30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    438d 20h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m

How much do you tip?

Recently had this discussion with a few friends. How much do you tip?

For me it depends on that situation. I kind of broke it down into 4 different categories, they agreed and disagreed with me on a few:

-Delivery drivers I’ll usually tip like $4-5 depending on how far away the spot is
    -When I go to a restaurant or store to pick up my own food and they flip the screen around I usually don’t tip unless they somehow went above and beyond
    -Out at a bar, paying with card I’ll usually tip $1 if I just get a few drinks. Maybe a couple more if I’m getting a bunch of shots or something
    -Out to dinner at a sit down restaurant my standard is 20%. Have gone up to 25% when the service was amazing and down to $1 when it was absolutely terrible - didn’t want them to know I had just forgotten

A little additional fun story, I had somebody add a 25% tip onto the bill after I tipped them cash. Called the restaurant, they checked cameras and saw it. Deducted the whole bill plus the tip and the tip that was stolen and gave me cash on the spot. Said technically it’s fraud so I could get the police involved, but I said nah that’s okay. The guy was fired anyway. Crazy the audacity of some people!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Pronouns
    it/its
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 10h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I typically tip delivery drivers a 5 just cuz it's easiest and I live in town so it's never far, and my standard at a restaurant is definitely at least 20% unless the service was like, horrendous. I completely forgot to tip the delivery driver on a huge Lowes purchase once and I still dread it when i think about it 😱

3. The Following User Says Thank You to balzabul For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-08-2023)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    If I have to go pick up, let's say a pizza, I don't tip.

When I am at a restaurant, I always tip 20% unless my drink gets empty and I feel either ignored or neglected, then it is 5%. If it's empty because they are busy, they get a freebie.

When I deliver, I always tip at least $5 and if it's quicker, $10. I do this because Dominoes knows me because we order so much. They know if they put my order first for delivery, they will get a bigger tip. Some drivers have to do multiple orders. So, when they make me their #1 stop, they get rewarded for it.

I always do open tab when I go out, so if the bartender makes my drinks "special" they get a bigger tip! Again, my bartenders know me. These are more relaxed bars where giving a little extra of the good stuff isn't gonna hurt them or get them in trouble.

If it is a bar I have never been to, I will tip based on how yummy their drinks are. I always tell the bartender to make me a crazy wild drink. Or their favorite drink. If they do top shelf (without me suggesting it), I always tip well!

I don't have any crazy tip stories though. Yours was wild!

Huge shoutout to (you need an account to see links) for my amazing Custom UB!

Huge shout out to (you need an account to see links)for my amazing Thirteen siggie graphic!

Rebel the Otter and her little friend, Jinxy the teddy bear, was drawn by (you need an account to see links)! Thank you so much for this perfect vision of my emo otter!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel_Minx For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-08-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    438d 20h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilac Tentacles View Post
    Zero.

Japan doesn't accept them. Non-Japanese will accept tips on universally tipped services, like tattoos. My last tattoo artist was Mexican/Japanese and he took a tip graciously. The Japanese artist I went to in Tokyo refused it, though.

Eating out is so freaking nice now. I pay what's on the menu, I don't have to do any math, and I know my service staff is paid properly. America really needs to get it together. I was in college working as a hostess for $2.13 an hour and had to be tipped out by the wait staff. How was i making next to nothing with zero control over my tips? As an adult, it feels illegal.
    It is strange how some countries tipping is very frowned upon. I’d agree it would be nice to just pay the menu/posted price and not have to add on to pay the businesses employees for them. I always thought that was crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_Minx View Post
    If I have to go pick up, let's say a pizza, I don't tip.

When I am at a restaurant, I always tip 20% unless my drink gets empty and I feel either ignored or neglected, then it is 5%. If it's empty because they are busy, they get a freebie.

When I deliver, I always tip at least $5 and if it's quicker, $10. I do this because Dominoes knows me because we order so much. They know if they put my order first for delivery, they will get a bigger tip. Some drivers have to do multiple orders. So, when they make me their #1 stop, they get rewarded for it.

I always do open tab when I go out, so if the bartender makes my drinks "special" they get a bigger tip! Again, my bartenders know me. These are more relaxed bars where giving a little extra of the good stuff isn't gonna hurt them or get them in trouble.

If it is a bar I have never been to, I will tip based on how yummy their drinks are. I always tell the bartender to make me a crazy wild drink. Or their favorite drink. If they do top shelf (without me suggesting it), I always tip well!

I don't have any crazy tip stories though. Yours was wild!
    I don’t usually have a go to small bar, I usually go out in the city and bar hop a bit. Occasionally I’ll run into a familiar face, but there’s so many that rotate that it’s difficult. I also usually just get a rum and coke or Jack and coke, so I judge by how strong they are haha. When my friends go out we take turns getting rounds so I always close out.. but I also end up getting like 5 beers, a few mixed drinks, few seltzers and a round of shots. So I’ll do $5+ on that tab. But just a drink or two is $1 for me.

Do you ever get any weird drinks when you ask for their favorite? My bartender friends hate when people do that and usually have a go to simple drink that they will make haha

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Lilac Tentacles (07-08-2023),Rebel_Minx (07-08-2023)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    101 times
    Time Online
    12d 21h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    51m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    It is strange how some countries tipping is very frowned upon. I’d agree it would be nice to just pay the menu/posted price and not have to add on to pay the businesses employees for them. I always thought that was crazy!

I don’t usually have a go to small bar, I usually go out in the city and bar hop a bit. Occasionally I’ll run into a familiar face, but there’s so many that rotate that it’s difficult. I also usually just get a rum and coke or Jack and coke, so I judge by how strong they are haha. When my friends go out we take turns getting rounds so I always close out.. but I also end up getting like 5 beers, a few mixed drinks, few seltzers and a round of shots. So I’ll do $5+ on that tab. But just a drink or two is $1 for me.

Do you ever get any weird drinks when you ask for their favorite? My bartender friends hate when people do that and usually have a go to simple drink that they will make haha
    I am usually watching them make they drink. Bars in Nashville will ask what color I want my drink to be before making their concoction. But yes, most bar tenders do have their go-to for drinks and I have never felt like they didn't enjoy the request. Nashville is known for bartenders creating drinks and competing with their drink recipe, it's a pretty big thing here if you know who to ask and where!

Huge shoutout to (you need an account to see links) for my amazing Custom UB!

Huge shout out to (you need an account to see links)for my amazing Thirteen siggie graphic!

Rebel the Otter and her little friend, Jinxy the teddy bear, was drawn by (you need an account to see links)! Thank you so much for this perfect vision of my emo otter!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel_Minx For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-09-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    438d 20h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_Minx View Post
    I am usually watching them make they drink. Bars in Nashville will ask what color I want my drink to be before making their concoction. But yes, most bar tenders do have their go-to for drinks and I have never felt like they didn't enjoy the request. Nashville is known for bartenders creating drinks and competing with their drink recipe, it's a pretty big thing here if you know who to ask and where!
    That’s pretty cool! I’ve never actually been to Nashville but it’s on my list of places to visit. I’ll have to remember that when I go there. There bars around here are more about getting you you’re drink asap so they can get to the next person. They are so crowded that bartenders just crank them out quickly, at least later in the evening. As I get older, I find day drinking to be more my speed though lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Rebel_Minx (07-09-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    Sit-down service I always do 20%, everything else I do at least 15%. Even if it's takeout a lot of restaurants have tip pools so that people working in the back, like line cooks or dishwashers, also get a cut, so it's only fair to tip in my opinion.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crooked For This Useful Post:

balzabul (07-08-2023),I_royalty_I (07-08-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Zero.

Japan doesn't accept them. Non-Japanese will accept tips on universally tipped services, like tattoos. My last tattoo artist was Mexican/Japanese and he took a tip graciously. The Japanese artist I went to in Tokyo refused it, though.

Eating out is so freaking nice now. I pay what's on the menu, I don't have to do any math, and I know my service staff is paid properly. America really needs to get it together. I was in college working as a hostess for $2.13 an hour and had to be tipped out by the wait staff. How was i making next to nothing with zero control over my tips? As an adult, it feels illegal.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

Crooked (07-08-2023),Hollow (07-08-2023),I_royalty_I (07-08-2023),nousha (07-09-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    19d 2h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    For me it's a combination of what Rebel_Minx and crookedteeth do - usually 15-20% for a sit down restaurant and $5-10 for delivery. Of course there's adding more and reducing some if the service is great/poor.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billytiddles For This Useful Post:

Crooked (07-08-2023),I_royalty_I (07-08-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    53d 10h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I generally always tip 20%. Doesn't matter if it's delivery or a sit down. Or if the service was shit. Everybody has bad days, and who am I to make it work by not tipping when I know that generally, my tip is what they live off of.

I don't look down on people who don't tip. Everybody is different when it comes to money. I also usually tip in cash, and write taxation is theft on the receipt haha.

Thank you Hellraid <3

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Teakwood For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-08-2023)