DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Please remember that this thread is in the debate zone. You are subject to the rules in this section. Furthermore, please view the rules thread if you don't remember them. Also, please view this thread for reference.
    (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It irritates me that many "believers" are so ignorant and become judgmental as a consequence of it. I don't have a problem with religion directly, but when a person starts to say things like, "well gay people shouldn't be gay, because that's not what I believe in" then it starts to become a huge issue. These people seem to think the world revolves around them, and that their belief is the only one that's right (no matter what kind of scientific evidence/basic common logic they're provided with) and that is my major concern. It is also true (though I suppose debatable like all things) that most major wars were started based on religion and differences of beliefs.

If someone wants to believe something I'm absolutely fine with that, provided they don't try to share it with everyone else, and don't go around promoting hate and discrimination. But, like someone else already mentioned, the problem lies within the people themselves, and not the actual religion. There are -plenty- of people out there who don't believe in any particular religion but discriminate against ethnicity/sexual orientation/gender. It's a problem of the ages and I doubt it will ever see a full end.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    83 times
    Time Online
    13d 20h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Yes and No. I'm divided on this. Some important events in history and people would not have had occurred if it wasn't for religion...

However! I think religion is detrimental in 3rd world countries (and some 2nd and 1st world countries but mainly just 3rd) for a couple of reasons. And for the following i am talking about all religions and all gods. From witch-doctors to zeus and ra to yahweh. No one can ever prove that any god exist therefore they must all be legit gods (yay for zeus. the one and only true god amiright?)

Religion is a form of suppression, especially towards women.
    Based on superstition - e.g raping a virgin will cure a man of aids
    Used immorally and incorrectly -e.g using the concept of god to punish people now (do this or spend eternity in hell/limbo/punishment)
    Also a form of mental abuse.
    Usually restricts or interferes with other laws that society may need.
    Restricts education
    Creates an us and them mentality (we believe that whilst they believe that, they are more likely to be wrong and we are right etc).
    Discriminates.

I think in a developing country religion just gets in the way and without it, i think some problems (not all, some) could be avoided and resolved.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    6d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I think you have a good split of people when it comes to whether religion positively or negatively effects them. I love people who are moral and ethical and choose to live an honest and open lifestyle without using the Bible to discriminate or hurt anyone else. By open, I mean that they are willing to see the points of views of others. Then you have the people who take religion to hate other people. They cannot get past the point that other people are have different religions or have no religion at all. So religion can do a positive or a negative thing, but it depends on the person.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    4d 3h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Religion is what turns the world

without religion, the world be nothing

lets face it.
    Last edited by Purple; 01-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I don't believe that faith is necessarily a bad thing. I'm an atheist, but I describe myself as a passive atheist- I don't believe but if you want to then that's fine.

I think it's important to distinguish between faith(belief in some sort of God) and religion(as an institution used to control people). I think the problem lies not in the basic principles of most Western religions(Turn the other cheek, treat others as you would wish to be treated, love thy neighbour etc) but in its manipulation and use as an oppressive force by various Religious Institutions. For example, the Catholic Church's continued vilification of Condoms and the way that has facilitated the rapid spread of AIDS across the world.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    1d 16h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    How can you say religion is absurd??? The basis of almost every religion is equality, peace, justice, love, etc...

I dont know of a religion where the main qualities consist of things like killing, hatred, etc...

What is a detriment to society is the fact that there are stupid extremists....extremists of religious groups who are hostile people are also detriments. This isnt because of the religion. Its because the stupid people dont interpret things correctly...or follow the religion how it should be followed. Anybody can follow/believe in whatever they want, it isnt a big deal. What is a big deal is when stupid people get involved in things where conflicting ideas may occur...like religion. They become all extreme and ignorant and become a threat.

simply ignore the stupids of the world and life will be great.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Useful Post:

Azn (01-10-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Religion isn't evil. I can't imagine living a life without some kind of belief of an afterlife or some kind of hopeful security blanket- because that's what religion really is, a security blanket. The evil in the world doesn't come from religion; it comes from humans and what they choose to do with it. They can choose to starts wars (Crusades) or start movements (Gandhi) or choose to use religion for power (modern day political Islam). People do crazy things with religion... insult, command, control, instill fear. It's become a power source, but it's the humans' fault not religion's.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    8h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

This is slightly off-topic on the religion violence you guys are currently discussing but I wanted to post this because I agree with the message this is trying to send, it doesn't do it exactly very well because I think it intended to speak to atheists when it probably spoke to Christians, but I thought I'd share it anyway. He's pretty much saying he dislikes when people put a face on for church and he dislikes organized religion but loves Jesus and what he believes in. I believe people have taken the core fundamentals of religion out of what they believe in by interpreting things how THEY want instead of how it was intended and that's what causes the "evil".
    L A U R E N
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
    Learn as if you were to live forever." ~ Gandhi

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    19h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
    ^^ I totally had the same idea, lol.

I believe that religion is necessary. We are the only animals on the planet that for see our inevitable demise. The only animals that are haunted by that threat day in and day out from the beginning to the very end. In order to keep from being in that state of 'fight or flight' constantly we have to have something to alleviate that fear - and even though religion can't solve our problems it takes great steps to comfort the fearful and quell that undeniable terror that would otherwise destroy us.
    Now, I know that not every atheist is this way, but it seems like most are stressed, depressed, and extremely angry. All the time. That fear of death is all consuming and I believe that without something to shield you from it you just become scared and sad - "What's the point?" "Why does any of this matter?" "How do I matter?" "Why should I bother?" - religion tries to answer these questions, and when you plead with the cosmos and cry out that you don't want to die, religion holds you close and tells you it's going to be okay.
    That's all anyone really needs. To be told it's going to be okay, that they're safe, and that they mean something.

I'm not an expert but that's what I believe. When I found religion it helped me feel better.
    There was a hole here. It's gone now.