10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

[GUIDE] Mermaiding 101 - Fins, Facts, & Fun 🧜

In my objectively unbiased opinion, there is not a better workout/hobby combination than popping on a monofin and jumping in some water. It's super low-impact, works out a boatload of muscle groups, increases lung capacity, and helps with whole-body coordination. I will break this into sections, as there is a lot of beginner information.

Sections:
    i. Safety & Beginner Info
    ii. Types of Monofins
    iii. Types of Tails
    iv. Tail Manufacturers
    v. Lilac's hot takes, tips, and Certification information

(you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

I. SAFETY & BEGINNER INFO

First and foremost, NEVER EVER SWIM ALONE. If you take nothing else away from this barrage of information, tattoo this to your forehead. You should already not be swimming alone regardless of whether you're in a tail or not, but it's even more of a safety risk when you can't move your legs freely.

My advice would be to make sure you're an experienced swimmer without any mermaid equipment. Once you've got the basics of swimming under your belt, invest in a monofin. Practice with only the monofin for as long as it takes until it's second nature to you. Laps upon laps upon laps. Flip around, learn to maneuver in circles, horizontal, vertical, backwards, etc. Get as comfortable as you would be walking on land. Once you factor in a binding tailskin, you're at the mercy of your own skill at that point.

There are courses I'll go over in section 5 and if you happen to live near any places that offer it, I'd highly suggest you look into them.

Next, do not purchase a bigger monofin than you're comfortably capable of controlling. Some of these tails have insane amounts of drag and extra fabric. They can be as wide as a foot (30cm), up to 3-4 (122cm) feet in diameter. Adding in tailskins with yardage of extra fabric makes it even more cumbersome. Start small and work yourself up to a big tail.

RESEARCH your tail makers and monofin styles. There are so many knock-off shammers out there selling dangerous and cheap equipment. Monofins made of plastic that shatter while you're swimming. Tails made with trashy fabric that will shrink or inhibit your ability to move your legs properly to dolphin kick. Also copyright infringement on designs and patterns, which is just ick regardless of materials.

And lastly, DO NOT SWIM ALONE FOR THE LOVE OF TRITON AND AQUAMAN!!!

(you need an account to see links)
    I will be talking about the 2 (and +1 extra piece for Finfolk) components of a tail below:
    ~ The monofin - The piece of equipment attached to your feet. Basically a flipper that combines your feet together and propels you when you kick.
    ~ The tailskin - Purely aesthetic. The tail fabric covers the monofin and goes up to your waist.
    ~ The vinyl insert (only in Finfolk and Finfun Elite brand tails) - a set of vinyl sheets that go into the fluke (bottom portion of tail holding the monofin) of the tail that helps their tails hold shape.

II. MONOFINS

Monofins come in 2 basic styles: Sport fins and silicone monofins.
    Sport fins are numerous and varied. Different colors, different shapes, different strap types for your heels. Usually used by swimmers for laps in a pool. Most tail makers do not make their own monofins. They design their tails around available monofins on the market because the cost and materials required to make the silicone monofins is exorbitant.

Silicone Monofins are only made by one tailmaker: Mertailor. They are made specifically to fit into his line of tails.

III. TAILS
    There are so many styles, colors, shapes, fabrics, and price points of tails. This will be an info dump with a few photos, but this is where your own research and personal taste come into play.

We will start with the biggest choice you'll have to make- FABRIC or SILICONE?

Silicone tails are big money, a lot of maintenance, very heavy, very annoying to fit, and I will be glossing over this option as 95% of most mermaid hobbyists will never own a silicone. I've had 2 and I do not recommend unless you're an avid swimmer with somewhere to wear it. It's like having a Lambo- fun and exciting in theory, expensive and annoying in practice.
    There are a few makers who go the silicone route- Mertailor, Finfolk, Merbella, and Mernation are the big 4. Mernation & Merbella are exclusively silicone, while Mertailor and Finfolk just kind of dabble occasionally. The waitlist on both are usually lengthy. Merbella is at about 2 years, plus she picks and chooses her commissions meaning you might never get a response. I've never owned a Merbella so I can't speak to her quality or ordering process once she accepts your idea.
    Mernation will take on pretty much every order. They are very quick, efficient, and their tails are very high quality. From initial email inquiry to delivery was approximately 7 weeks. *Fun fact- They did Shakira's mermaid tail for her recent music video*
    For the sake of transparency, my silicone was $4300 which included all the fins, and a matching bra. Most silicone tails start at $1500 and can go as high as the stratosphere.
    My first silicone tail: (Sold it)

Fabric tails are your best bet. They run the gamut from small and simple to crazy and boujie with all the fin options you could ever want- ankle, calf, dorsal, hip fins... You name it, there's an option for a fin there.

(you need an account to see links) Finfun is the perfect starter brand. Their tails are sold on Amazon (only buy direct from the Finfun store there, fakes are in abundance), and they have their own website (listed below). I use their cheaper tails for my photography business. They have sales throughout the year and promos all the time. They also have an ambassador program where their sponsored mermaids have a 10% code you can use. #notsponsored
    These tails range from $30 (kids tails) to $40 (adult tails). They're super beginner friendly, very stretchy, and have a cheap, but safe, monofin insert that brings to total to less than $75.
    They also have an "elite" option. It's a bigger, brighter, more patterned tail option, and I've heard great things about it. It has a special monofin specifically fitted for the elite tail. The Elite are $379-$400, not including monofin.

The biggest 2 fabric tail makers in the mermaid game are Mertailor & Finfolk Productions.
    Their fabric tails are the creme de la creme of mermaid tails. Basically, pick a favorite and go nuts. Can't go wrong with either. It's basically down to your personal preference. I'll be adding my opinions in the final section of this guide to give you an idea of how I purchase mermaid tails.

(you need an account to see links) Mertailor sells their tails on made-to-order system. You go to their website, pick your desired monofin style, pick your favorite tail that will fit said monofin, and add to cart. They have matching bras, leggings, and swimsuits for your tail of choice in some options.
    Mertailor recently began offering the option to order their tails for a cheaper price to deduct the fins for a sleeker tail body. You just email Candy and she'll send you an adjusted invoice. She's super sweet and very timely with her correspondence.
    Their cheapest option is the Guppy at $99, which fits the Linden monofin (sport monofin) at $70, for a combined $170 starter set.
    Their 2nd cheapest option, the Fantasea, is $100, plus the cost of the FF1 monofin (silicone) at $200 which fits that particular tailskin for a total of $300.
    Beyond that, you're getting into the big boy league. The monofin is bigger, the fabric is better quality, and the cost for materials is higher. This line is known as the Whimsy Tail.

(you need an account to see links) Finfolk Productions sells their tails on a batch system and a TOTM (Tail of the Month) system. TOTM is a single tail design released on the 1st of any given month and discontinued past the last day. They do not limit how many can by bought and they ship after all orders have been received. Their batch sales are just that- They make giant batches of special edition colors and styles and release them in limited quantities. They sell out FAST. They have a paid membership program called the *Pod Squad* who get a 1 hour jump on the limited sales. Usually everything sells out within that hour. If you ever want one of the Finfolk tails in this release, it's best to pay the $35 fee and join the Facebook group for the password on release day.
    Finfolk also sells tops, leggings, and matching tail stickers. Their silicone tops are very pricy, very beautiful, and sell out immediately upon release, just like the tails. I think their last top release was sold out in 6 minutes. Good luck if you ever want one.
    They have 2 fabric tail options- The Discovery Tail and their regular fabric.
    The Discovery tail uses the sport Linden monofin and has a simple, basic shape. Great for beginners. $215 for the tail, and $60 for the monofin.
    Their regular tails are bigger, contain the vinyl inserts mentioned earlier, and can hold a couple of options of monofins. They have the preferred monofins listed under each tail's page as the choices can change based on the tail. These tails usually run $400-$750 depending on the fins you choose. There is currently no option to pick and choose which set of fins you want, the drop down menu will list their options.

IV. TAIL MAKERS

Here is the list of known and tested tail makers. Their quality and tails have stood the test of mermaid time and all are recommended. Some are better than others, but it's personal taste as to which one you choose.

Finfolk Productions : (you need an account to see links)
    Mertailor : (you need an account to see links)
    Mernation : (you need an account to see links)
    Finfun : (you need an account to see links)
    Merbella : (you need an account to see links)
    Nereid Studios : (you need an account to see links)
    Moonsong Magic : (you need an account to see links)

V. LILAC'S HOT TAKES AND EXTRA LINKS

My personal preferences are just that. Mine. I have tried numerous monofins, been in every type of tail under the sun, and in all types of water bodies and situations.
    I will 100% recommend the Mertailor silicone monofins. I despise the sport fins. They cause blisters on my feet and the hard plastic in their construction hurt my feet. I will usually avoid Finfolk because of this. I can fit a Mertailor FF1 in most of their tails with the vinyl, but it's usually a hassle. Mertailor is an easier buying option, and they do offer custom color option through their approved artists. It's a huge markup, but if you want custom, they're your people.
    I do love the Finfolk tails. They are gorgeous, their fabric is soft and fits nicely, but the monofin is a dealbreaker for me.

If you do decide the silicone route, I would highly suggest you only stick with the well-known makers. So many sketchy makers will use unsafe silicone, do shoddy work, and charge way too much for garbage quality. Mernation is my go-to for silicone. They're fast, the tails are amazing, and you're guaranteed a great customer service experience.

If you ever have any questions, my inbox is open. Even if I'm not around the site, I still get PM notifications to my email and I would love to answer any of your queries.

Here are my recommendations for swimming safely:
    PADI Mermaid Certification - The Professional Association of Diving Instructors offers a mermaid- specific course.

They teach safety basics, swimming techniques, and problem-solving for underwater situations. This is your best course of action to make sure you're doing the hobby "right".

I would also suggest a water safety and/or lifeguarding course at your local pool or gym that covers CPR and rescue techniques. If you're properly swimming with a buddy (YOU BETTER BE AND DON'T LET ME FIND OUT YOU AREN'T!), it's good to have that in your back pocket for emergencies.
    Last edited by Lilac Tentacles; 07-08-2023 at 01:40 AM. Reason: formatting

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

billytiddles (07-08-2023),Bulbasaur (07-08-2023),Charizard (07-08-2023),Crooked (07-08-2023),DarkSkies (07-08-2023),Evelynn (07-21-2023),Ice (07-08-2023),kittyray (07-08-2023),KJiU (07-08-2023),LibraryFaerie (07-21-2023),PabstBlueRibbon (08-25-2023),Rinon (08-25-2023),Sephora (08-26-2023),Synth Salazzle (07-08-2023),Teakwood (07-08-2023),Zenitsu (12-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    18d 13h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    I had no idea what I was going to be reading when I started, but it was very interesting - thank you for putting this together!

Just a suggestion - the yellow text headers are very hard to read on the normal/light theme, might want to try a different color.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to billytiddles For This Useful Post:

Lilac Tentacles (07-08-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by billytiddles View Post
    I had no idea what I was going to be reading when I started, but it was very interesting - thank you for putting this together!

Just a suggestion - the yellow text headers are very hard to read on the normal/light theme, might want to try a different color.
    I literally forgot light theme was an option LOL! I've been in dark mode since like 2015.
    Fixed!

And yes, it's definitely weird. haha.
    More people should do it. Be weird with me.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

billytiddles (07-08-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    77d 1h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Oh my word, I 10000% need to get my friend into Neopets and then bring her over here so she can see this!
    You are amazing!

Wonderful Guide!
    There is so much that goes into this than I ever would have known.
    I truly appreciate how passionate you are!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbasaur View Post
    Oh my word, I 10000% need to get my friend into Neopets and then bring her over here so she can see this!
    You are amazing!

Wonderful Guide!
    There is so much that goes into this than I ever would have known.
    I truly appreciate how passionate you are!
    Let's skip the middle man. She doesn't even need to cheat at neopets. Just tell her we're cool people who play hide and seek with pixel popsicles. She'll show up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (07-08-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    954 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I also use the default light mode skin so I am glad you changed the font color! And the little dividers are adorable thank you for sharing this write up! Super informative and loved all the breakdowns.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    44d 3h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Wow this is awesome! I'm going to show this to my wife lol, she's into this kind of stuff!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    420 times
    Time Online
    84d 21h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 8m
    I saw the thread yesterday but I was falling asleep so I decided to check out today and I'm glad I did.

Lilac this is an incredible guide it really shows off your knowledge and love for the hobby

I like the pictures you put as an example, as I told you before this is all new for me. The mermaid tails (well all the set) it's expensive but the designs are so gorgeus! And having customization service? Wow that's another level!

I must say I'm very surprised by the fact that the batches sell really quick and some waiting periods are longer (it almost made me wish I was seller for these things lol)

Thanks for putting this together, very very complete and fun and interesting to read through.

Oh and I'm sorry but I'm a light theme reader too xD

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    24d 1h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    This is truly amazing! My old friend is really into mermaiding so it's fun to learn more about it. Thank you for sharing

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Charizard For This Useful Post:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I saw the thread yesterday but I was falling asleep so I decided to check out today and I'm glad I did.

Lilac this is an incredible guide it really shows off your knowledge and love for the hobby

I like the pictures you put as an example, as I told you before this is all new for me. The mermaid tails (well all the set) it's expensive but the designs are so gorgeus! And having customization service? Wow that's another level!

I must say I'm very surprised by the fact that the batches sell really quick and some waiting periods are longer (it almost made me wish I was seller for these things lol)

Thanks for putting this together, very very complete and fun and interesting to read through.

Oh and I'm sorry but I'm a light theme reader too xD
    I have mine set to dark because I sit on my phone at night like a cave goblin 🤣

And re: the batches selling quickly
    There is a collaboration between finfolk and merbella coming end of this month, and people are RABIDDDDD. Everyone is selling off their tails to make money for this thing. We're expecting record sellout time. I'm not a fan of the designs, but I am trying to sell a couple of tails for tickets for my Bali trip and I'm going to have to wait lol.
    I need depressed mermaids who missed out on the sale with extra cash to buy my last silicone and fabric tails. It's like a mini economy of highs and lows, we have to wait on market trends for things to move. 😆
    So hopefully this sale goes off swimmingly and I'll have a few buyers before August.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (07-08-2023)