Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about users that adopt to permie homes only?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m

How do you feel about users that adopt to permie homes only?

I'm really curious about people's opinions on adopting out pets only to people who are keeping the pet?
    I understand preferencing people who have plans for the pet but outside of that you can't really force people to do what you want with their pet once it's theirs? And if you don't give people the opportunity to retrade I feel like that causes more people to be dishonest anyway?
    I've seen plenty of people share stories about feeling cheated because they adopted out a pet for someone to retrade but imo it probably wouldn't bother me since I adopt out pets with the mindset that it's not my pet at all anymore.

I know this sounds like a very typical middle of the night thought, nothing really triggered this other than seeing people wanting to give pets away for people to keep only, just wondering what the general consensus on it is?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rowlet For This Useful Post:

♥ Cerberus ♥ (05-14-2023),Excalibur (05-08-2023),Fiore (05-05-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    26d 1h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I definitely think there are good points to be made either way.

On the one hand, I completely agree with you that enforcing a "Permie Only" rule could result in unnecessary lying. I also do appreciate someone who tries to trade for their dream-pet than go straight for the adoption route (although I just buy pets nowadays lol )

But on the other hand, I also intuitively feel like adopting out a pet to someone who will keep it is a more direct way to make someone happy.. and that appeals to me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that both sides have reasonable arguments and I dont have a strong opinion on this.

◞ thank you @KJiU for my Sunflower scene + @kittyray for my lion!

Profile Picture by Lyricchord & Signature from /~Stoffig

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uma For This Useful Post:

Fiore (05-05-2023),Polorin (05-05-2023),Sakuras (05-05-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    157d 5h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 20m
    I don't ever get involved in either side of the adopting process onsite as I find the whole process a little grim, but I completely agree with you that you can't force someone to not trade an adopted pet once it's in their possession. However I would argue that if we are saying that the adoptee has the right to do what they wish with said pet once they have the pet in their possession then surely the person adopting out also has the right to state their preferred stance on those who can apply while the pet is in their possession (regardless of what happens to the pet once adopted).

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soap For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (05-06-2023),Fiore (05-05-2023),Ice (05-05-2023),Polorin (05-05-2023),Raylu (05-07-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    78 times
    Time Online
    19d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I get the appeal of it but you also can't get mad if in a few months or a year they trade them away. Character potential and inspiration for a pet are way more important than just name and color. I've got so many pets that I adored when I made them currently rotting on a side because I don't have motivation for them anymore.

you have bugs in your code? sounds yummy.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizerd For This Useful Post:

Fiore (05-05-2023),Polorin (05-05-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    949 times
    Time Online
    116d 18h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I definitely prefer adopting pets out to permanent homes (to the extent of my knowledge when reviewing apps at least) simply because I hate the trading circuit and nearly everything it breeds - of course this is primarily for pets that I have sentimental feelings for. If it's just a random one off pet/trading fodder then I wouldn't care as much. I would much rather a pet that I loved and cared for be treated the same way rather than ping ponged around the PC cesspool. Of course you can't control what people do with the pet once they receive it so I'd be highly scrutinizing of their current pets' treatment and their known behavior on the PC. But I suppose that's neither here nor there since I'm pretty much sitting on a set of permanent pets of my own that'll be deleted with my account at the heat death of the universe.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:

Fiore (05-05-2023),Lazuli (05-11-2023),Polorin (05-05-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her 🌙
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    74 times
    Time Online
    15d 15h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    i agree with ice on this. i feel it's just a matter of how much you care for the pet. i mean, in the end of the day, we all know neopets are just a bunch of pixels - doesn't matter what you do or how long you keep it. so it's completely fine if people want to treat their pet that way.

however, people feel attached to things from time to time and neopets are no different than that. i don't adopt pets out anymore, but when i did, i always tried to find someone that would keep it. also, i decided to self freeze some old accounts with bn pets because i didn't trust anybody to really take care of them.

now, what people giving pets away have to keep in mind is that once they send the pet, they can't really enforce the other person to keep it forever. no one signed any contract, so if they lied or just changed their mind after some months, that's not up to the old owner anymore.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Polorin For This Useful Post:

Fiore (05-05-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    10h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Maybe it's because I have fond memories of writing "applications" to adopt specific pets, but at least from the perspective of the prospective owner/adopter, I feel like it is somewhat dishonest to adopt a pet that you will later retrade or not care about if the owner explicitly wants the pet to have a more permanent home. On the other hand, if the owner doesn't mind much and just wants to adopt the pet out with no regard for the final outcome, then of course I don't see any issue with it.

Intent matters, and at the end of the day, how you feel about your actions is what counts the most for me. If I would feel dishonest adopting a pet that someone put a lot of heart into and wants to see the same, then I would not treat that pet as a commodity.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sanctus For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (05-06-2023),Fiore (05-05-2023),Polorin (05-05-2023),Pringle (05-07-2023),Seeno (05-05-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    19d 6h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I think the only way this would make me a little tilted is if I was a runner up for a pet I was planning on keeping forever and someone beat me and immediately traded it away.
    But this would require me to actually talk on the boards so never going to happen.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Effektivv For This Useful Post:

Fiore (05-05-2023),Pringle (05-07-2023),Winona (05-08-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,164 times
    Time Online
    557d 12h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    I've personally never done formal adoption processes, just random-act-of-kindness types because I find out something about a friend of a friend and I realize I have a pet with a name I think they'd find hilarious or just a pet they'd vibe with, or I stumble on an art page I really like and I happen to have a pet they're after. So mostly I adopt in situations where the person is very likely to keep it for whatever reason. That said, I wouldn't be offended if they end up retrading down the line for whatever reason.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Fiore (05-05-2023),Pringle (05-07-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I think it's a nice sentiment to adopt to someone who will keep it long term not just because you want your old pet to be valued by someone else (potentially), but it's to give it to someone who has always wanted that pet. I try to look for those people, but take it all with a grain of salt because at the end of the day, I have no control over what that person chooses to do afterwards. I was chosen to adopt a pet named after one of my favorite Digimon and I told them that and still have the pet, but I haven't done much with it so I feel bad. I can't hold people to higher standards than what I would do myself, ya know?

I think, tho, that this is a whole 'nother ball game when it comes to UCs...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lint For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (05-06-2023),Fiore (05-05-2023),Polorin (05-05-2023)