5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Short Stories

I find short stories to be something we typically explore only occasionally in lit classes and then never again. I'm a huge fan of short form fiction and am always blown away by stories that can wrap up in under 50 pages and then eat at me for years. Some favorites, for example, have been All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury, Wikihistory by Desmond Warzel, and The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Recently I've started a short story book* club with my coworkers to further explore short form fiction and help spread appreciation for the form. Each week we've decided to choose one story from a mystery bag (which currently holds the Hugo Award winners for the past twenty years or so). We've only just begun, and so far have only read The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman and Where Oaken Hearts Do Gather by Sarah Pinsker. Both were excellent (in very different ways - the former quite spooky and the latter also spooky but also super funny and relatable for those of us who are very online).

Anyway - with all this on my mind, I wanted to come back here and ask:

- What is your favorite short story of all time?

- Have you continued to read short stories after high school or college?

- Do you prefer stories from collections or magazines (or podcasts!)?

* not books
    Last edited by heathen; 07-25-2023 at 06:01 AM.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    44d 4h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    One of my all time favourites is The Luncheon by Somerset Maugham. It's somehow cosy and delicious but also has a good message. I'll admit I haven't read it since school, nor do I really read short stories anymore. But 20+ years after reading it, it still sticks with me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

heathen (07-25-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    24d 1h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    You know I've never really read short stories but this has me undeniably curious. I can't wait to see what's added so I can check them out!

I'm a big fan of short films so I assume I'd probably adore short stories as well.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Infected View Post
    One of my all time favourites is The Luncheon by Somerset Maugham. It's somehow cosy and delicious but also has a good message. I'll admit I haven't read it since school, nor do I really read short stories anymore. But 20+ years after reading it, it still sticks with me.
    I've never heard of that one before. Just looked it up and gave it a quick read, and I can definitely see why it sticks with you. It made me feel so uncomfortable - and angry on behalf of our poor narrator. There are few things worse than getting stuck in that sort of situation.

I like how you also describe it as cozy, because I do get that vibe as well. The writing feels pretty modern and is easily...digestible. Excuse the pun lol.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard View Post
    You know I've never really read short stories but this has me undeniably curious. I can't wait to see what's added so I can check them out!

I'm a big fan of short films so I assume I'd probably adore short stories as well.
    Ooh, yes! As a fellow fan of short films, I do think you'd enjoy reading short stories as well. Do you have a favorite "flavor" of short film? I really enjoy the Love, Death, and Robots collection myself. I tend to lean toward animated shorts over live action. Could probably stand to branch out a bit more, really.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to heathen For This Useful Post:

Charizard (07-25-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    24d 1h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by heathen View Post
    I've never heard of that one before. Just looked it up and gave it a quick read, and I can definitely see why it sticks with you. It made me feel so uncomfortable - and angry on behalf of our poor narrator. There are few things worse than getting stuck in that sort of situation.

I like how you also describe it as cozy, because I do get that vibe as well. The writing feels pretty modern and is easily...digestible. Excuse the pun lol.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Ooh, yes! As a fellow fan of short films, I do think you'd enjoy reading short stories as well. Do you have a favorite "flavor" of short film? I really enjoy the Love, Death, and Robots collection myself. I tend to lean toward animated shorts over live action. Could probably stand to branch out a bit more, really.
    Honestly I love so many! Anywhere from Indie animation, Pixar, Disney and yes that one as well I love the heck out of that one too. I used to love the twilight zone type short films when I was younger as well. Not shorts but Black Mirror is amazing also.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,167 times
    Time Online
    558d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    I've been into short story/essay collections the past few years because it's easy to read them in fits and bursts. Neil Gaiman has a couple good ones and I also remember enjoying Someone Who Will Love You in All Your Damaged Glory by Raphael Bob-Waksberg (creator of BoJack Horseman and Undone). If you're into nonfiction and personal essays, I really liked John Green's The Anthropocene Reviewed and Melissa Broder's So Sad Today.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

heathen (08-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    8d 16h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Not sure if I'd call it my favorite of all time, but it's up there, mainly because it's quite memorable to me.
    The Street That Got Mislaid
    You can read it here: (you need an account to see links)

I occasionally read short stories but not often... there isn't a real format I follow, because usually they just fall into my lap one way or another

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Charizard View Post
    Honestly I love so many! Anywhere from Indie animation, Pixar, Disney and yes that one as well I love the heck out of that one too. I used to love the twilight zone type short films when I was younger as well. Not shorts but Black Mirror is amazing also.
    We're definitely on the same page there! I love the Pixar shorts as well - Kitbull absolutely ripped my heart to shreds the first time I saw it. I'm also a big fan of the Black Mirror/Twilight Zone formula. It came to my attention a few years back that Charlie Brooker planned to release a short story collection under the Black Mirror branding. I immediately pre-ordered it. Some time went by and the release date kept getting pushed back and eventually my pre-order was refunded. Such a shame, really, but I still hope it happens someday. I'd love to read such a collection.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heathen For This Useful Post:

Charizard (08-01-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    24d 1h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by heathen View Post
    We're definitely on the same page there! I love the Pixar shorts as well - Kitbull absolutely ripped my heart to shreds the first time I saw it. I'm also a big fan of the Black Mirror/Twilight Zone formula. It came to my attention a few years back that Charlie Brooker planned to release a short story collection under the Black Mirror branding. I immediately pre-ordered it. Some time went by and the release date kept getting pushed back and eventually my pre-order was refunded. Such a shame, really, but I still hope it happens someday. I'd love to read such a collection.
    Yes Kitbull is amazing! :o I love that one too much. Crow the Legend and My Cat Lucy and sooo many others on youtube are amazing as well. WolfSong is amazing and so sad. Just search animated short films and there are so many. There is a few other amazing ones but I'm terrible with names. People are truly amazing and creative though Wow that's such a huge bummer. I would have loved to see that. Dang!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I love Neil Gaiman (especially the Trigger Warning collection) and John Green's The Anthropocene Reviewed. I've just started listening to Someone Who Will Love You in All Your Damaged Glory yesterday, and...I'm not sure what I expected, but this wasn't it lol. I've never watched Bojack but was always told it would be up my alley. I think I see why now. I like the mundane absurdity of the little quirks in the stories. So major thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check back in when I can get around to So Sad Today and let you know what I think about it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to heathen For This Useful Post:

kittyray (08-22-2023)