is what you meant. I misunderstood your statement then, and I agree. Disregard what I just said.
    Which illustrates your point, the people who can't make the cut. Get cut.
    The superior player is superior because of both his abilities to out preform physically, as well as outsmart the players intellectually.