3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    2d 7h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    I feel this. I'm sorry you went through an abusive relationship btw. That's really messed up that people bring themselves to do that. I feel that I've hardened myself since a very young age, so I kind of closed myself off, but I'm ok with that? I feel like I wouldn't be a good girlfriend anyway in that I've never really been physically affectionate, even though I care a great deal about people.
    As you said, I don't think it's for me, but also, yes, I love seeing people happy with other people. Like, I'm a huge sucker for classic true love romance stories because I'm like "YES! You guys are good for each other and make each other happy!!" but can't imagine myself in that role lol.
    Have you ever heard of aromanticism? You sound like you might be aromantic! There are definitely people out there who aren't really into the romance in a relationship and actually shy from that, so I wouldn't lose hope!

I'm the opposite and love romance and affection but the sexual stuff isn't anything I care too much about.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what a great post for Valentine's Day!

How long was your longest relationship?
    My current relationship! It's been about three years and running. Long distance for a year and a half of that, which sucks! I joke that we went from living two blocks away from each other to two states away from each other

Do you believe in soulmates? Think you found yours?
    I don't know if I believe in soulmates but my boyfriend and I came from essentially two identical families (except with he has a brother and I have a sister) - but the family dynamics are almost identical so as a result anything family related I never have to explain because his family is exactly the same as mine. A nosy overbearing tiger mother, a chill engineering dad, and a younger sibling who is the "cooler" one and who is very into food. So that similarity has been invaluable. And even though we have very different preferences, our mindsets and perspectives in a lot of things are very similar, so we get where the other is coming from even if we don't have the same "taste" in things. So at least in those regards our relationship works incredibly well.

Gush about your significant other below! How amazing are they?
    One of my many favorite things about my boyfriend is how affectionate he is. Even though on the outside (and even from far away) he's cool as a cucumber, when he's with me he's so incredibly sweet. He looks out for me (I tend to be quite clumsy and unobservant) because he's the complete opposite, and I help lighten him up when he's just worried about everything. Somehow he's amazing with both words (even though normally he's not so great with words) and how he treats me and so incredibly affectionate in private that I absolutely love being with him, and he says he feels the same from me. He wavers between "I'm not sure if I know what love is" and showering me with so much love that there's no doubt that he feels it. I don't know how to explain it - I can just tell it comes from within him.

Also, I can tell that communication didn't originally naturally come to him but he's been really good at it. Both of us can be incredibly blunt/honest with the other (in constructive ways, of course) and we don't wince when the things we say would throw others into a fit or seem societally unacceptable.

Oh and to add to the first point about longest relationship - something my bf always writes in the cards (that he hates and only writes because I tell him how much they mean to me) is that he's really happy that he's my longest relationship and is happy to be continuing to break my record for longest relationship, hahaha
    Last edited by lluvia; 02-11-2024 at 10:43 PM.
    Thank you for taking care of my Ryu, Bunbun!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Interesting thing that happened recently for me:

I hadn't seen this guy that I'm friends with at work in like 6 months even though we texted/messaged every now and then kind of had like a brief "break" I guess you could call it where we were just kind of in a stand still. He, out of no where, messaged me when I was on vacation in Hong Kong asking when I was coming back because he was going to be out for 2 months for a surgery, so we kind of reconnected on that on a "supportive friend" way.

Anyway, he was supposed to be out of work, but I guess came back a lil early doing light work. I was walking around the campus (I work at a university) to drop off something to someone and near my building I see 3 guys chatting by a maintenance truck and see one of the guys who has this work friend's build and I think "wait, is that...no it can't be because he said he was gonna be out for 2 months...whatever" and I keep walking, even though I see that guy look in my direction briefly. Later, we were messaging about random stuff and he says that he was working near my building that week and wanted to drop by and say hi, but thought he might be bothering me at work.

The next week, I'm leaving a class I was taking on campus in the mid morning (a self defense class at the gym lol) with my duffel bag and all that, and as I'm heading out, I see he was heading in with another guy he was working with and was within ear shot. I was going to say hi, but thought I might get him in trouble with that guy since I wasn't sure what they were doing and I needed to go back to my office anyway.

Then, FINALLY, the literal next week after that, I'm walking back from a lunch I had with some staff at a restaurant and as I turn the corner to the backside lot entrance of my building doing my thing, I glance up to make sure I'm not walking into anyone and see that this guy is coming from the other direction facing me and sees me lol. We ended up standing there for the next 2hrs just talking about literally anything from the Sonic the Hedgehog movies, my union at work giving me trouble, haunted buildings full of mannequins, anime conventions, the TV show Yellowstone, romantic comedy tropes that piss us off, and anything else you can think of lol. It was really, random, to say the least, but I found it interesting because it was too "perfect" to run into each other after we each almost saw each other. As if, the universe or divine intervention happened of "ok you know what? Neither of you are going to be the one to initiate even when you're in the right place? Fine, then you're gonna have to be forced to talk to each other and neither of you are gonna get out of this" lol. I really do like him and the whole conversation felt like we were resetting our relationship/friendship as he had brought up a bunch of specific things we had discussed in the past (like casually wanting to go on a hike) like 6-8 months ago that I already BEEN forgotten/forgetting lol. Idk where this is going or could be going, but sometimes it feels like this is all happening out of my control, but has a specific path to take. Is it fate/meant to be? Only time will tell, but quite a coincidence if you ask me lol. Idk, just wanted to share lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lint For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (1 Week Ago)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    My other half and I sort of moved quick when we first got together, but we’ve been together 4 years now and just had our first child earlier this month. We’ve had our ups and downs for sure, but we’ve both grown so much over the years. I’m having a blast watching him learn how to be a dad, he was my rock through pregnancy and labor. No telling how things would have went with delivery if he wasn’t there to be my advocate.

I know when we first got together my biggest thing was wanting to spend time together and travel. I’m terrible at making decisions and he’s been a champ planning trips for us through the years. Trips are on hold for a little bit though lol. He truly understands me and makes me happy, which is something I never experienced before meeting him. Not everything has been perfect but I feel like that’s made us grow for the better. He isn’t the most romantic man in the world but he tries and tends to surprise me more often than not. I consider myself very lucky to have him and be on this journey with him!

“Im a Potato,”

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    25m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Congrats on 11 years!