Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender identities / sexualities?

Pronouns
    they / them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    19d 18h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I dress how I like to. Anyone can wear anything they like, clothing doesn't have to be gendered, unless a cismale is a dress is really a cisfemale to you. ;D

And yes, there is something different, genderless. Which is who I am. I don't feel comfortable being male or female. I prefer not being either.

You wouldn't, though you probably would, given your statements, ask a transguy to feel comfortable being his biological gender, even though he'd rather die, right?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac106 View Post
    See I don't wanna sound like a terrible person, but this whole thing confuses me. I can understand not knowing who you're going to fall in love I guess (male or female) but you are either a guy or a girl in my mind. There is really no in between. You're either a guy or a girl. Society must be going crazy if you can just wake up and decide you don't want to be a guy or a girl, but something different (which there is nothing else different)

Okay here's my question: how do you dress? Like a guy or girl?
    I don't really want to get into it since I know a lot of people have a lot more thorough/passionate answers.
    But basically, gender is defined via society, whereas sex is defined by genetics. Ones sex (what they were born with) does not consider how a person chooses to act in society, although there are biological factors (such as estrogen/testosterone levels) that can affect a person. The idea of gender though, is what society considers a person to act. For example, if there was no social pressures, what constitutes how a person fits into "gender rolls" when their are none?
    I find that it comes down to the whole nature vs nurture debate (which again not getting into).
    Honestly its a really confusing and extensive, but basically with everything such as gender, sexual orientation (and more) it is not black & white, and it shouldn't be thought of like that. There is always a grey area where a lot of people are situated whether they realize it or not. Society was able to mold these specific "roles" for genders all the way back to the first people on earth, so its really hard to think about it without them being in place which makes stuff like gender fluidity confusing to most people bc of these roles

K to be fair, I wrote this reply at 4am so sorry if it doesn't make sense.

first question: female and straight.
    Last edited by Cub; 05-07-2014 at 06:43 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cub For This Useful Post:

dyinghearte (06-03-2014),Pusheen (05-07-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    15d 2h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    I don't really want to get into it since I know a lot of people have a lot more thorough/passionate answers.
    But basically, gender is defined via society, whereas sex is defined by genetics. Ones sex (what they were born with) does not consider how a person chooses to act in society, although there are biological factors (such as estrogen/testosterone levels) that can affect a person. The idea of gender though, is what society considers a person to act. For example, if there was no social pressures, what constitutes how a person fits into "gender rolls" when their are none?
    I find that it comes down to the whole nature vs nurture debate (which again not getting into).
    Honestly its a really confusing and extensive, but basically with everything such as gender, sexual orientation (and more) it is not black & white, and it shouldn't be thought of like that. There is always a grey area where a lot of people are situated whether they realize it or not. Society was able to mold these specific "roles" for genders all the way back to the first people on earth, so its really hard to think about it without them being in place which makes stuff like gender fluidity confusing to most people bc of these roles

K to be fair, I wrote this reply at 4am so sorry if it doesn't make sense.

first question: female and straight.
    Eh, I'm not totally sure about that explanation. It kind of seems to be mixing up gender and gender roles, which is a thing I see around a lot that makes life a lot harder for both cis and trans people. You can be a cis guy who likes pink and frilly things or a cis girl who's a huge tomboy, it doesn't make you trans. Trans people have an innate sense of their genders being different that causes it to be painful to be in the wrong body and social group.

And gender roles are really subjective, anyway. In some environments I'm considered to conform strongly to a male gender role, in other ones I'm seen as flaunting it completely. You get perceived completely differently in a Tumblr SJW environment to around your conservative Catholic grandparents.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    214 times
    Time Online
    31d 4h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I identify as female all around and I'm a lesbian. Haha.

Have a wonderful girl of four years at that! But I have gay/transgender friends, so this all seems relatively familiar to me.
    (you need an account to see links)

Want a spiffy userbar? Request one
    on my thread. ^

I will continue adding free-to-use
    userbars & Pokemon Ryugotchis!

& thank you @dankRUSE for this
    amazing drawing! ;-;

(you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    any :)
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    105 times
    Time Online
    21d 20h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddon View Post
    Eh, I'm not totally sure about that explanation. It kind of seems to be mixing up gender and gender roles, which is a thing I see around a lot that makes life a lot harder for both cis and trans people. You can be a cis guy who likes pink and frilly things or a cis girl who's a huge tomboy, it doesn't make you trans. Trans people have an innate sense of their genders being different that causes it to be painful to be in the wrong body and social group.

And gender roles are really subjective, anyway. In some environments I'm considered to conform strongly to a male gender role, in other ones I'm seen as flaunting it completely. You get perceived completely differently in a Tumblr SJW environment to around your conservative Catholic grandparents.
    this. anthropologically speaking, gender is what you personally identify as (and can include nonbinary/genderless/etc.) gender roles are defined by culture and society. sex is biological. it's a really complicated and complex topic, especially where gender roles are concerned, as those vary with culture which is an international aspect. i guess the easiest thing to compare it to (which is also by no means easy, since it is also a complex topic with a lot of awful history behind it) is how ancestry is biological but race is a social construct.

[/cultural anthropology class notes]

additionally, i am a cis female, gray-asexual, gray-aromantic. i actually don't want to sign myself off to full asexuality and aromanticism yet, hence the gray, but i have never liked anyone that way so i don't know if it's just because no one has caught my interest or i am just full out uninterested in the world

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    19d 16h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I'm boring and straight, but this is very interesting to me because I don't know many people IRL who identify differently.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    1,177 times
    Time Online
    96d 22h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    what made you want to identify differently? @(you need an account to see links) i'm really curious about it and i never really saw the views of people who don't identify as male/female and it's a bizarre concept to me. i've always seen it as you're either male or female, you can choose to not conform to the gender roles given by society to those genders but i don't see how you can call yourself genderless. why not just call it a female who just doesn't fit the social norm of females?

Pronouns
    they / them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    19d 18h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    Because I don't wish to be female, nor do I wish to be male.
    Genderlessness is sort of like being trans, in a way... you don't feel comfortable as your biological gender, so you'd be more comfortable as the opposite.
    I don't feel comfortable as either. I don't identify as trans, nor do I identify as female. :/

Being genderless is what suits me best.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angeldust For This Useful Post:

Eed (03-11-2015),Q*bert (05-07-2014),Slybele (06-29-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    17h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolita View Post
    Because I don't wish to be female, nor do I wish to be male.
    Genderlessness is sort of like being trans, in a way... you don't feel comfortable as your biological gender, so you'd be more comfortable as the opposite.
    I don't feel comfortable as either. I don't identify as trans, nor do I identify as female. :/

Being genderless is what suits me best.
    forgive me for butting in, love, but I'm a bit surprised at how many people don't understand the concept of identifying as genderless.
    it seems to me like telling someone their favorite flavor of ice cream can't possibly be strawberry because strawberry isn't a real flavor. it has to be chocolate or vanilla.
    I don't identify as being genderless, but it doesn't seem a hard concept to me. your identity simply doesn't fall on either end of the gender spectrum. it's that simple.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holy Ghost For This Useful Post:

angeldust (05-07-2014),Q*bert (05-07-2014),Slybele (06-29-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    60/2
    Mentioned
    91 times
    Time Online
    31d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Male, sapiosexual/heteroflexible.
    Last edited by txtsd; 05-08-2014 at 01:44 AM.