Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird/Creepy/Horror Book Recommendations?

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    2d 18h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyburrito View Post
    Seriously loving all of the recommendations I'm getting already ;-; Making note of each one, and it looks like I'm definitely reading House of Leaves as it has been mentioned a few times!

To those that mentioned Playground - I actually got the audiobook version a while ago and yes. It is WILD. I put it down for a bit but may start listening again on my commutes to work
    The audiobook? Oh god I can't imagine having that read out loud. I honestly don't know if this is allowed so I will spoiler it.

I have heard it is really well written and has a good ending, I might try and stomach through it.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    17d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by RadLapras View Post
    The audiobook? Oh god I can't imagine having that read out loud. I honestly don't know if this is allowed so I will spoiler it.

I have heard it is really well written and has a good ending, I might try and stomach through it.
    Those scenes you mentioned are exactly what made me put the book down for a bit. It was A LOT for me just jumping into it. I had no idea it would be that crazy. Now that I know, though, I will probably stick it out and finish at some point. I have no idea how the person reading was probably feeling, but she does a pretty good job honestly lol

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    2d 18h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyburrito View Post
    Those scenes you mentioned are exactly what made me put the book down for a bit. It was A LOT for me just jumping into it. I had no idea it would be that crazy. Now that I know, though, I will probably stick it out and finish at some point. I have no idea how the person reading was probably feeling, but she does a pretty good job honestly lol
    Hey a check is a check right? Going into the book blind would probably traumatize me, I can handle some gross stuff and love Saw so I think I'm gonna have to at least try it. In the safety of my own home, I would be so uncomfortable reading this in public haha

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RadLapras For This Useful Post:

Patamon (08-11-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    172 times
    Time Online
    30d 16h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I really love anything by Riley Sager -- The books read like watching a horror movie. The Final Girls is their first book but my favorite was either the newest The Only One Left or The Last Time I Lied.

If you haven't read The Shining I also highly recommend.

Mexican Gothic was also really good.

I read a lot of horror. I'll come back to this thread later if you liked these suggestions hahahaaa

thank you to hearts for my pumpkin, Lyrichord for my userbar, and Great White North for my snail ryu!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chii3d For This Useful Post:

Patamon (08-11-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    38d 9h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    In the Valley of the Sun is one of the only books I've read in the last year but dang, it's a good one.

mothman userbar by @munna !!! <3
    venonat splice by me :3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothman For This Useful Post:

Patamon (08-11-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    233 times
    Time Online
    95d 19h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 5m
    Some of Stephen King's older novels are quite spooky and disturbing. I especially love Pet Sematary, Carrie, The Shining and It. Carrie is very fucked up though, ending made me sad. But it's also the most terrifying one. I absolutely hate "Stephen" King's new novels. I suspect he lets his son write them. They're cheap trash.

Ummie and Vape made by the awesome GWN

my own special userbar made by Lyrichord
    and the awesomest ryus made by GWN, Infected & Lyrichord

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik. For This Useful Post:

Patamon (08-11-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    17d 17h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik. View Post
    Some of Stephen King's older novels are quite spooky and disturbing. I especially love Pet Sematary, Carrie, The Shining and It. Carrie is very fucked up though, ending made me sad. But it's also the most terrifying one. I absolutely hate "Stephen" King's new novels. I suspect he lets his son write them. They're cheap trash.
    Ahh, I've read a couple of Stephen King novels! I still need to get to the ones you mentioned. So far, I have read 1922, Cujo, and Full Dark No Stars (just a collection of short stories by him). I haven't really dabbled in his super new stuff, but I suspect you are right that they aren't as good. I don't hear many people raving about them lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Patamon For This Useful Post:

Erik. (08-12-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    96 times
    Time Online
    21d 12h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    If you're into sci-fi horror and don't mind that it's a light web novel instead of a physical book (so far, at least)... I have an offbeat recommendation for you

The entire Antimemetics Division Hub on the SCP Wiki is an excellent read, and its world building & insane concepts are to die for. It's a series I've followed for multiple years until it finally concluded in 2020 and I've been busy recommending it to anyone who'll listen lol - as long as you read through everything in the hub in order, it'll blow your mind.

The author is QNTM, and he's adapting it into an e-book the last I heard!
    Last edited by Vis; 09-06-2023 at 08:23 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:

Patamon (08-18-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    4d 20h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    if you want a shorter experience, but one that leaves you thinking for a bit after you're done, i'd recommend "the yellow wallpaper" by charlotte perkins gilman.

a rather basic answer to "something horror" would be the "ring" trilogy by koji suzuki, which has movie adaptions of the same name, but the books end in a vastly different way, compared to the movie and had me like "wtf" half the time.
    imo it's not that chilling after you get past the first book, but it's worth a read, still!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ratanius For This Useful Post:

Patamon (08-18-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    85/0
    Mentioned
    198 times
    Time Online
    95d 5h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    A series that I am currently reading are the Charlie Parker books by John Connolly. Charlie is a private investigator whose cases increasingly take on the shades of the supernatural. Each book builds on the previous book. Great characters that you get to revisit. You should start the series at the beginning. Even though the first book was over 20 years ago it isnot dated at all. And he is continually writing and adding to the Charlie story.
    I am loving them. I am currently reading book number eight.

Cashew
    Hatched: 11-14-2020

Thank you (you need an account to see links) for the adoptables!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peanutface For This Useful Post:

Patamon (08-18-2023)