Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What unsolved mystery do you hope to see solved in your lifetime?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Good to know re David Paulides, I had just heard bits and pieces about the series and googled very little about it. Found it intriguing at face value but perhaps now I won't look into it.
    @(you need an account to see links), honestly it's still interesting stuff. I read it. I just also think it's important to keep in mind that some of what he posits might not actually be truth. I read his Bigfoot stuff too. I love cryptid lore. But I don't actually believe that some missing people in National Parks or whatever have been kidnapped by Bigfoot.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Fiore (02-20-2021),rio (02-18-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    93d 20h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 4m
    The Dyatlov pass accident has been probably solved, or anyway it is a very logical and satisfying theory that they were killed by a special kind of avalanche, if I recall correctly one where ice forms on top of snow into some kind of sharp edged plate, which at one point slid off the snow and crushed their tent. It killed a few of the Russian hikers (hence the decapitated guy and the ones with blunt trauma). The ones who did survive were not able to rebuild the tent (maybe injured as well) and stripped off their clothes at one point because of hypothermia (hence why some were naked). There was also a guy with a missing tongue I believe, which could've been scavengers (birds for example) who usually go for the easy accessible body parts (such as the lips, tongue). Here's an article on it: (you need an account to see links)

One "mystery" that has always stuck with me and which I really hope will be solved one day (in a satisfying manner aka catching the serial killer) is that of the Highway of Tears: (you need an account to see links). It is a part of highway in Canada where a lot of mostly indigenous women (but also men) have been missing or found murdered*. This has been happening since the 70s and with the large scale of it all it of course cannot be one killer, but still it seems there are some fucked up individuals who live around there and prey especially on people from less fortunate and "weaker" parts of society, those without a stable home, those who faced a lot of racism, those who were on the run from domestic abuse or drug abuse, those who wanted a better life, those who had no protector... I can't say for sure cause I'm not Canadian/American, but I have a feeling that if it were white girls from middle income happy homes this would've been long solved or at least attract a lot more attention...

*Edit: just to clarify some of these cases have been solved as "ordinary" domestic disputes, and also 2 serial killers have been prosecuted over the years, but still many cases aren't solved and many are still missing.
    Last edited by Erik.; 02-17-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (03-01-2021),Double.Trouble (02-17-2021),DrBumfinger (02-28-2021),Fiore (02-20-2021),Furina (02-18-2021),Goddammit (02-17-2021),rio (02-18-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik. View Post
    The Dyatlov pass accident has been probably solved, or anyway it is a very logical and satisfying theory that they were killed by a special kind of avalanche, if I recall correctly one where ice forms on top of snow into some kind of sharp edged plate, which at one point slid off the snow and crushed their tent. It killed a few of the Russian hikers (hence the decapitated guy and the ones with blunt trauma). The ones who did survive were not able to rebuild the tent (maybe injured as well) and stripped off their clothes at one point because of hypothermia (hence why some were naked). There was also a guy with a missing tongue I believe, which could've been scavengers (birds for example) who usually go for the easy accessible body parts (such as the lips, tongue). Here's an article on it: (you need an account to see links)

One "mystery" that has always stuck with me and which I really hope will be solved one day (in a satisfying manner aka catching the serial killer) is that of the Highway of Tears: (you need an account to see links). It is a part of highway in Canada where a lot of mostly indigenous women (but also men) have been missing or found murdered. This has been happening since the 70s and with the large scale of it all it of course cannot be one killer, but still it seems there are some fucked up individuals who live around there and prey especially on people from less fortunate and "weaker" parts of society, those without a stable home, those who faced a lot of racism, those who were on the run from domestic abuse or drug abuse, those who wanted a better life, those who had no protector... I can't say for sure cause I'm not Canadian/American, but I have a feeling that if it were white girls from middle income happy homes this would've been long solved or at least attract a lot more attention...
    I am American and I can promise you if it were white girls from middle income happy homes it would have been publicized everywhere.

Missing white woman syndrome is a real thing

(you need an account to see links)

And it's a damn shame. There's a lot of speculation that more famous cases involving people of color could have/would have been solved much sooner/at all had the victims been missing white women/children.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (03-01-2021),Double.Trouble (02-17-2021),Erik. (02-17-2021),Fiore (02-20-2021),kittyray (02-17-2021),rio (02-24-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    134/0
    Mentioned
    96 times
    Time Online
    64d 4h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    The Dorothy Jane Scott abduction and murder has always sent chills down my spine. ( (you need an account to see links) ) I listened to a podcast about her a while ago and it was mind blowing. She had been receiving phone calls over months from a man who kept professing his love for her. But on other occasions, he would spew hating threats. For example, during one phone call, he told Dorothy �When I get you alone, I will cut you up into bits so no one will ever find you.� In addition, he knew the initial details of Dorothy�s daily life and even could describe for her what she was wearing that day. Even more disturbing, during one of the calls, he told Dorothy to go outside and check her car. When she did, she found a dead rose on her windshield. Dorothy told friends and family that the caller�s voice was familiar, but she couldn�t figure out how. These phone calls were so disturbing that Dorothy began taking karate classes and considered buying a gun.

She was abducted after driving a work college to the hospital. While her friend was in the hospital getting finished up Dorothy decided to go back outside and bring her car round ready to pick them up, but when her friend saw her car coming towards them it drove straight past with its high beams on and out of the parking lot, after not hearing from her for a few hours later they reported her missing, i believe the day after her car was found 10 miles away in a ally on fire but with no trace of her inside, her remains where found 4 years later along side a dead dog on Santa Ana Canyon Road in Anaheim Hills. No arrests have ever been made and her killer has never been found. What makes it even worse that a week after she was abducted her parents kept receiving phone calls from an unidentified man who said things like he "has her" or had "killed her" the calls usually happened when her mum was home alone which makes you think the killer was/had been watching the house. She also leaves beind a son who was only 4 at the time which is heart breaking.

I would LOVE for this case to be solved and the killer brought to justice even after 41 years but unless someone comes forward with new information or the killer makes a deathbed confession i dont see how it can, but i so hope im wrong.

Here is a link to the podcast i listened to

Trace Evidence Podcast is one of my favourite crime youtubers, he covers so many missing persons cases & unsolved murders with compassion and goes into so much detail on each case.
    If you like this kind of stuff definitely give him a watch. I so hope all cases can all be solved someday ♥
    Last edited by Bea; 02-17-2021 at 06:57 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bea For This Useful Post:

Aero (02-20-2021),Fiore (02-20-2021),Goddammit (02-18-2021),rio (02-21-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    19d 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatella Versace View Post
    I have my theories. Have any of you guys seen the unsolved mysteries episode on this?!

I have not, but I love theories about events like this, because again, someone knows something about it.
    Its very eerie regarding what was said about it being manmade to "transport" a virus, given some of the conspiracies about covid.

I'm largely convinced by science but I love to be convinced otherwise and hear other peoples points of view. Discussions like this are so great because everyone has a different interpretation of things.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    @(you need an account to see links), honestly it's still interesting stuff. I read it. I just also think it's important to keep in mind that some of what he posits might not actually be truth. I read his Bigfoot stuff too. I love cryptid lore. But I don't actually believe that some missing people in National Parks or whatever have been kidnapped by Bigfoot.
    I used to listen to a podcast about unsolved cryptid based sightings and mysteries but I don't either. I did think there might be more to those disappearances though in terms of a parallel universe/spirit power but I'm not sure what.

The origins of mermaids and loch ness monster etc are so fascinating, I guess those were the unsolved mysteries back then before the internet. I wonder if its like the game chinese whispers where it just got more and more distorted over time, or if multiple people have individually experienced the same thing.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rio For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (02-19-2021),Fiore (02-20-2021),Goddammit (02-18-2021)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    155 times
    Time Online
    51d 6h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bea View Post
    The Dorothy Jane Scott abduction and murder has always sent chills down my spine. ( (you need an account to see links) ) I listened to a podcast about her a while ago and it was mind blowing. She had been receiving phone calls over months from a man who kept professing his love for her. But on other occasions, he would spew hating threats. For example, during one phone call, he told Dorothy “When I get you alone, I will cut you up into bits so no one will ever find you.” In addition, he knew the initial details of Dorothy’s daily life and even could describe for her what she was wearing that day. Even more disturbing, during one of the calls, he told Dorothy to go outside and check her car. When she did, she found a dead rose on her windshield. Dorothy told friends and family that the caller’s voice was familiar, but she couldn’t figure out how. These phone calls were so disturbing that Dorothy began taking karate classes and considered buying a gun.

She was abducted after driving a work college to the hospital. While her friend was in the hospital getting finished up Dorothy decided to go back outside and bring her car round ready to pick them up, but when her friend saw her car coming towards them it drove straight past with its high beams on and out of the parking lot, after not hearing from her for a few hours later they reported her missing, i believe the day after her car was found 10 miles away in a ally on fire but with no trace of her inside, her remains where found 4 years later along side a dead dog on Santa Ana Canyon Road in Anaheim Hills. No arrests have ever been made and her killer has never been found. What makes it even worse that a week after she was abducted her parents kept receiving phone calls from an unidentified man who said things like he "has her" or had "killed her" the calls usually happened when her mum was home alone which makes you think the killer was/had been watching the house. She also leaves beind a son who was only 4 at the time which is heart breaking.

I would LOVE for this case to be solved and the killer brought to justice even after 41 years but unless someone comes forward with new information or the killer makes a deathbed confession i dont see how it can, but i so hope im wrong.

Here is a link to the podcast i listened to

Trace Evidence Podcast is one of my favourite crime youtubers, he covers so many missing persons cases & unsolved murders with compassion and goes into so much detail on each case.
    If you like this kind of stuff definitely give him a watch. I so hope all cases can all be solved someday ♥
    This is another one that baffles me. Like, she had to take a co-worker to the hospital (I think it was a spider bite?) so she took the co-worker, along with another person (I assume another co-worker/friend) to the hospital and when they were leaving she was like I'll go get the car and then nothing happens until her co-workers just saw her car zoom by. Like, wtf. It's not like it was a planned trip to the hospital or anything either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Goddammit For This Useful Post:

Bea (02-19-2021)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    134/0
    Mentioned
    96 times
    Time Online
    64d 4h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddammit View Post
    This is another one that baffles me. Like, she had to take a co-worker to the hospital (I think it was a spider bite?) so she took the co-worker, along with another person (I assume another co-worker/friend) to the hospital and when they were leaving she was like I'll go get the car and then nothing happens until her co-workers just saw her car zoom by. Like, wtf. It's not like it was a planned trip to the hospital or anything either.
    Thats right it was a Spider bite, and that confuses me to, it makes me wonder if it was someone she worked with or someone who maybe worked in her building and took a liking to her, she knew them to say Hello to but thats it thats why she recognised the voice, and he followed them from there. Its horrible to think about what she must of gone though when she realised who it was such a sad case.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    56 times
    Time Online
    13d 5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    2. MH370
    This happened somewhat close to home for me so perhaps that plays a factor in why its always stuck with me, I just find it so incredible that an entire plane with 240 odd people can just disappear without a trace. I know this was 2014 and technology has advanced a lot since then, but I'm sorry, how do we have only theories about what happened? What were all our satellites doing? How have multiple parts washed up in 6 (if I remember correctly) different countries and we have no solid theories? Why the U-turn? I understand the open ocean is wild and vastly unexplored but... I just really can't stand that really we can only speculate. I can't imagine how the families of these people feel. Hopefully in time we can reassess the pieces that have washed up in a similar way to how we can test DNA today and solve cases from 20 years ago and get some answers.
    Argh, I had a whole response to this thing but my internet ate it.

Anyways The Atlantic had a great dive into this mystery and it's mostly solved at this point. At least Langewiesche makes a really compelling case of what happened.
    (you need an account to see links)

~ lyla the bard ~
    in all things, be kind

^-- me looking at the Neo Trades boards on clraik

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bellz For This Useful Post:

Erik. (02-20-2021),kittyray (02-20-2021),rio (02-21-2021)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    56d 4h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    OMG thank you for this thread! Here's my picks:

Phoenix Coldon: A young adult vanished without a trace on her way to a nearby market in 2011. Her car was found abandoned (many accounts dispute that the engine was still running) about half an hour away from her home. Her car was empty, save for some shoes, her ID and a few other things. Any accounts she had have ceased activity since she went missing. There have been very few leads regarding her case but many suspect she was abducted and trafficked. She was a seemingly religious girl but she was shown to be deeply troubled and started to get mixed up with some unsavory people. What happened to poor Phoenix? Evidence from her vehicle suggest there was no signs of a struggle and no other DNA was found. What happened when she exited her car? Did she lie about going to the market? Was she abducted? Is she still out there somewhere?

Asha Degree: A timid little girl goes missing on Valentines Day 2000. Afraid of the dark and storms, she left the safety of her her home in the wee hours of the morning to God knows where. Passing motorists claim to have seen her walking along the road, and when one tries to approach her she darts off into the woods. She wasn't seen since then. Months later her backpack (which was wrapped up in plastic) turned up at a construction site with a few odd things; a Dr. Seuss book, a New Kids on the Block tee and other undisclosed items. What compelled this little 9 year old to leave under those circumstances? Was she being coaxed? Groomed? Who discarded her backpack? What was going through her mind as she left her house? Late last year a convict came forward and claimed she was murdered and he knows where the body is but as of right now nothing has come of it.

There are a shitload of unsolved missing persons cases and it was really hard to narrow it down. Was going to mention I would also like to see Madeleine McCann, The Delphi Murders, and JonBenet get solved.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fiore For This Useful Post:

Goddammit (02-21-2021),kittyray (02-20-2021),rio (02-21-2021)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    57 times
    Time Online
    5d 15h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I would love to see the murder of Phoebe Handsjuk solved, mostly because I think it's pretty clear her boyfriend killed her and it makes me so angry that he got away with it because his father is a big shot lawyer. The negligence of justice in that case is so awful.

Another one is the Isdal Woman, that case just makes me feel absolutely rabid.
    I want to know who she is and what happened to her so badly!

I would have said the Dyatlov Pass incident as well but I'm almost certain it was recently solved?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nameless Ghoul For This Useful Post:

rio (02-24-2021)