Thread: Any Otome Visual Novel Fans here?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    28d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m

Any Otome Visual Novel Fans here?

Hey,
    I just thought about starting a thread about my favorite genre of "games"
    Well, they are games, but not really, because there is no real gameplay. It's really more of a novel with decisions here and there.
    Are there like-minded people here?
    My favorite is Otome, of course: stories for the female target group.
    But I also like other visual novels. It all started with Ace Attorney.

At the moment I'm playing Code Realize on my Vita
    (you need an account to see links)
    and Cafe Enchante on my Switch.
    (you need an account to see links)

I still have a huge backlog on both consoles, I need to read faster. Because great games just keep coming out. I can't wait to play them all.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneasel For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (01-03-2024),Excalibur (01-03-2024)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    1d 3h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I used to play them a lot in high school, but i feel like they're too expensive for the amount of content you get. At least the newer ones.. Hakuoki was pretty decent though and it was adapted as an anime.
    Remember mystic messenger?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    28d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Many Visual Novels have Anime Adaptations

Steins Gate, Clannad, Higurashi, Fate/Stay, only to name a few.

I also like Visual Novels that have Gameplay for example the Zero Escape Games, Danganronpa and 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

Yes they are expensive, I buy them, when the price is reduced. Hakuoki was great, so many routes, so many hours to play.
    Hahaha, yes I remember the mobile messenger games, but I was not a fan.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    9d 16h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I used to play a ton of western ones (like RE: Alistair etc) in high school, but not as many now. I have to say that my current favourite otome is Bustafellows! It's from a smaller studio but the quality truly blows some of the bigger names out of the water. What I enjoy is how each arc in the game is framed episodically and that the other guys don't just become irrelevant once you enter a specific guy's route. There's a super wholesome found family vibe and their dynamic with each other is sometimes even better than the actual romance itself. Highly recommend it, especially when it goes on sale.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Yesss, used to play a bunch of 'traditional' otomes like Hakuouki, Amnesia, Nameless, etc. I do find the rigid route structure a bit boring now, as you don't really have any influence on the outcome and it only works when the story or characters are particularly interesting. Would be keen to get back into it a bit thought and see what's come out recently thats good. The last one I played and actually enjoyed was My Vow to My Leige

Some of my favourite games ever though have been VN-inspired RPGs from super indie studios, like Regency Love and Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem.

Also played a heap of those mobile otome/choices games (Choices, Love Isand The Game, Too Hot To Handle, Lovelink, etc). Some of them are alright, but most are just a money grab and boring at that. Best thing I have found recently on mobile is called Picka: 30 Days to Love. Its like a Korean messenger app type game, quite simple but the writings good and I found it fun.

Also not technically a VN, but I recently played Volcano Princess which was quite good if you don't mind a bit more of that 'schedule management' style gameplay.

was that worth it?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    38 times
    Time Online
    13d 12h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 49m
    I'm late to the party, but I used to be a huge fan of Voltage Inc Otome games. My favourite routes are always the "Kuudere" type, or the ones who start out cold and overly logical but show you and only you their vulnerable side once they start warming up to you.

I stopped playing them when I changed phones, but maybe I should get back into them, especially since some of my favourite titles are on the Switch as well. Specifically, My Last First Kiss and Our Two Bedroom Story. The other one I really like is After School Affairs, which sadly didn't get a Switch port.

(Also, Ace Attorney is awesome. So glad they released the Apollo Justice trilogy on Switch. But I want Miles Edgeworth Investigations on Switch as well! )