Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which transmission do you prefer for daily driving?

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 20h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

Which transmission do you prefer for daily driving?

Do you like manual or automatic transmission vehicles? In the long run ive always preferred manual due to the fact i can feel every gear while im driving. I've had a shop in the past and working on manuals was for sure much simpler. I've had a plethora of Nissan vehicles, yet i still find myself hugging V8s compared to nissans compact engines.

Which do you prefer and why? Have you driven manual?

Pictures of my cars because wynaut.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Demetri (05-05-2023),♥ lint ♥ (05-05-2023),Pidgey (06-12-2023),Zenitsu (05-02-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I've never actually driven a manual car and don't think anybody I know actually has one. Always thought it would be fun and a new kind of driving experience though. My camaro has those paddle shifters on the steering wheel that I'd mess with sometimes, but it's nowhere near a fully manual.
    Just ordered a '23 Tahoe last week that will also be automatic - but that's a necessity since it's my dad-mobile and I'm sure I'll have enough distractions while driving as it is haha

That new corvette looks MEANNNN and I've had my eye on it since they came out with it. I'm sure that's a hell of a lot of fun to drive manual - maybe one day!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

4. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (05-02-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    I had an Infiniti once upon a time. What a night little guy. Definitely one of the more reliable cars I had.. which is surprising because Nissan is a POS (Sorry not sorry Nissan lovers. Ask any mechanic about the number of Muranos they service lol)

I'm not the strongest with driving manual so based on comfort alone, I'd opt for automatic. Another reason is it kinda just makes sense in my city but if travelling to Europe and getting a rental, I wouldn't mind driving manual.
    I remember back in the good ol'days having a sticky note in our old Honda prelude that said in caps, "IS IT IN NEUTRAL??" loooool

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (05-02-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 20h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I've never actually driven a manual car and don't think anybody I know actually has one. Always thought it would be fun and a new kind of driving experience though. My camaro has those paddle shifters on the steering wheel that I'd mess with sometimes, but it's nowhere near a fully manual.
    Just ordered a '23 Tahoe last week that will also be automatic - but that's a necessity since it's my dad-mobile and I'm sure I'll have enough distractions while driving as it is haha

That new corvette looks MEANNNN and I've had my eye on it since they came out with it. I'm sure that's a hell of a lot of fun to drive manual - maybe one day!
    Royalty the cool thing is my company was the first to work on a prototype for those C8s we had one from Feb 2020 it was written on the rear crash bar after taking off the bumper lol. yes i totally understand autos being important, my nissan titan is my workhorse i haul every other weekend doing odd jobs for my buddys shop. totally get it! i like the newer camaro design, catfish not so much lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nattiee View Post
    I had an Infiniti once upon a time. What a night little guy. Definitely one of the more reliable cars I had.. which is surprising because Nissan is a POS (Sorry not sorry Nissan lovers. Ask any mechanic about the number of Muranos they service lol)

I'm not the strongest with driving manual so based on comfort alone, I'd opt for automatic. Another reason is it kinda just makes sense in my city but if travelling to Europe and getting a rental, I wouldn't mind driving manual.
    I remember back in the good ol'days having a sticky note in our old Honda prelude that said in caps, "IS IT IN NEUTRAL??" loooool
    nattiee! plus one in my book! infiniti had the usual torque converter transmissions, the rwd/awd infiniti at least, same with some nissan so nisan titan and pathfinder have the donut/torque converter. if youre purchasing nissan only buy rwd/awd their fwd trans are garbage like you said. i had a murano had to rebuild the trans and yeah not fun pulling a v6 fwd out.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (05-02-2023),Nattiee (05-03-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    1d 13h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Manual because it's what I was taught and cuz automatic cars are more expensive in my country so I got really used to it, feels a bit weird when I drive automatic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaiman For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (05-04-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I'm not legally allowed to drive anymore because of reasons I won't divulge in public, but I hate stick. Automatic all the way.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (05-04-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    708 times
    Time Online
    83d 15h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Definitely automatic. I live in a large city, that gets brutal winters with a lot of stop and go traffic and tricky road conditions, so it doesn’t really make sense to drive a manual. That and manual transmissions are nearly non-existent anymore, unless you buy an older vehicle.
    That and manual transmission just isn’t common in SUVs and that’s all I drive. I refuse to drive a car/sedan. It’s SUV or nothing. I drive a 2023 Hyundai Tucson Preferred Trend AWD, and I love it.

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (05-04-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Royalty the cool thing is my company was the first to work on a prototype for those C8s we had one from Feb 2020 it was written on the rear crash bar after taking off the bumper lol. yes i totally understand autos being important, my nissan titan is my workhorse i haul every other weekend doing odd jobs for my buddys shop. totally get it! i like the newer camaro design, catfish not so much lol

nattiee! plus one in my book! infiniti had the usual torque converter transmissions, the rwd/awd infiniti at least, same with some nissan so nisan titan and pathfinder have the donut/torque converter. if youre purchasing nissan only buy rwd/awd their fwd trans are garbage like you said. i had a murano had to rebuild the trans and yeah not fun pulling a v6 fwd out.
    Yes! I will never not buy an AWD ever again.
    I cringed at the thought of having to rebuild a transmission. Can I ask how much that set you back?

Can I also mention since we're talking cars how much I dislike how they're building cars these days?! Get yourself under the hood of any new car and it's like they purposely made it difficult to access so you get charged to service your car. The cute classic cars, though? Perfect. Immaculate. Some even have enough room to FIT in there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (05-04-2023)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    706 times
    Time Online
    156d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    I will have to say manual transmission all the way! I grew up learning on a manual and still have one today. It can be a pain in rush hour traffic but other than that its amazing. We are looking to replace our old car and they don't make manuals anymore they are so hard to find and it makes me so sad! I

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (05-04-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 20h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nattiee View Post
    Yes! I will never not buy an AWD ever again.
    I cringed at the thought of having to rebuild a transmission. Can I ask how much that set you back?

Can I also mention since we're talking cars how much I dislike how they're building cars these days?! Get yourself under the hood of any new car and it's like they purposely made it difficult to access so you get charged to service your car. The cute classic cars, though? Perfect. Immaculate. Some even have enough room to FIT in there.
    Nattiee i was swapping kids trans and engines all day at the shop. People dont know how to maintain their car anymore. Im glad you can! yeah the FWD trans was like 1200 but after i sold the murano i made out at 5k so not a bad day at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    I will have to say manual transmission all the way! I grew up learning on a manual and still have one today. It can be a pain in rush hour traffic but other than that its amazing. We are looking to replace our old car and they don't make manuals anymore they are so hard to find and it makes me so sad! I
    I was just talking to @(you need an account to see links) that nissan made the new Fairlady Z based off the old 240Z and Toyota Supra is now manual as well! Maybe look into those if its in your budget!