Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horror Thread + Share Your Recommendations!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    17d 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I love this thread

Huge fan of Nightmare on Elm Street series and spin off's. Favorite one is Freddy vs Jason (2003). Final Destination movies are also great if being paranoid is your thing. Thirteen Ghosts (2001) and Ghost Ship (2002) is underrated. Early 2000's horror were so good with a hint of cheesiness.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    7d 1h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    I'm not big into the horror genre at all but one that really got to me was The Descent. I think I found a brand new fear to caves and anything of the unknown in them. Of course you've got the classics like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Chucky, It, Final Destination.

I'd also take a look into Japanese horror, those are always very unsettling (not the American remakes) - The Ringu, The Grudge, Dark Water, Shutter...
    I think shutter was first made as a Thai film, at least that's how I watched it and it still gives me the creeps whenever I think about it. Neck pain or weight gain... WTF did I come into contact with!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rodelicious For This Useful Post:

Hollow (04-18-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by elgucci View Post
    I love this thread

Huge fan of Nightmare on Elm Street series and spin off's. Favorite one is Freddy vs Jason (2003). Final Destination movies are also great if being paranoid is your thing. Thirteen Ghosts (2001) and Ghost Ship (2002) is underrated. Early 2000's horror were so good with a hint of cheesiness.
    Yooo 13 Ghosts is SO underrated!!! I love that movie. I love to see a series of either tv or movies that dives into the lore of the ghosts more. I was fanatical about it. And I watched Ghost Ship at a sleepover when I was a teenager and I have been scared of taut wires for the last 21 years!

I'm definitely a slasher and 80s horror girl. And the campier the better. The original Scream is one of my all time favorites. Evil Dead is up there too. Interestingly, my first experience with that series was seeing Evil Dead: The Musical live. Fantastic experience. I don't typically like horror games, but Until Dawn is one of my most favorite video games, and I think it's because it's mostly cinematic. And it's fun being able to make the smart choice vs the tempting choices (my partner was so disappointed when I chose to split up the group the first chance I got, rookie horror mistake).

I have a friend that loves horror, and last year she started coordinating themed movie nights every month for a small group of friends. She comes up with a list, and the group votes on what we watch. I've seen some good, some bad, and some so bad they're good.
    October - Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (I was obsessed with those books when I was kid)
    November - Thankskilling (a so bad it's good)
    December - Krampus (the 2015 Adam Scott version)
    January - Time and Again, and one episode of Velma on HBO (my friends mom was in Time and Again, a very small indie movie that barely has an IMDB page. it was more of a time traveling murder mystery than horror but it was fun to see her mom in it)
    February - The Fly (body horror, probably my favorite of what we've watched so far)
    March - Maniac Cop (B movie but entertaining, plus it starred Bruce Campbell and he's a dream boat. there is a St. Patrick's day parade in one scene if you were wondering how this fit a March theme lol)

We haven't done April yet, because the hosts had a busy month but last I knew we were going to vote on something with a 4/20 theme. I'm hoping for something Snoop Dogg
    Last edited by LibraryFaerie; 04-20-2023 at 12:58 PM. Reason: extra detail

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    16d 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    Evil Dead Rise hasn’t come out yet so no one can really give you a review yet, haha.

The Conjuring universe of films went to absolute shit. The first one is the best one. Everything after that goes considerably downhill, which is too bad but not surprising.
    America gets some movies released before Australia, so I wasn't sure if EDR was one of them.

Insidious: The Red Door trailer dropped a couple days ago!

The trailer doesn't fill me with confidence, but I'm not one to judge before watching. So fingers crossed this is something worth watching!

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    9d 6h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Some of my top faves are a bit silly but it'd have to be
    1. The reanimator series
    2. From beyond
    3. Colour out of space
    4. Killer Klowns from outer space
    5. Cabin in the woods
    6. Event horizon
    7. Mama
    8. Nope
    9. Rosemarys baby
    10. The cube
    Last edited by Chilljoy; 04-26-2023 at 10:44 PM.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    1. The reanimator series
    2. From beyond
    3. Colour out of space
    5. Cabin in the woods
    6. Event horizon
    7. Mama
    8. Nope
    9. Rosemarys baby
    10. The cube
    Ughh…. “Nope” was SO BAD. Like, literally awful. I couldn’t believe I wasted my time watching that.

On an unrelated note, I saw Evil Dead Rise and Beau is Afraid this past weekend.

I really enjoyed Beau is Afraid. The way they portray Beau gives you this immediate and immersive attachment to him. You can really feel for him.

Evil Dead Rise was enjoyable and I appreciate that it didn’t take long for them to get into the story itself. No time wasted. Lots of gore, so that’s fun.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    9d 6h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Ughh…. “Nope” was SO BAD. Like, literally awful. I couldn’t believe I wasted my time watching that.
    I loved Nope!! I notice something new every time I watch it, and I've never seen anything like it before. It had a lot of components and I loved the ulterior message of the film, which is deeper than face value.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra View Post
    1. The reanimator series
    2. From beyond
    3. Colour out of space
    5. Cabin in the woods
    6. Event horizon
    7. Mama
    8. Nope
    9. Rosemarys baby
    10. The cube
    omg Killer Klowns from Outer Space is a childhood staple for me. My dad and I used to watch it all the time.

lovely ub and avatar by the endlessly talented @(you need an account to see links)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LibraryFaerie For This Useful Post:

Chilljoy (04-27-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    9d 6h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryFaerie View Post
    omg Killer Klowns from Outer Space is a childhood staple for me. My dad and I used to watch it all the time.
    I went through a pretty intense "bad horror movie," phase when I was younger and as far as "bad" movies go, it is one of the best!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chilljoy For This Useful Post:

♥ LibraryFaerie ♥ (04-28-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    30d 21h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilljoy View Post
    I went through a pretty intense "bad horror movie," phase when I was younger and as far as "bad" movies go, it is one of the best!!!
    I really need to rewatch it. I know if seen the thumbnail for it on one of the streaming services...

Arachnophobia was another one child me and dad watched all the time. I still hesitate pulling a light switch string alllllll these years later (IYKYK)