14/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    9d 3h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Just started picking up violin again

Had the urge to buy a violin and I just done did it, surprisingly I've been practicing at least 30 mins every day.

Any one have good tips on getting started? I played for a year when I was 15 and quit afterwards.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whyamihere For This Useful Post:

Ice (06-20-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    175 times
    Time Online
    244d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 18m
    im no good with musical instruments, but hey, i know of this youtube channel that encourages practicing everyday (40hours a day - their inside joke)!

i think the best tip is to enjoy the processing of learning and practicing. i think you'll not get burnt out as fast that way!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xmilo For This Useful Post:

whyamihere (06-19-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,167 times
    Time Online
    558d 3h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Oh, that sounds really fun! I took exactly one violin lesson as a kid and hated the lesson, but I loved "playing" on the violin for however many weeks (months? in that case, my poor parents) the rental lasted. I always struggled to keep up with music lessons as a kid, but wish it was easier to have something to just fiddle with.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

whyamihere (06-19-2023)

Pronouns
    🦕☄️🌃
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    162 times
    Time Online
    59d 1h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 23m
    I have family members who play violin (they're in mariachi) and I'm always amazed at what they can do with a violin!!

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    9d 3h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I didn't realize there were replies to my post....I was going to quietly delete my post HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by xmilo View Post
    im no good with musical instruments, but hey, i know of this youtube channel that encourages practicing everyday (40hours a day - their inside joke)!

i think the best tip is to enjoy the processing of learning and practicing. i think you'll not get burnt out as fast that way!
    I'm going to check out the video thank you! I think I'm trying to bite up more than I can chew since I'm taking on harder pieces than what I should be learning

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    Oh, that sounds really fun! I took exactly one violin lesson as a kid and hated the lesson, but I loved "playing" on the violin for however many weeks (months? in that case, my poor parents) the rental lasted. I always struggled to keep up with music lessons as a kid, but wish it was easier to have something to just fiddle with.
    Ooo hey if you've played it, you can consider yourself a violinist! Do you know why you struggled with music lessons?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I have family members who play violin (they're in mariachi) and I'm always amazed at what they can do with a violin!!

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time!
    Oh wow!!! Yeah I can't believe the things people can do with a violin, I just looked up what a mariachi band is and the things they do with violins.....I'm mindblown

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,167 times
    Time Online
    558d 3h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    Quote Originally Posted by whyamihere View Post
    Ooo hey if you've played it, you can consider yourself a violinist! Do you know why you struggled with music lessons?
    Combination of things, but a lot of it was struggling with keeping up with practicing, I'd get bored really easily during the times after something being new and exciting but before I actually got decent at it, and then I'd want to try some new shiny and exciting thing. But honestly I'm just not particularly musically inclined in general. I don't have the best ear for it and I can't carry a tune to save my life, lmao.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    954 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    @(you need an account to see links) that's awesome!! I spent my early school years (like, maybe 5th through 12th) playing flute in band (including 3 years of marching band) and honestly learning/playing an instrument is a really great experience looking back on it (despite me being an under performing shit and never practicing 💦) something my band director said all those years ago to us being that for the majority of us non-music majors (who were in the highest level band) was that would probably be the most skilled group of musicians we would ever play with and I am really thankful to having those memories and experiences!

I've always wished now that I'm an adult I can try to pick up the flute again but time management is a bitch. if you're already practicing a little bit every day I think that's one of the best ways you can ease yourself back into it - also for me when I played actively I definitely enjoyed playing music I liked (video game soundtracks, pop music, disney etc.) much more than classical pieces so I'd definitely suggest working on learning pieces of music you actually like!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

kittyray (06-20-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    I have zero musical instrument ability, but I have a lot of musician friends, and we've talked a lot about how the secret to improving any skill is to just continue to practice and enjoy the process! Imo being a beginner is the most exciting part of learning anything. There's nowhere else to go but up!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    That is awesome, never played the instrument myself. But it is a very nice instrument. Glad you picked it up again. I recently picked up my guitar after 8 years of absence from it.

Hopefully you'll stick with it. Violins are awesome!

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    76d 11h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I did that with a keyboard and I still dunno what I'm really doing but I'm having a good time and learning how music production and editing work still.
    Still learning to read music too.
    I'll get a full synth setup one day when I'm fully moved.

Hell yeah for random instrument obsessions and just picking them up.
    I recommend youtube most, that's just where I've been getting the most benefit. Sometimes self learning goes way better than trying to take lessons.
    Lessons can feel strict and just. Not fun, with self learning you can learn what you want to when you want to, you can practice all you want, it's just better imo.

I never did well in any kind of musical lesson in my life, didn't retain a damn thing. But I am starting to actually learn now. I just do what I want and it's what I recommend if you're only doing it for fun

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata