Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offering free online fitness help and coaching for gamers.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    I hear ya. I know it's something I have to buckle down to do 😔 lol. My team at work goes out to eat together once a week so I definitely air on the side of balance and try to eyeball my ratios if I can. I'm curious to hear more about your training and how you manage your nutrition around that. From one weightlifting enthusiast to another
    Haha, beautiful! Yeah, it's definitely possible to maintain a social life and still stay fit. For me, there was a time when it wasn't, but I see things differently now and I encourage everyone to take a relaxed approach.

As for my workouts, they are always changing, especially depending on the season. Currently, I'm lifting for 2-3 hours, three times a week, and dedicating one day to legs (usually about one hour). On the other days, or sometimes during the same days, I mix in some cardio or recreational activities... it really depends. Occasionally, I incorporate calisthenics to maintain my skill level, although it's not my top priority anymore.

My diet is straightforward: I aim for 30 grams of protein in each of my five meals a day. I focus on plenty of carbs like rice or potatoes / sweet potatoes, as they provide me with energy (unlike some people who feel tired after them), and I also include lots of greens. I try to adjust my calorie intake, keeping it lower on days when I don't work out a lot and higher on full workout days, but I don't stress about it anymore. I used to eat vegan/vegetarian now Im crazy about meat and eggs and non processed food. I felt a big change.

I also try to sleep 8 hours a day and take life pretty easy.

Sports are however my main thing, as all my friends are either from the gym or from recreational sports.... and so on...

I know it probably seems boring.... but yeah thats pretty much my life Dx.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to infestedvirus For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (01-05-2024)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by infestedvirus View Post
    Haha, beautiful! Yeah, it's definitely possible to maintain a social life and still stay fit. For me, there was a time when it wasn't, but I see things differently now and I encourage everyone to take a relaxed approach.

As for my workouts, they are always changing, especially depending on the season. Currently, I'm lifting for 2-3 hours, three times a week, and dedicating one day to legs (usually about one hour). On the other days, or sometimes during the same days, I mix in some cardio or recreational activities... it really depends. Occasionally, I incorporate calisthenics to maintain my skill level, although it's not my top priority anymore.

My diet is straightforward: I aim for 30 grams of protein in each of my five meals a day. I focus on plenty of carbs like rice or potatoes / sweet potatoes, as they provide me with energy (unlike some people who feel tired after them), and I also include lots of greens. I try to adjust my calorie intake, keeping it lower on days when I don't work out a lot and higher on full workout days, but I don't stress about it anymore. I used to eat vegan/vegetarian now Im crazy about meat and eggs and non processed food. I felt a big change.

I also try to sleep 8 hours a day and take life pretty easy.

Sports are however my main thing, as all my friends are either from the gym or from recreational sports.... and so on...

I know it probably seems boring.... but yeah thats pretty much my life Dx.
    Nice!! Doesn't seem boring at all!

I'm the same with my exercise. Yes, I do powerlifting, so the SBD lift focus about 4-5 times a week for about 1-2 hrs depending on how long I rest between sets lol, but I also try to find other ways to move, because why build these muscles and strength if I won't use them lol. I used to play DDR on my PS2 to get steps in lol but also have fun with the songs. I also do 3hrs of cardio (running or elliptical) a week in 1hr sessions when I go to work in the office. I work in a university so I go to the university gym to build my endurance. Powerlifting really killed it lmao. Before powerlifting, I used to prioritize cardio even tho I hated it lol.

But I like your approach! I think it's good to be balanced not just with food, but exercise too. Find what you like, but be flexible enough to not be a slave to it I guess. I just like trying new things and I'm also very competitive lol so I want to try doing more sports. My coworker signed up my team to a staff bowling tournament lmao so I'll be doing that soon. I also plan to join my coworker's roller hockey league when the weather gets better too!

Very straightforward with your diet too! I'm the same that I eat more for sure on days I lift and do cardio. Fruit is my favorite carb, but I need to time when I eat it since it's not a "slow release" carb. It's funny imo how people make fun of fitness people having boring tasteless meals because potatoes? White rice? Lean ground beef or grilled meat (chicken, fish, etc.) ?? It's really good if you're just mindful on how you cook! Like I make some really good salsa verde chicken rice bowls and it hits the macros just right lol. That's interesting too how you made the shift from vegan/vegetarian to include animal products. I noticed how better my lifts are when I eat carbs prior to exercising and that was such a new experience since I used to do fasted workouts simply because I get up so early in the day, I don't want to eat right away.

Anyway, good talk! Lol. It's nice to talk to other people with similar interests/goals and it not be like some weird cult of obsessive health behaviors 😅

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    Nice!! Doesn't seem boring at all!

I'm the same with my exercise. Yes, I do powerlifting, so the SBD lift focus about 4-5 times a week for about 1-2 hrs depending on how long I rest between sets lol, but I also try to find other ways to move, because why build these muscles and strength if I won't use them lol. I used to play DDR on my PS2 to get steps in lol but also have fun with the songs. I also do 3hrs of cardio (running or elliptical) a week in 1hr sessions when I go to work in the office. I work in a university so I go to the university gym to build my endurance. Powerlifting really killed it lmao. Before powerlifting, I used to prioritize cardio even tho I hated it lol.

But I like your approach! I think it's good to be balanced not just with food, but exercise too. Find what you like, but be flexible enough to not be a slave to it I guess. I just like trying new things and I'm also very competitive lol so I want to try doing more sports. My coworker signed up my team to a staff bowling tournament lmao so I'll be doing that soon. I also plan to join my coworker's roller hockey league when the weather gets better too!

Very straightforward with your diet too! I'm the same that I eat more for sure on days I lift and do cardio. Fruit is my favorite carb, but I need to time when I eat it since it's not a "slow release" carb. It's funny imo how people make fun of fitness people having boring tasteless meals because potatoes? White rice? Lean ground beef or grilled meat (chicken, fish, etc.) ?? It's really good if you're just mindful on how you cook! Like I make some really good salsa verde chicken rice bowls and it hits the macros just right lol. That's interesting too how you made the shift from vegan/vegetarian to include animal products. I noticed how better my lifts are when I eat carbs prior to exercising and that was such a new experience since I used to do fasted workouts simply because I get up so early in the day, I don't want to eat right away.

Anyway, good talk! Lol. It's nice to talk to other people with similar interests/goals and it not be like some weird cult of obsessive health behaviors 😅
    Loving you approach as well !! Good to know we are many of us among the gamers . I used to take it much more competitive back in the day, but could never get to the level I wanted so now I chill a lot. Still I promote having a healthy lifestyle, and my friends are always asking me questions.
    I do it naturally, so of course, theres a limit. But Im okay with this.

And you also do a lot! I try to avoid cardio as it kills my gains xD... but still I do a lot just because I still like it... or maybe even because I walk everywhere.
    Take care and also, feel free to share tips to others here as well!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    28d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Hello,
    I would like to get your fitness advice.
    So a bit about me, sorry I'm going to ramble on a bit. In 2018 I had my highest weight of 97kg and decided enough is enough, now it's time to lose weight.
    First with diet, then later with exercise, I managed to get to a weight of 75kg by the beginning of 2020. I have to say that I hadn't weighed so little since I was a teenager. Well, and then came Corona... Not only did the gyms close, but unfortunately the frustration eating began, well, as it does.
    I know what it was, lack of exercise, bad food and depression.
    I am now 40 years old and have returned to my old starting weight of 97kg...
    I've changed my diet back to a ketogenic diet since the beginning of the year and I've signed up to the gym again.
    by the way, i'm female and only 1.60m tall, which means i have a bmi of 38. i started exercising when i was already a lot slimmer and i'm finding it difficult. my training at the moment consists of climbing stairs, treadmill and various machines for arms and legs. what would you recommend?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 4h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneasel View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to get your fitness advice.
    So a bit about me, sorry I'm going to ramble on a bit. In 2018 I had my highest weight of 97kg and decided enough is enough, now it's time to lose weight.
    First with diet, then later with exercise, I managed to get to a weight of 75kg by the beginning of 2020. I have to say that I hadn't weighed so little since I was a teenager. Well, and then came Corona... Not only did the gyms close, but unfortunately the frustration eating began, well, as it does.
    I know what it was, lack of exercise, bad food and depression.
    I am now 40 years old and have returned to my old starting weight of 97kg...
    I've changed my diet back to a ketogenic diet since the beginning of the year and I've signed up to the gym again.
    by the way, i'm female and only 1.60m tall, which means i have a bmi of 38. i started exercising when i was already a lot slimmer and i'm finding it difficult. my training at the moment consists of climbing stairs, treadmill and various machines for arms and legs. what would you recommend?
    Sneasel, I haven't seen this until now. My apologies for that...!

First and foremost, I want to commend you on your remarkable progress from 2018 to 2020. Your dedication to improving your diet and exercise routine during that period is truly admirable. It demonstrates that you have the capability to succeed in your health goals once again.

I've see that you're getting back into it this year! Just a friendly reminder not to push yourself too hard. Remember, a successful diet is one that allows you to enjoy life and doesn't feel overly restrictive.

The key to weight loss is the balance between calories in and calories out. Exercise is a great addition to keep your system working well.

Now, let's discuss about your routine:

1. How many times a week do you excercise? Whats your daily activity at work and home? Try hitting the gym at least twice a week. Start with something manageable like stairs on Mondays, treadmill on Wednesdays, and, if possible, repeat one of those on Fridays or Saturdays.

2. Address anxiety, a common cause of overeating. Dedicate time in your day for activities like breathing exercises, relaxation, stretching, or even yoga. Create a morning routine to reflect on your current state and envision the lifestyle you want. Overeating healthy stuff is not that bad, what works for me, is that I dont buy unhealthy food. If I have it at home, I eat them. Difficult when theres a child around tho! So yeah, doing groceries well is important.

3. How's your ketogenic diet going? Why keto? Its not bad but just asking so we can work on it together. Can you track your daily consumption (meals) and share it with me through messages? (or here also possible).

4. How's your sleep? It's a crucial aspect of overall well-being.

5. Any medication or underlying conditions that we should be aware of? If thats the case, despite me knowing some stuff because I have a background on health, I still always recommend to double check with yourself and a professional.

Remember, we're aiming for a plan that is not only effective but also sustainable for the long term. Let me know your thoughts!
    Also, when it comes to motivation... Perhaps someone around you also wants to join the gym or diet to gether, but if not, some classes are also really nice and have the social aspect of sporting, which is great also for sticking around and of course, making friends .

Feel free to answer here or privately.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    28d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by infestedvirus View Post
    Sneasel, I haven't seen this until now. My apologies for that...!

First and foremost, I want to commend you on your remarkable progress from 2018 to 2020. Your dedication to improving your diet and exercise routine during that period is truly admirable. It demonstrates that you have the capability to succeed in your health goals once again.

I've see that you're getting back into it this year! Just a friendly reminder not to push yourself too hard. Remember, a successful diet is one that allows you to enjoy life and doesn't feel overly restrictive.

The key to weight loss is the balance between calories in and calories out. Exercise is a great addition to keep your system working well.

Now, let's discuss about your routine:

1. How many times a week do you excercise? Whats your daily activity at work and home? Try hitting the gym at least twice a week. Start with something manageable like stairs on Mondays, treadmill on Wednesdays, and, if possible, repeat one of those on Fridays or Saturdays.

2. Address anxiety, a common cause of overeating. Dedicate time in your day for activities like breathing exercises, relaxation, stretching, or even yoga. Create a morning routine to reflect on your current state and envision the lifestyle you want. Overeating healthy stuff is not that bad, what works for me, is that I dont buy unhealthy food. If I have it at home, I eat them. Difficult when theres a child around tho! So yeah, doing groceries well is important.

3. How's your ketogenic diet going? Why keto? Its not bad but just asking so we can work on it together. Can you track your daily consumption (meals) and share it with me through messages? (or here also possible).

4. How's your sleep? It's a crucial aspect of overall well-being.

5. Any medication or underlying conditions that we should be aware of? If thats the case, despite me knowing some stuff because I have a background on health, I still always recommend to double check with yourself and a professional.

Remember, we're aiming for a plan that is not only effective but also sustainable for the long term. Let me know your thoughts!
    Also, when it comes to motivation... Perhaps someone around you also wants to join the gym or diet to gether, but if not, some classes are also really nice and have the social aspect of sporting, which is great also for sticking around and of course, making friends .

Feel free to answer here or privately.
    Hello,
    sorry I'm only replying now, I've had a very busy week.
    But I really appreciate your reply and will now answer your questions.

We go to the gym three times a week. In the beginning I did more strength training, but I realized that this is not effective right now. I want to focus on fat reduction and endurance. That's why I now only do cardio: treadmill, climbing stairs and cycling.
    I have an office job, so I only do sedentary activities. Well, and not too much exercise in my private life either. 2 walks with the dogs, about 1 km each.

That's a good tip, I will try to incorporate meditation into my everyday life.
    Yes, with children it is difficult to have only healthy food in the house. But then I tell myself. This belongs to the children. That works quite well.

I've tried a lot of different diets, including Weight Watchers, calorie counting, and so on.
    Since I have a problem with binge eating and a strong feeling of sugar cravings, the ketogenic diet has proven to be the most effective.
    It fills me up and I no longer have cravings for sweets.
    However, I have found that artificial sweeteners also trigger my cravings for sweets. So I have now also banned Coke Zero. It's going quite well, I'm still in the changeover phase, I have a failure now and then, but I'm also learning what I can do better, for example the artificial sweeteners.

I sleep very well. Sometimes I go to bed a little too late, but I fall asleep quickly and sleep through the night without interruptions.

No, no medication. I took thyroxine for my thyroid a few years ago. A few months ago I had a complete blood count done and everything was fine.

Yes, I go to the gym with my husband and my eldest daughter.
    There may not always be three of us because my husband is often busy with his work, but I've never been alone so far.
    I have a lot of motivation, I feel out of shape and not fit at all, I want to get back to where I was 4 years ago.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    66 times
    Time Online
    19d 4h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Any recommendations for using swimming as exercise? It definitely feels like a workout to me. I've forgotten how to do a lot of strokes so I can't do laps, but I'm trying to teach myself again with the arm motions, practicing kicking, and using a sort of "boogie board" to keep myself afloat while I do strokes. How effective is it as a workout? Do you have much familiarity with learning to do strokes again?