27/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilac Tentacles View Post
    To be fair, I heard reddit is trying to charge millions for third party apps to continue their services. That's pretty effed if rumors are true. That's a "f*ck you" price.
    thats exactly what theyre doing, theyre saying "hey no more third party apps" but without actually saying that.
    which sucks, because third party apps are quintessential to browsing reddit on mobile - they predate the official reddit app, and continue to supersede it with their breadth of features.

overall theres been this trend of social media sites/apps trying to become homogeneous and do away with the features that make them unique. discord with the usernames, tumblr with its increased emphasis on algorithms/recommendations, and reddit here.
    i fucking hate it. sending rancid vibes to the shareholders at the helm here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blissey For This Useful Post:

Jesuslovescats (06-25-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    114/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    42d 1h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    To be fair, I heard reddit is trying to charge millions for third party apps to continue their services. That's pretty effed if rumors are true. That's a "f*ck you" price.
    Yeah it feels like reddit has slowly been getting worse over the years.
    I still use old.reddit and once that's gone I'll probably not use the site anymore.
    It's understandable they are pushing the profit-model ahead of their IPO but they might've pushed too hard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:

Lilac Tentacles (06-13-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    yes @(you need an account to see links) the world of web archiving is really interesting and useful! Wayback Machine does lots of web crawling on it's own (with some limitations), I've definitely gotten lost checking out really old versions of some websites.

I agree about r/neo and APIs. I think they just didn't want to cross the picket line.

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Venture View Post
    thats exactly what theyre doing, theyre saying "hey no more third party apps" but without actually saying that.
    which sucks, because third party apps are quintessential to browsing reddit on mobile - they predate the official reddit app, and continue to supersede it with their breadth of features.

overall theres been this trend of social media sites/apps trying to become homogeneous and do away with the features that make them unique. discord with the usernames, tumblr with its increased emphasis on algorithms/recommendations, and reddit here.
    i fucking hate it. sending rancid vibes to the shareholders at the helm here.
    I'm a mod in a couple of moderately populous subs. I can't do squat without my apps. Ill probably drop out and just browse if they go through with it. I'm not fighting to bot with their software on my phone manually.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    190 times
    Time Online
    85d 10h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 34m
    They are-- the biggest dev is Christian from Apollo App (iOS). They quoted him 20 million/year to run his app... and then to make it worse Spez (childish CEO of Reddit who has gotten in trouble before for antics) accused Christian of "blackmailing" or "threatening" Reddit. In pure popcorn fashion, Christian came with the tapes to show that that wasn't true... but Spez doubled down in his disaster of an AMA.

There's also the issue that mod tools and accessibility tools are basically shit on the Reddit app itself lmao.

I hate to admit it, but I've been on Reddit for a while now and I'm disappointed in all this and will be quitting my mobile usage and limiting my desktop usage. It's probably for the best anyways... it's just disappointing to leave some niche hobby subs that I'm in

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aero For This Useful Post:

Ice (06-13-2023),kittyray (06-13-2023),Lilac Tentacles (06-13-2023),nousha (06-13-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    They are-- the biggest dev is Christian from Apollo App (iOS). They quoted him 20 million/year to run his app... and then to make it worse Spez (childish CEO of Reddit who has gotten in trouble before for antics) accused Christian of "blackmailing" or "threatening" Reddit. In pure popcorn fashion, Christian came with the tapes to show that that wasn't true... but Spez doubled down in his disaster of an AMA.

There's also the issue that mod tools and accessibility tools are basically shit on the Reddit app itself lmao.

I hate to admit it, but I've been on Reddit for a while now and I'm disappointed in all this and will be quitting my mobile usage and limiting my desktop usage. It's probably for the best anyways... it's just disappointing to leave some niche hobby subs that I'm in
    Spez is a spaz and honestly a little less reddit is probably good for us all lol. Just sucks because I love the embroidery community and I enjoy the nasty popping subreddit. Don't @ me 🤣

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    12d 16h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    50m
    In theory, I can understand the motivation for reddit wanting to charge money and not wanting the site to just be free training for AI. But we all know it isn't just about that. Charging millions is absolutely ludicrous. I'm not a redditor but I know how beloved apps like Apollo are to the community and I get why everyone is so pissed off.

Reddit's asking price is especially ridiculous when considering how practically the whole site depends on free labor performed by its users. Site content is fully generated by what users upload, and patrolled by unpaid subreddit administrators and moderators (I'm sure reddit has its own backend team but sub moderators are definitely the first line of defense). Unless I'm mistaken, users don't get paid by reddit for anything. At least with sites like YouTube or Tiktok there's potential for ad revenue as well as sponsors and partnerships with the platforms themselves. The world of Reddit moderation seems pretty thankless.

The sceptic in me thinks that the blackout is going to do a whole lot of nothing and after tomorrow most subs will go back to business as usual, but who knows. I wish them luck in sending their point across. I'm just too used to every platform careening off a cliff at this point, haha. Sometimes I really miss the internet of the 00s.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crooked For This Useful Post:

Aero (06-13-2023),nousha (06-13-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    175 times
    Time Online
    244d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 18m
    i was just thinking yesterday, what's up with reddit. all channels are private and locked up. so there's this reddit blackout going on...
    i wonder if reddit will stay firm like twitter, or waver in these protests... hmmmmm...

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    954 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I'm by no means a reddit power-user and do carry some surface level disdain for your stereotypical redditor bro behavior but this blackout definitely made it very apparent how much I do rely on reddit for random bits of quick answer or even in depth answer knowledge for a lot of random stuff - I think that was the beauty of reddit, how you could find a subreddit and niche info/community for just about ANYTHING. So from a knowledge compendium perspective, yeah it's kind of insane to consider the amount of information that could just go up in a puff of smoke. But I think I'm also just a pessimist as well in thinking that things will probably go back to normal... I mean personally I've never even heard of any of these third party apps and just use reddit as is (whether desktop or mobile) so I'm definitely not in the affected group of users. The kickback towards accessibility apps though is absurd and with how big their platform is, the prices they're gouging are so unjustified.

Also the fact that the founders are from my alma mater lmao... yea not surprised in the least.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    as much as i like reddit i will say:

(you need an account to see links)

this is good. Reddit has gotten greedy. let em burn honestly.

however i did like my mechanical keeb sub reddits alot lol

there will be new outlets if the ship sinks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post: