Thread: Non-committal, streamlined anime suggestions?

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

Non-committal, streamlined anime suggestions?

I'm looking for some suggestions on anime that are relatively non-committal and streamlined.
    By non-committal I mean ones that aren't still ongoing and less than 50-ish episodes, and by streamlined I mean ones that don't have huge chunks of filler.
    Most of the current mainstream stuff I've heard either has a metric ton of filler, or is simply much longer/still ongoing. And I've already seen the older mainstream stuff. I'm more than happy to hear if any of you think otherwise, though. And those aren't "harsh" boundaries, if it's 70 episodes but worth it I'll give it a shot.

So, I'm looking for recommendations.
    I like horror the most, plus space opera, comedy, action, and even slice of life if there's an ongoing plot.
    I also really like the weird 5-10 minute episodes that can all be knocked out or fit a weird niche, like Comical Psychosomatic Medicine.

이 끝에 우린 여기서
    지금 모습으로
    무엇이 돼야 한다면

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pepper-Mint For This Useful Post:

caviar (01-12-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Your Lie In April, Angel Beats, Horimiya, Fruits Basket, Gosick.

These are all relatively good in my opinion and aren't that long.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Swablu For This Useful Post:

Pepper-Mint (01-12-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    11d 8h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    99% you've already seen these since they are older classics... BUT...

Elfen Lied - 13 episodes

Paranoia Agent - 13 episodes

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 64 episodes

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 39 episodes

Nana - 47 episodes

FILMS: Paprika, Perfect Blue

I will think about newer anime and come back with some more recommendations, but I agree with what you're saying for the most part about newer stuff.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aymo For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (01-13-2024),Peaches_and_Mocha (01-12-2024),Pepper-Mint (01-14-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 4h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by aymo View Post
    99% you've already seen these since they are older classics... BUT...

Elfen Lied - 13 episodes

Paranoia Agent - 13 episodes

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 64 episodes

Revolutionary Girl Utena - 39 episodes

FILMS: Paprika, Perfect Blue

I will think about newer anime and come back with some more recommendations, but I agree with what you're saying for the most part about newer stuff.
    Elfen Lied is SUCH a good show. I need to rewatch it. I absolutely love that music box theme

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper-Mint View Post
    I'm looking for some suggestions on anime that are relatively non-committal and streamlined.
    By non-committal I mean ones that aren't still ongoing and less than 50-ish episodes, and by streamlined I mean ones that don't have huge chunks of filler.
    Most of the current mainstream stuff I've heard either has a metric ton of filler, or is simply much longer/still ongoing. And I've already seen the older mainstream stuff. I'm more than happy to hear if any of you think otherwise, though. And those aren't "harsh" boundaries, if it's 70 episodes but worth it I'll give it a shot.

So, I'm looking for recommendations.
    I like horror the most, plus space opera, comedy, action, and even slice of life if there's an ongoing plot.
    I also really like the weird 5-10 minute episodes that can all be knocked out or fit a weird niche, like Comical Psychosomatic Medicine.
    Most of the recommendations I received from the the thread I made last week are non-committal. I combined all of them into a "master post" to include a short synopsis. I'll go through them again and add the episode length just to make sure
    /l、
    (゚、 。 7

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*Check out my Guide!✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peaches_and_Mocha For This Useful Post:

aymo (01-12-2024),Pepper-Mint (01-14-2024)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches_and_Mocha View Post
    Elfen Lied is SUCH a good show. I need to rewatch it. I absolutely love that music box theme

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the recommendations I received from the the thread I made last week are non-committal. I combined all of them into a "master post" to include a short synopsis. I'll go through them again and add the episode length just to make sure
    I saw Elfen Lied and really liked it! Short, solid horror, decent plot, and yes that gorgeous intro!
    And thank you for linking that! I saw the post last week but wasn't sure if it included what I was looking for and was a bit intimidated, so I appreciate you putting in the effort that also includes the synopsis. I'll definitely go through it.

이 끝에 우린 여기서
    지금 모습으로
    무엇이 돼야 한다면

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pepper-Mint For This Useful Post:

Peaches_and_Mocha (01-13-2024)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 11h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    mirai nikki is a pretty solid one. Short, sweet, awesome. Pretty gory and horror.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Pepper-Mint (01-14-2024)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    392 times
    Time Online
    163d 21h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    How do you feel about the 'girls with guns' subgenre?

Two of my favorites fall under this -- Early 2000's anime, when I was first getting into the genre.

Noir - It follows two young female assassins who embark on a journey to seek answers about their past. While at first they seem to be only vaguely connected to each other, developments throughout the episodes indicate that their lives have been intertwined since childhood.

Madlax - Madlax is an ‘agent’, a freelance soldier and natural killer who nonetheless hates violence, working for a man she only knows as a voice on a telephone in Gazth-Sonika, a south-east Asian nation wracked by a bloody civil war. Margaret is a student in faraway Nafrece, sleepy and quiet, who seems to drift through life as if in a daze and whose only link to a past she can’t recall is a tattered picture book with mystical words in it. Yet events will be set in motion which will set these two girls spinning towards each other as the mystery of their shared past threatens to come to fulfillment with cataclysmic results…

Both are 26 episodes, and both have gorgeous soundtracks. I watched both as ADV dubs back in "the day," but you may enjoy the original audio and subs more, whatever your preference.

There's a 3rd "spiritual successor" to this duo called El Cazador de la Bruja, but I never made it to this one. Now I might have to!

graphics by Flordibel & Menine <3