Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    6d 19h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Question about the pets being sold on here

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I haven't been on here in years but I want to start playing neopets again. Basically, all the people selling rw/uc pets on here, are most of them from hacked random inactive accounts? I know the rules say that's not allowed but like,, where else are all these rare pets coming from honestly?

One of my old accounts with rare pets got hacked and my pets scattered around during my years off the site, so maybe I'm biased idk but is that where they're from because i wanna buy cool pets but i feel guilty :'(

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    11d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Most of the pets sold here are either the sellers actual pets, or have been acquired by legit trading through the PC. This is just a place where they can trade them for a different form of currency

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foxe For This Useful Post:

Delibird (03-22-2023),isabelg (03-22-2023),j03 (03-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    6d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    As taye said, most of the pets do come from legit trades and the main reason they're being traded here is because this platform allows for the exchange of real life money for the pet you're after.
    However exercising caution is advised thru the entire website, specially on the trading forums. There are several tips for newbie traders and advice for them to follow in order to carry out a smooth and fruitful transaction.
    Look for users with good reputation and a good feedback history.
    - ⚡ -
    Userbar by me

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    6d 19h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Okay thanks for your reply!! I guess you can always ask people to prove they got it through legit means.. I used to sell/trade on here years ago but definitely remember buying neopoints and like being aware i was cheating at the game lol.

Another question, is the neopets team still very strict about people doing offsite trading? I would imagine their team is much smaller these days and they don't bother y'all over here much?

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    The team is smaller, yes, but that doesn't mean they're too lax. They usually don't act on enforcing the rules so long as you be discreate (i.e. not posting all over the place with your account), keep quiet, and are not reported.

There are still some people who do not exercise caution with their purchases which can lead to them being reported to TNT for suspicion. Of course, you'll never be 100% guaranteed to be scot free due to the team not being too large, but go into buying/selling with the mindset that there is a chance you can get in trouble. Though, reputable sellers here will still do their best to make sure to trade in a relatively safe manner.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

♥ Cerberus ♥ (05-20-2023),isabelg (03-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    6d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by isabelg View Post
    Okay thanks for your reply!! I guess you can always ask people to prove they got it through legit means.. I used to sell/trade on here years ago but definitely remember buying neopoints and like being aware i was cheating at the game lol.

Another question, is the neopets team still very strict about people doing offsite trading? I would imagine their team is much smaller these days and they don't bother y'all over here much?
    Going to answer with a quote from Bat that I liked a lot in reference to today's Neopets security:

"The Neopets site is basically policed by vigilante players nowadays, and the Neopets team bolsters that behavior by indulging some of their inane tattling with repercussions for other players. We got to where we are with the various downsizes to infrastructure and employees, resulting in a lot of alarms either being turned off in order to reduce the load on limited hardware, or ignored due to a shortage of manpower. While you should strive to never break rules in ways that are known to set off automated alarms, your biggest threat is drawing unwanted attention to yourself. Be smart, careful, patient, and subtle with what you're doing, and you'll tiptoe around most of these whistle blowers. The biggest mistakes are getting greedy, going too fast and making obvious what you're up to.

Again, there are lots of discussions about all of the above throughout the forum, and this is not intended to be a declaration of victory for cheaters or a free license to go nuts, but it is exceedingly easy to color outside the lines if you're clever about it.

Also, please please PLEASE stop outing yourselves to other communities. If you ever have that tingling sensation to share sceenshots of your wealth or your accomplishments: don't. Just don't. You may get a small amount of applause, but there is always somebody out there smashing the "report" button on you."

In short, you'll be ok if you keep it low and slow. Moderation is key and doing everything at a believable, REALISTIC pace will result in believable, realistic outcomes.
    - ⚡ -
    Userbar by me

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dero For This Useful Post:

Buizel (03-22-2023),Dot (03-22-2023),Erik. (03-22-2023),isabelg (03-22-2023),j03 (03-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Yes, you're cheating in the game. But such is life in which money is the solution to most problems.

Some people are born rich, some people get rich, and some just live their entire lives poor. I can safely say those people who are rich are cheating in life because of all the access they get just by having money but that's just my perspective.

You could be breaking TNT's policies here, but at the end of the day, do you really want to spend thousands of hours trading for a pet and navigating through toxic chat boards and horrible players just to get what you want, or do you want to just pay the money, get it, and be happy?

I'd choose the latter any day.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

Candycane99 (05-04-2023),DarkSkies (03-22-2023),Dot (03-22-2023),isabelg (03-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    6d 19h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I mean I agree with you on that (also about the rich people thing, im currently doing a humanities degree looool) AND the fact that you can buy NC and other perks on the site legally is the basically same thing as buying np/items for real $$ imo.

I just worry about taking someone's pets that might try to look up their old account after years & years of not playing and seeing their pets that they still remember and loved and made art for are all gone. I guess thats my karma for cheating back then though lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Where do you think most of the pets UFT onsite via “legit” means came from? I’m sure plenty of people remember back when RN/RW names were not as sought after. Where do you think all those names came from? Where do people think a lot of the high end, rare, obscure items being traded around onsite come from?

A majority of the time they come from illegit sources, typically long long ago account.

Years ago I sold hundreds and hundreds, probably bordering on 1k or more VWN UC pets. Many of them flew under the radar but some of them were reported back when captchas were a thing. Fast forward to today, find a VWN UC for trade onsite where the owner thinks it’s legit and there’s probably a 50% chance I can pull up the username of the old shell/inactive account it was originally on.

There are still A LOT of pets, items, accounts, etc traded here on ck that come from inactives. Accounts like yours that had been inactive for years and years are often hit because most of the time the old user doesn’t come back. Most sellers will exercise caution with inactive and consider whether it’s a built up main that somebody may want back, or if it’s a junk side/shell that is long forgotten.

Just because something isn’t 100% legit doesn’t mean it’s unsafe. You should always ask questions to get clarity. A seller should be willing and able to answer those questions to make sure you’re comfortable with everything. If somebody is short or dismissive when discussing, then listen to your gut and look elsewhere.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

isabelg (03-22-2023),Jesuslovescats (04-24-2023),♥ pppp3 ♥ (05-25-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Honestly I would just assume that even pets that were acquired through "legit" trades might come from a stolen source originally. I got my UCs via trading onsite, but I have no idea where they came from originally. So they're "legit" on my end, but I couldn't guarantee their origin if I wanted to sell. Especially with pets being passed around in shuffles so often, idk. I feel like trading for these higher value pets is just accepting that you have no idea where they came from most of the time. I'm sure there are some pets who were traded away by their original owners, but I imagine they're the minority in the active trading pool. This is all just guesswork on my part.

♡ Signature by me ♡
    ♡ Custom userbar/avvie by Lyrichord ♡

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harpy For This Useful Post:

Candycane99 (05-04-2023),isabelg (03-22-2023)