Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How are ya'll holding up with the fires? (Canada + Northern US)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    92d 21h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 6m
    My guess is that half-truths, as I've personally seen more of lately, are leading the commenters in that video astray. It is quite possible indeed that the fires started like that, however, probably not the reasons that they are thinking. I am skeptical of everything as well but logic has to step in at some point. I feel bad that people feel this way though.

I'll always remain hopeful that there will be better ways to help with these matters in the future, but I'm not holding my breath (not like I can anyway). I'm hoping by Sunday it actually rains and helps us all out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alcremie For This Useful Post:

John Cena (06-08-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It's almost certainly not anything nefarious in how this started. I understand, psychologically, why people would want to think that though so they have something or someone to blame rather than "small ember touched dead plant and it all went downhill from there"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zex For This Useful Post:

John Cena (06-08-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    82 times
    Time Online
    32d 15h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Stay safe guys <3 <3 <3

thank you Hollow for the amazing Gengar art piece

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hellraid For This Useful Post:

Cherubi (06-08-2023),John Cena (06-08-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by John Cena View Post
    Yeah, idk what they were thinking. Also I agree, rain would be a huge help. We're supposed to get rain this weekend, so hopefully that will slow down some of the spread in this area.

Omg Smokey the bear, I remember that. I'm still mad that Canada decided to 'retire' him and now we have a fox for our fire mascot.
    Also sorry about the covid stuff and your lungs, that's so shitty. Not a good time to be breathing in all the smoke.

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to downplay the video which does seem to support an idea of them starting around the same time period, but just by looking at the comments made by the author of the video they seem to be quite the anti-vaccine/government conspiracy type which makes me think they may not be the best resource for this type of matter.
    Also all the fires are pretty grouped up in a large forested area of Quebec which can also just be explained by the drought/intense heat being focused in a common area. If the entire area is being exposed to the same conditions, then it's not really surprising that similar things would happen across the area. At least in my opinion (which is also not an expert on the subject, obviously - just an opinion)

edited to add:
    - Small other thing too, all it takes is an ember to start a fire. With the way the wind is blowing, I wouldn't be surprised if the larger fires from around the area had their embers carried over by a gust of wind.
    Oh I absolutely agree. I took their video with a grain of salt. I don’t like to make it a habit to believe everything that I see, especially when the origin is from already jaded viewpoints. At the end of the day, we have to deal with the fallout. I just hope it can be contained and the air quality improves soon. I’ve never seen something as eerie as the views I had earlier in the week. Makes me feel bad for India if this is their normal. I couldn’t imagine. Hopefully we get some rain soon to help alleviate this mess.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 19h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Oh I absolutely agree. I took their video with a grain of salt. I don’t like to make it a habit to believe everything that I see, especially when the origin is from already jaded viewpoints. At the end of the day, we have to deal with the fallout. I just hope it can be contained and the air quality improves soon. I’ve never seen something as eerie as the views I had earlier in the week. Makes me feel bad for India if this is their normal. I couldn’t imagine. Hopefully we get some rain soon to help alleviate this mess.
    Very good point, we're all dealing with this together <3
    The air quality certainly feels surreal, especially when it's so orange. I also couldn't imagine living with this on a daily basis

------------------------------
    John Cena Cat

Buff cena cat by @honeycomb

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 19h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    (you need an account to see links)

Have to admit, this is hilarious

John Cena Cat

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Cena For This Useful Post:

Druid (06-10-2023),Lyrichord (06-10-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 7h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    I'm back in Seattle where the air is good, which I never thought I'd have the experience of leaving east coast and heading west to be the one where I escape the smoke. It was so bad yesterday heading to the airport that we masked in the car. I was hoping to watch the sun through the smoke during takeoff because I thought it might look interesting (while also being vaguely apocalyptic), but my seat was on the wrong side of the plane for most of it. My friends/friends-of-friends who work in the city had some wild skyscraper shots, though.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (06-10-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    57/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    20d 19h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    I'm back in Seattle where the air is good, which I never thought I'd have the experience of leaving east coast and heading west to be the one where I escape the smoke. It was so bad yesterday heading to the airport that we masked in the car. I was hoping to watch the sun through the smoke during takeoff because I thought it might look interesting (while also being vaguely apocalyptic), but my seat was on the wrong side of the plane for most of it. My friends/friends-of-friends who work in the city had some wild skyscraper shots, though.
    Glad you have some fresh air! <3
    The skyscraper shots are wild, I've been seeing some online

John Cena Cat

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    44d 7h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    41m
    It seems like Toronto's through the worst of it. Tuesday started as just "moderate risk" and I had day passes to Wonderland, so we went anyway - it was crazy seeing the smoke come in, like the difference in how hazy the view from the roller coasters was hour to hour. By the afternoon it fully looked overcast when it was actually sunny and cloudless. Then Wednesday I could smell the smoke even inside with my windows closed. It seems basically back to normal now though, and the headache I had Wed-Fri is gone

My brother's a firefighter north of Ottawa and he's been deployed all week, it'll be interesting to hear what it was like for him once he's back

thank you for the gay rights peo ♥ @honeycomb ♥