Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    13d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

Celiac disease - Gluten Free Post

Hello everyone!

I am currently taking all the celiac related tests and it looks like I might have celiac disease. I was wondering if there is anyone around here with this and how you found out/ how your life has change after diagnosis?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    17d 23h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I'm not a patient, but a doctor who often detects celiac disease. My biggest problem is making people realize and understand their condition and how to live normally with a diet adjustment. Most of the time people already suspect an allergy because they suffer chronic colitis or frequent diarrhea.

I also tell them it's not entirely forbidden to have one craving every now and then, as life has its moments, but to be conscious of what they eat and how it affects them. If they can entirely remove it, that's for the best, but if not, it's not a death sentence or anything close, as long as they don't ignore it either.

Finally, depending on culture, where they live and the person itself, discarding cereals from the diet can be either ultra hard or easy when there are a lot of substitutes around.

If you live in the USA or UK and get diagnosed, don't worry, as there are continuously more and more gluten-free options available each day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesedmoga For This Useful Post:

Rinna (11-12-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    121/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    13d 3h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Thanks for your comment! So helpful getting an honest opinion on the other side. I live in Spain and thankfully there are so many options here but there is a lot of ignorance from those who don't suffer it as many think it is just another "trend". What I am more worried about is going out to eat. That will be hard as most restaurants here don't have any options and I have to eat out frequently for work.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    17d 23h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Yeah, the reason people think it's a trend it's because the diagnosis is relatively new and this disease didn't have the "chance" to kill people long ago, as you may probably die in a war or of dysentery before reaching 30, which is the youngest probable age to die from it if you eat wheat everyday since birth.

Now that life expectancy can go over 30 or 40 very comfortably, and the disease has a real chance to show its bad colors, people think it's just a trend because "we have eaten cereals for centuries and didn't kill us".

If you eat at restaurants try to avoid the usual suspects, like bread, cake and pasta, and even if the waiter makes a weird face, asking for gluten-free options doesn't hurt. Good luck and stay healthy! ♥

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesedmoga For This Useful Post:

Rinna (11-13-2023)