27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

Guitar players here?

I've been wanting to progress a lot lately with my guitar playing and I am not sure how to take the next step. I Know this is very vague as I have not provided where I am at. Which is difficult because of two factors. One I have not recorded in in like 4 years. Second of all I a don't think I am good enough to provide anything. But maybe maybe, there is someone out there that when they have a few spare minutes that would be willing to help a lost soul to progress a bit? ^^

I know how to play chords, I know how to do some phrasing. I've been able to play along with backing tracks. I understand scales and I am also at that point that I know my way around the fretboard pretty well. I just know that I've done a few things wrong when I started to teach myself that I need to get rid of. I am just not sure what it is xD
    Last edited by hellraid; 12-01-2023 at 04:01 PM.

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    43d 23h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by hellraid View Post
    I've been wanting to progress a lot lately with my guitar playing and I am not sure how to take the next step. I Know this is very vague as I have not provided where I am at. Which is difficult because of two factors. One I have not recorded in in like 4 years. Second of all I a don't think I am good enough to provide anything. But maybe maybe, there is someone out there that when they have a few spare minutes that would be willing to help a lost soul to progress a bit? ^^

I know how to play chords, I know how to do some phrasing. I've been able to play along with backing tracks. I understand scales and I am also at that point that I know my way around the fretboard pretty well. I just know that I've done a few things wrong when I started to teach myself that I need to get rid of. I am just not sure what it is xD
    I've been playing the guitar for nearly 20 years now, and here are some tips that helped me out.

Practice, practice, practice. Take out an hour or two in your day if you can afford to and just play your guitar. Muscle memory is a real thing and it will just help you get smoother and faster.

Find exercise techniques in videos on youtube, find the one you like, or one which you think you're lacking, and keep practicing. It maybe arpeggio picking techniques, or scales, or if you want to learn something more advanced, then check out pinch harmonics.

The way I do it even today is mix some of those techniques into exercises. Find a scale you like playing, and mix it with a picking technique you want to get better at. And just keep doing this till you are at a level you're satisfied with.

Lastly, I know these things get super boring and repetitive and that's kind of counter intuitive. So I try to find a song I like, that employs the techniques I want to get better at. I love to play Blurry by Puddle of Mudd because the opening riff has pinch harmonics, a cool scale, and a good picking pattern. Check that out, or any Jimi Hendrix tracks (I like Voodoo Child) for string bends, hammer ons/offs and general solo work. Another good song for picking/scales is Sweet Child O' Mine intor for the Guns n Roses version.

Hope this helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

hellraid (12-02-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    I've been playing the guitar for nearly 20 years now, and here are some tips that helped me out.

Practice, practice, practice. Take out an hour or two in your day if you can afford to and just play your guitar. Muscle memory is a real thing and it will just help you get smoother and faster.

Find exercise techniques in videos on youtube, find the one you like, or one which you think you're lacking, and keep practicing. It maybe arpeggio picking techniques, or scales, or if you want to learn something more advanced, then check out pinch harmonics.

The way I do it even today is mix some of those techniques into exercises. Find a scale you like playing, and mix it with a picking technique you want to get better at. And just keep doing this till you are at a level you're satisfied with.

Lastly, I know these things get super boring and repetitive and that's kind of counter intuitive. So I try to find a song I like, that employs the techniques I want to get better at. I love to play Blurry by Puddle of Mudd because the opening riff has pinch harmonics, a cool scale, and a good picking pattern. Check that out, or any Jimi Hendrix tracks (I like Voodoo Child) for string bends, hammer ons/offs and general solo work. Another good song for picking/scales is Sweet Child O' Mine intor for the Guns n Roses version.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you very much, I've started doing most of the things you said already. But it really helps hearing it coming from someone else. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hellraid For This Useful Post:

Infected (12-02-2023)