Thread: Help with a few good testable/survey-able research questions?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    47d 5h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

Help with a few good testable/survey-able research questions?

I have to write a paper in school, around 6000 words, where we can basically pick any research topic and narrow it down to testable question through methods of case studies/surveys/etc. The question should have a for, or an against point of view, where I choose a side and find evidence to support it through my research. Note that this isn't much of an actual scientific experiment, but rather a record of the opinions of the general public.

The thing is, I have a few questions in mind, but none of them are really testable with the general public. I would really like a topic focused in the area of Psychology, but most questions that I'm thinking up of, are in my opinion, breaching the privacy of those I ask (strangers). For example, I wanted to ask a question on the topic of depression, but since that's a very sensitive subject, those I ask may not answer truthfully or wish to open up the information to me, leading to inaccurate data on my part.

I'd greatly appreciate it if any of you are able to chuck some ideas at me. It doesn't have to be in the area of psychology, as long as it's testable and not too overly controversial.
    Will +rep!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    32d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I think what you need maybe, is something highly controversial because a lot of people seem to have strong opinions about those things one way or another and are willing to speak their mind about why THEY'RE right, which I guess is why it'd be controversial in the first place. Examples would be like abortion/family planning, gun control, etc etc.

DER HUMPINK

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brittanee For This Useful Post:

Oreo (10-03-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,191 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    I don't think depression is that bad of an idea. I guess the important part is that all people who take your survey don't have to write their name on it. A few of my classmates, a few years ago, did use that subject and got representative and not biased results. Just don't ask directly in the survey if they suffer from depression "yes/no", but instead use more global questions to deduce if they do have in fact depression or not.

However, if you really don't want to play in that area, I think food problems and self esteem are something you can definitely get good results for and would be rather fun/easy to make a survey with!
    @(you need an account to see links)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

Oreo (10-03-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    47d 5h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittanee View Post
    I think what you need maybe, is something highly controversial because a lot of people seem to have strong opinions about those things one way or another and are willing to speak their mind about why THEY'RE right, which I guess is why it'd be controversial in the first place. Examples would be like abortion/family planning, gun control, etc etc.
    Hmmm I didn't think of that, I suppose you're right. I found that most controversial topics already have quite a bit of research done on and part of my grade includes creativity of some sort.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    I don't think depression is that bad of an idea. I guess the important part is that all people who take your survey don't have to write their name on it. A few of my classmates, a few years ago, did use that subject and got representative and not biased results. Just don't ask directly in the survey if they suffer from depression "yes/no", but instead use more global questions to deduce if they do have in fact depression or not.

However, if you really don't want to play in that area, I think food problems and self esteem are something you can definitely get good results for and would be rather fun/easy to make a survey with!
    @(you need an account to see links)
    The thing is, since the essay needs to be quite long, I may need to ask questions that are a bit more in depth than yes or no ones. Such as what they believe caused their depression, etc. but thank you!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,191 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Hmmm I didn't think of that, I suppose you're right. I found that most controversial topics already have quite a bit of research done on and part of my grade includes creativity of some sort.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

The thing is, since the essay needs to be quite long, I may need to ask questions that are a bit more in depth than yes or no ones. Such as what they believe caused their depression, etc. but thank you!
    Yea, that was my point! I meant not to ask yes/no questions! Sorry for the confusion. There's definitely a way to make your survey about depression by asking more in depth questions. However, did you pick where your sample will come from? Because you'd mostly need people who do suffer from depression to answer your survey and I'm not sure if it's that easy to find in a school as an example.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    47d 5h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links) ah you're right that's probably another reason why depression isn't the best route to go. Guess I'm fresh out of ideas now xD

Two samples that I've been thinking of doing are either children from an elementary school, teenagers from a high school, or parents from either.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,191 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) ah you're right that's probably another reason why depression isn't the best route to go. Guess I'm fresh out of ideas now xD

Two samples that I've been thinking of doing are either children from an elementary school, teenagers from a high school, or parents from either.
    Why not experiment the influence of grades (or something else, whatever you like!) on self esteem with teenagers from a high school? Just a thought! I think a lot of teenagers have self esteem issues so it definitely has potential.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

Oreo (10-04-2015)