34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I don’t think they’d comply with a request like that. They’d have no way to “confirm who the original owner” of the account is if they do that.
    Unless they did this but made it so you had to know what the OG email was and then they can confirm and wipe it as an account that is associated with your account anymore. It’s a fine line to walk and points can be made for both sides of the coin.
    But what if I sent the support ticket using the original e-mail address? How could they refuse a request from the original owner? That seems to be the crux of all these issues!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    But what if I sent the support ticket using the original e-mail address? How could they refuse a request from the original owner? That seems to be the crux of all these issues!
    There's always the case where somebody other than the OG user has access to the OG email account. They could just as easily change the email on the account to the OG email via a ticket and ask for every other email to be disassociated. That or any number of scenarios really.

The cases where they remove the MFA are probably the very slim majority - but if they removed the OG email, what other information would they use to verify your ownership of the account? There isn't really much identifiable information that can be used for that purpose. They kind of dug their own hole and I can't even play devils advocate to try and figure a better solution lol
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Corliss (03-22-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 13h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Man that really sucks for the person. TNT have a history of dealing with account theft quite poorly.
    It's the reason I don't interact with many people on the actual site because I don't want to draw attention to myself in any form and I try not to have anything that indicates my wealth either. For example I do all my big trades on an alt.

If something like this happened to me today, I'd just quit lol. I know the chances of it being resolved are slim to none.

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    There's always the case where somebody other than the OG user has access to the OG email account. They could just as easily change the email on the account to the OG email via a ticket and ask for every other email to be disassociated. That or any number of scenarios really.

The cases where they remove the MFA are probably the very slim majority - but if they removed the OG email, what other information would they use to verify your ownership of the account? There isn't really much identifiable information that can be used for that purpose. They kind of dug their own hole and I can't even play devils advocate to try and figure a better solution lol
    I'm just being facetious. There's no one size fits all solution for this so long as the Neopets team can be smooth talked out of accounts. As frustrating as it is to hear that this has happened despite their commitment to adding layers of security, it's a hopeful sign to our disparaged players that the Neopets team isn't completely unreasonable. Don't give up! Keep sending tickets, and you can accomplish anything!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bat For This Useful Post:

Corliss (03-22-2023),I_royalty_I (03-21-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    I'm just being facetious. There's no one size fits all solution for this so long as the Neopets team can be smooth talked out of accounts. As frustrating as it is to hear that this has happened despite their commitment to adding layers of security, it's a hopeful sign to our disparaged players that the Neopets team isn't completely unreasonable. Don't give up! Keep sending tickets, and you can accomplish anything!

Maybe they should have required 2 valid forms of ID to sign up for an account. One of those automated facial recognition systems that so many crypto exchanges have started implementing. Nobody could ever take your pixels again!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

8. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Corliss (03-22-2023)

*squeak*
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/1
    Mentioned
    1,751 times
    Time Online
    644d 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 42m
    Maybe they should have required 2 valid forms of ID to sign up for an account. One of those automated facial recognition systems that so many crypto exchanges have started implementing. Nobody could ever take your pixels again!
    Ha ha! Oh my god. I'll gladly surrender my facial landmarks if it means that nobody can steal my Snegg collection. Me an' the Negg Faerie are like this X.

Pronouns
    He/They
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    51/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    11d 7h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Not to put on a tinfoil hat but sometimes accounts being handed back like candy while some others don't makes me wonder if there is someone in on it staff-side being bribed. My heart broke when I heard about the deceased ex neo staffer's account being unfrozen and all their stuff gone...

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    6d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    Not to put on a tinfoil hat but sometimes accounts being handed back like candy while some others don't makes me wonder if there is someone in on it staff-side being bribed. My heart broke when I heard about the deceased ex neo staffer's account being unfrozen and all their stuff gone...
    That's a story I haven't heard about.
    But yeah, it's been rumored for long that there is at the very least one person behind all of the inside black market stuff going on at the HQ.
    - ⚡ -
    Userbar by me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dero For This Useful Post:

Android (03-21-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    47/0
    Mentioned
    434 times
    Time Online
    64d 3h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    26m

Idk about now, but in the past they also asked for the location for which you created the account... It helped me recover an old account of mine (which I did have access to the old email of btw). I don't think they do it anymore though, maybe because it's not very reliable information? if you created the account using some proxy or if the "location" is too big or something.

(you need an account to see links)

(you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)
    I̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶k̶a̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶r̶b̶a̶r̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶!̶ I GOT IT!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TsUNaMy WaVe For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (03-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    6d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by TsUNaMy WaVe View Post
    Idk about now, but in the past they also asked for the location for which you created the account... It helped me recover an old account of mine (which I did have access to the old email of btw). I don't think they do it anymore though, maybe because it's not very reliable information? if you created the account using some proxy or if the "location" is too big or something.
    Yeah they don't ask for anything but OG email nowadays and your ticket has to be sent FROM it, even if you know it from memory.
    Here's an extract of a conversation I had a couple days ago trying to recover a 17 year old acc (with no success).

Sadly the account ███████ has been inactive since 2006. Unfortunately we are unable to return the account without a ticket being sent in from the original email, which sadly that is not listed.

Sadly if that is not possible, we will not be able to return the account.

If you can open a ticket from the original email, please reply to this ticket with the ticket number.

Best Lilith Neopets Team

Pretty robotic reply, if you ask me. But I don't blame them, they must answer a gazillion of these daily.
    - ⚡ -
    Userbar by me