33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 15m

Pokemon Go PVP Ace Rank+

I super begrudgingly got into PVP for my level 44 requirements and ended up falling in love with it. I'm currently at rank 20 via Ultra League/Ultra League Premiere. Got straight thrashed across a 5 battle set once I hit level 20 but I'd doing a little better, closer to 50/50 now.

My question: I see that to achieve Ace rank, I need a rating of 2000. My current is ~1770. I get that raising my rating means win more than I lose, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around any specifics. Does anyone have experience with PVP and some insight into the rating structure? I'd love to know what ratio of wins vs losses I need to maintain, any minimum win count I need, and anything else that a newbie wannabe Ace trainer should know.

I also read that the early battles (before rank 20) can affect rating and was wondering about that. I had a rough start trying to figure out my team through trial and error the first few days I was in the Ultra League. Did I bomb my chance of ever getting to a 2k rank early on with that?

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers

Pronouns
    he/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 16h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    If this season is your very first time trying the PVP, I think you'll find it easier next season to get ace+ now that you've worked out your teams and strategy

with a lot of hard work you can probably still achieve it this season but.. idk depends how much you enjoy it lol I find it frustrating to have to grind those battles when I'm starting behind

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rattata For This Useful Post:

Alister (2 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    1h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    When you get to ELO ranks, for each match you win, you get around 15 points. So, for each set, you get 5 matches, you will have to win 3 out of 5 to get 15 points. When you first start PVP, it's hard as you don't know the moveset of pokemons that well and which pokemons are Meta. I suggest you take 3 Meta pokemons and make a team and just stick with it. You will get better, eventually... (Speaking as someone who started pvp in 2021 with 0 knowledge, and 2 seasons later I reached legend).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jojijo4664 For This Useful Post:

Alister (2 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    331 times
    Time Online
    126d 14h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 15m
    I've definitely gotten better since I made this post a week ago. I don't think I'll get higher than Ace, but I'm at the mid-1990s now and am confident I can claw my way to Ace itself before the season is over. Little nervous about it turning over to Master league soon since I've been so entrenched with Great and Ultra but if it starts to tank my score again I may defer battling until Master rolls out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojijo4664 View Post
    When you first start PVP, it's hard as you don't know the moveset of pokemons that well and which pokemons are Meta. I suggest you take 3 Meta pokemons and make a team and just stick with it.
    this was excellent advice. And is absolutely the reason I've started consistently doing better. I've got a lot more knowledge about what moves to expect from which opponent Pokemon and know what mine can/can't absorb.

I've been running a team of Poliwrath as starter, Talonflame, and Cresselia. I used to panic when someone else started off with Giratina but I've faced it enough times that I now know my Poliwrath can absorb several hits of Dragon Claw, while dishing back far more painful damage with Icy Wind. I know about how long it takes Dragon Claw to charge up so I know when to anticipate either a different charged move, or to expect Giratina to be switched out and brought back later already powered up with a Charge. I know that Togekiss is absolutely going to hit my Talonflame with an Ancient Power. I know if I'm facing off against a Venusaur lead I can get Poliwrath almost to an Icy Wind charge juuuust before Venusaur can hit with a Frenzy Plant, so I can switch out to Cress right before they hit with it.

Skeledirge is my Ultra league achilles heel. Freaking hate that thing

sea serpent ryu by GWN | star gazing ub GreyFaerie | serpent scales ub by Infected | avatar by Dita
    consolidation of all four beauties by Lyrichord
    better quality images on petpage in spoilers