Thread: Using Gen AI to revolutionise the healthcare industry?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    5d 23h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m

Using Gen AI to revolutionise the healthcare industry?

With all the use of generative AI in various fields, how else could it be used to improve the healthcare industry for patients? Or perhaps hospital operations?

Perhaps LLM could be used to better perform medical report writing? Or predicting chronic diseases?

Any other interesting ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stss For This Useful Post:

Charmander (01-19-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    25d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    A topic close to my heart!

I'm a clinical PhD student and use gen AI in my research - can't give specifics, but indirectly I hope it might benefit patients.

Gen AI has also been very useful so far in my medical training, lots of revision and teaching resources (i.e. simulated patient consultations) coming down the pipe. So again it's indirect, but better trained doctors = better healthcare.

+ it's also very helpful to use ChatGPT as a learning tool when coming up with differential Dx etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Parrot For This Useful Post:

Charmander (01-19-2024)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    157d 12h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    I was just talking to on our my physician coworkers the other day about ways AI could improve Healthcare workers day to day.

If we could somehow have charting managed by AI it would be amazing. So most of our patients are hooked up to monitors where readings go right into our EMR system. What I thought would be cool is basically you would have a camera observing porceedures interactions etc and through review of the video it would create your chart note. What was done what was said etc. Now this opens a while can of worms with privacy and storing video etc. But it would be a great way to remove some subjectivity in charting with AI capturing what was objectively done. I do feel though the interpretation of how treatment was received and steps moving forward would still need to be done by the clinician. But even if objective portions of notes were started by AI and then the clinician cljust had to come by and finish the notes that could be a huge time saver. I also think it would also help protect patients and Healthcare workers when it comes to legal situations as well.

Anyways that was my brief hey this would be cool and save time to allow us to provide more direct patient care..

Ps don't steal my million dollar idea *shakes fist*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Aero (01-19-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    25d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander View Post
    I was just talking to on our my physician coworkers the other day about ways AI could improve Healthcare workers day to day.

If we could somehow have charting managed by AI it would be amazing. So most of our patients are hooked up to monitors where readings go right into our EMR system. What I thought would be cool is basically you would have a camera observing porceedures interactions etc and through review of the video it would create your chart note. What was done what was said etc. Now this opens a while can of worms with privacy and storing video etc. But it would be a great way to remove some subjectivity in charting with AI capturing what was objectively done. I do feel though the interpretation of how treatment was received and steps moving forward would still need to be done by the clinician. But even if objective portions of notes were started by AI and then the clinician cljust had to come by and finish the notes that could be a huge time saver. I also think it would also help protect patients and Healthcare workers when it comes to legal situations as well.

Anyways that was my brief hey this would be cool and save time to allow us to provide more direct patient care..

This is an interesting concept, but I think in my country at least this wouldn't fly due to privacy laws. + it smacks a bit of a panopticon lol, having been a patient myself recently as well as a HCP I wouldn't want health interactions with myself in either the role of the clinician or the patient to be recorded. I don't think the general population would buy into it and there would 100% be huge scope for this data to be abused and misappropriated.

Disregarding the fact that the practice of medicine should in my eyes remain fundamentally between people with AI playing at a maximum an assisting role, having technology play such a fundamental part in the consulting/documenting process would require a paradigm shift in the way medicine is practiced - and a worldwide financial investment to the tune of billions. I can't really see this working.

Where I see AI having a more useful and day-to-day function in the near future is assisting in areas of medicine that rely strongly on pattern recognition and not patient interaction, i.e. reviewing routine imaging before sign off/agreement of results by a medic, or in disease screening/prevention (AI can predict e.g. development of OA about 5-10 years before development of clinical symptoms last I heard, due to something like detecting subtle fluctuations in water gradients in synovial fluid on US/CT that are imperceptable to the human eye).

I attended a conference this year in which some academic radiologist colleagues described AI as being useful to enhance our skills and elevate our potential as medics, and I really like that.
    Last edited by Parrot; 01-19-2024 at 08:37 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Parrot For This Useful Post:

Charmander (01-19-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    5d 23h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrot View Post
    A topic close to my heart!

I'm a clinical PhD student and use gen AI in my research - can't give specifics, but indirectly I hope it might benefit patients.

Gen AI has also been very useful so far in my medical training, lots of revision and teaching resources (i.e. simulated patient consultations) coming down the pipe. So again it's indirect, but better trained doctors = better healthcare.

+ it's also very helpful to use ChatGPT as a learning tool when coming up with differential Dx etc.
    Oooo interesting stuff! My course plays around with VR to train us on patient care as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander View Post

Would speech to text perhaps be better to prevent privacy concerns? I believe taiwan hospitals has started something like this

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stss For This Useful Post:

Charmander (01-19-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    25d 21h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Stss View Post
    Oooo interesting stuff! My course plays around with VR to train us on patient care as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Would speech to text perhaps be better to prevent privacy concerns? I believe taiwan hospitals has started something like this
    Speech to text would be a better way to implement. Clinicians use dictaphones to create clinical letters etc anyway, if models could be developed that basically mimicked a medical secretary a lot of manpower could be diverted away from writing up letters/notes and towards more important tasks pertaining to the running of healthcare systems that actually require brainpower, lmao.

I still don't think it would be very useful to create speech to text renditions of whole consultations, but if clinical documentation could be taken over by AI-linked dictaphone I'd be all for that!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Parrot For This Useful Post:

Charmander (01-19-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1d 23h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm an outsider, but is there concern over the idea that the data that these things are being trained on might have biases, like sexism and racism?

Could AI be instead used to detect when there might be bias in the way patients are being treated or perceived, sort of like an audit? I know it's a multitude of issues leading to people receiving inadequate care, but it seems like it would be a cool area to explore.

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    157d 12h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Sorry for the delay in response. I have been at work and you guessed it bogged down by charting haha
    @(you need an account to see links) there are loads of dictation apps and software that can integrate into our EMR however sadly those are only accessible to physicians. So staff like allied health, nurses etc do not have access to this. Charting can take up a huge part of the day and can take away from patient care.
    @(you need an account to see links) oh I 100% agree this I reality would be a huge can of worms to open with both privacy as well as what happens with that data. As a practitioner having my actions recorded potentially scrutinized its quite an eerie feeling. Nothing to hide but it is for sure a Big Brother situation.

In a dream world where no-one stole.private I formation it would be great to have an objective non biased view and recording of patient care interactions. At times I catch myself thinking...was that the objective view.or do I have a personal biased slant on what I am charting. Having some way of having the documentation done without bias and also accurately depic what happened and put it in chart form would be a time save and allow for more patient care. In addition could help in medical legal cases. Could also help save the butts of those who just blatantly don't chart either haha.

Like I said it's my ideal dream world idea haha

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Parrot (01-19-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    190 times
    Time Online
    85d 10h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    my research is in this area so i'm curious to read all the reactions here :eyes:

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Charmander (01-19-2024),kittyray (01-19-2024)