Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with planning a friend's birthday party?

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

Question Help with planning a friend's birthday party?

A friend of mine will be renting a hotel room for a night this month for his birthday party. It's going to be a small gathering of just about 4 of us. I offered to help plan for some activities for but I'm kind of at a loss. The last birthday party I went to was when I was a kid so all I remember is stuff like Princess parties or piñatas LOL. I'm also not the party type so I don't have much experience with it period.

Does anyone have an idea of what a couple of grown adults can do for fun on a birthday? So far I think we can probably go swimming at the hotel and hit up a local karaoke bar. But I don't know what we can do in the room itself which is where most of the party will happen.

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    209 times
    Time Online
    41d 18h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by niconiconii View Post
    A friend of mine will be renting a hotel room for a night this month for his birthday party. It's going to be a small gathering of just about 4 of us. I offered to help plan for some activities for but I'm kind of at a loss. The last birthday party I went to was when I was a kid so all I remember is stuff like Princess parties or piñatas LOL. I'm also not the party type so I don't have much experience with it period.

Does anyone have an idea of what a couple of grown adults can do for fun on a birthday? So far I think we can probably go swimming at the hotel and hit up a local karaoke bar. But I don't know what we can do in the room itself which is where most of the party will happen.
    Celebrating in a room seems to have its limits isn't it like follow the rules and regulations of the hotel, noise level etc ?
    The only ideas i could think of is decorating the room via balloons , party stuffs and presents ? so you could do presents exchange ( exchange seems to fit more for christmas haha ). There is also ordering room service for the birthday meals / cakes / drinks & others.
    Then you could also do some interactive games - board or card games ?

Do you side have KTV (Karaoke Room / Lounge) , its pretty common here in my country that people just head to KTV to celebrate instead since they can sing their heart out , jump around eat and drink haha. (on another thought i guess it only applies to those who love to sing ?)

Hope my tiny little ideas contributes helps you out by a little

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

niconiconii (06-25-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    710 times
    Time Online
    83d 19h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Having a birthday party in a hotel room as adults is a little.. different. Especially if there is four of you. Keep in mind, to be respectful of neighbours and hotel rules, there is only so much you can do in the room itself without disturbing others.
    What @(you need an account to see links) suggested is what I would think to be best. What are your friends interests? Plan activities based around that 😅

Also, are all four adults staying in one room? Maybe it’s just me but I wouldn’t want to share one hotel room overnight with that many people… especially on my birthday.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

KJiU (06-25-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,166 times
    Time Online
    557d 23h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    lI feel like it really depends on the kinds of things your friends like. Echoing the above, you might be limited by what the hotel allows, but I know a lot of people who wouldn't mind a quiet get-together so long as it's comfy and there's something fun to do like some sort of party game. There's also usually a lot of catching up because we tend to only all see each other once or twice a year, which by nature seems to be more low-key, but from context I'm guessing isn't the case for your friends.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

niconiconii (06-25-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Ok my favorite thing is taking photos so go on Amazon and get a backdrop, plus some themed photo props. Or if budget is an issue, make a backdrop out of a sheet or giant poster boards taped together. You can also make your own props. When I had my daughter's mermaid party, I got a Little Mermaid backdrop from Amazon for about $15 and then a pack of photo props on sticks. So, mermaid bra, fake hair, seashells, fun sunglasses and it's all made out of cardboard. Also I have an Instax camera and I got some Polaroid film and everyone at the party could take photos and have the pictures instantly. It's a quiet activity but it's super fun to do.
    Also if you're going to swim, get some diving toys and make a game out of it. I've never personally had the hotel have a problem with my friends and I playing diving games in the pool, as long as you're not diving off the side. You can also see if someone can bring some cornhole boards and go outside the hotel and set up cornhole. A lot of medium to nicer hotels will have a barbecue area and/or a fire pit where everyone can hang out. It just depends on what kind of evening you and your friends are hoping to achieve.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

niconiconii (06-25-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    953 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    Personally I've "partied" lowkey in hotel rooms a bunch (for conventions) and generally the best things (because hotels be fucking expensive) in my opinion is to be prepared with your own stuff! That includes snacks/food (do you know if the hotel rooms come equipped with a mini fridge/microwave? some will let you request a microwave but generally all these days have a mini fridge, but if you can bring a water boiler/secure a microwave there's a lot more food you can prepare to bring and eat to save on money + "bunker down" sleep over style), lots of drinks (water is a must, alcohol of course if you want it), and activities! If you like video games and have a switch there are tons of party games yall can play on that, also card/board games can be super fun if they're your thing. Since there's 4 of you it'd definitely help to plan ahead of time and split up who is responsible for bringing what. And of course you can do a movie/show binge if you like; just remember if you want to do something like hook up your own laptop to bring an HDMI cable and you MIGHT have to ask hotel staff for assistance if it's one of those annoying wall implanted TVs that you can't easily access the ports to.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

niconiconii (06-25-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    43d 23h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Firstly it definitely can be fun if it's small and intimate. But for starters I'd suggest byob? Ordering hotel alcohol is expensive. So the alcohol and cake if any can be pre-purchased. You can order fun room service things if it's not too expensive. Maybe have the room filled up with balloons? There will definitely be limitations like everyone has pointed out with noise levels etc, some hotels may not even allow you to have your own speakers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

niconiconii (06-25-2023)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Wow!! Thank you guys for all the suggestions and input. To answer a couple of questions and give more context:

1. We do plan to be courteous of our noise levels. All of us are pretty quiet people IRL so we're not going to start breaking things and doing karaoke in the room. Really the hotel room is just because my friend said he doesn't want to have to clean his house before and after the party lol. But he likened it to more of a sleepover than a party.

2. There will be two queen sized beds. We also are convention junkies so we're pretty used to sleeping in the same space/sharing beds for costs so doing it for one night won't be a sweat for us.

3. We will be bringing our own food! It's a themed party (My friend is a huge fan of horror flicks so he wants us to show up as slasher characters lol) so everyone's been given the task to make a themed snack. The birthday boy said he'll bring the drinks.

But everyone's suggestions so far have definitely given me a lot of great ideas. For example, I didn't even consider a photo prop but it'd probably make the whole theme thing more fun for everyone. Maybe I can find some cheap Halloween backdrops since it's the middle of summer lol. Also the idea of bringing board games/party games is actually really genius. I'll have to stop at the store and see what new games are out there. I only remember CAH and it's gotten pretty stale with time LOL.

Also we will be going to a karaoke place but unfortunately the ones we have here are pretty small, which is why we aren't just having the party there.

I think the suggestions everyone gave were super helpful though and I have a better idea of what to suggest. Luckily it's not a surprise party so really the four of us are just trying to put our heads together to make it a fun bday for my pal.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niconiconii For This Useful Post:

Infected (06-25-2023),KJiU (06-25-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    53d 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Honestly, one of the best hotel parties I've ever been to, someone brought their switch and we played mariokart all night. While drinking and just enjoying others company. It is a must have to any hotel party that I go to now.

Just make sure you have enough controllers for everybody to play

Thank you Hellraid <3

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 19h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I love planning parties, this is such a cute idea! Here's a few fun ones:

- Hopping onto what @(you need an account to see links) said, having a little photo/selfie section is always fun with little props.
    - Since you're in a hotel, you could do little 'spa' baskets for everyone for when you get home from the bar (sheet mask/lip balm/eye pillow etc)
    - Make it themed! Maybe do matching t-shirts or little party hats so everyone is wearing something somewhat similar/silly
    - Quick card/board games if you guys enjoy that. Could do something like CAH, Sushi Go!, Coup, etc.
    - If you have a movie/series you all enjoy that's lighthearted, you could always pregame with a "take a shot when" scenario

Enjoy the party, sounds like it will be fun

------------------------------
    John Cena Cat

Buff cena cat by @honeycomb