Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horror Thread + Share Your Recommendations!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Dero View Post
    Oh my gosh! How do you do this!? LOL
    I myself can't really stomach horror, not because of it's spookyness but because to me it looks silly and has me rolling my eyes a lot of the time.
    What are some recommendations for someone that wants to feel that suspense but not go "Cmooooooooon" when the plot eventually pivots into an unintended hilarious scene?
    If you read through my list again, you’ll see I’ve mentioned a few that likely fit that bill
    watch the trailers for them.

You also need to realise there’s a BUNCH a of subgenres in horror, which is why my list varies so much. You need to give things a chance and look beyond what may seem “rational”. That’s kind of the point of horror: it tells stories of things you’d never think of happening.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Dero (03-17-2023),harpy (03-18-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    If you read through my list again, you’ll see I’ve mentioned a few that likely fit that bill
    watch the trailers for them.

You also need to realise there’s a BUNCH a of subgenres in horror, which is why my list varies so much. You need to give things a chance and look beyond what may seem “rational”. That’s kind of the point of horror: it tells stories of things you’d never think of happening.
    I agree you have to kind of embrace that aspect to get into the genre! I find it hard to rec things for people who go into it thinking it's silly or whatever because it's definitely not a "rational" genre. You have to meet it halfway! That said, @(you need an account to see links) you could give Caveat (2020) a try.

@(you need an account to see links)
    Love your rec list! My husband and I are also huge horror fans, so it's tough to find recs that we haven't already seen! I'm adding You Won't Be Alone to my watchlist, and The Butterfly Effect

I put together a "something for everyone" horror list a little while ago as well! It's a bit outdated since I've watched a bunch since then, but I'll copy it here anyways:

Splinter (2008) | Creature
    Summary: Trapped in an isolated gas station by a voracious Splinter parasite that transforms its still living victims into deadly hosts, a young couple and an escaped convict must find a way to work together to survive this primal terror. For fans of: The Thing, Tremors

Triangle (2009) | Slasher
    Summary: A group of friends overturns their yacht and is forced to take refuge in a drifting ocean liner. They soon find themselves hunted by an unseen attacker. For fans of: You’re Next, Halloween

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2007) | Slasher/Comedy
    Summary: The next great psycho horror slasher has given a documentary crew exclusive access to his life as he plans his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo. For fans of: Scream, The Cabin in the Woods

Southbound (2015) | Anthology collection
    Summary: Five interlocking tales of terror follow the fates of a group of weary travellers who confront their worst nightmares - and darkest secrets - over one long night on a desolate stretch of desert highway. For fans of: Silent Hill, A Nightmare on Elm Street

The Descent (2005) | Creature
    Summary: A caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators. For fans of: Alien, 30 Days of Night

Caveat (2020) | Supernatural
    Summary: A lone drifter suffering from partial memory loss accepts a job to look after a psychologically troubled woman in an abandoned house on an isolated island. For fans of: Saw, The Grudge, The Ritual

In the Mouth of Madness (1994) | Supernatural/Cosmic
    Summary: An insurance investigator begins discovering that the impact a horror writer’s books have on his fans is more than inspirational. For fans of: Hellraiser, Stephen King

V/H/S (2012) | Anthology collection/Found Footage
    Summary: When a group of misfits are hired by an unknown third party to burglarize a desolate house and acquire a rare VHS tape, they discover more found footage than they bargained for. For fans of: As Above So Below, Creepshow, The Ring (I know people like VHS 2 better, but this one just scratches an itch for me!)

Lake Mungo (2008) | Supernatural/Mockumentary
    Summary: Alice drowns while swimming and her family begins experiencing inexplicable events in their home. The family hires a parapsychologist whose investigation unveils Alice’s secret double life. For fans of: Twin Peaks, The Haunting of Hill House, The Others

Last Shift (2014) | Home Invasion
    Summary: Rookie police officer Jessica Loren is assigned the last shift at a closing police station. Jessica comes to learn that it’s home to the ultimate embodiment of evil and his devoted followers. For fans of: The Grudge, The Amityville Horror

Session 9 (2001) | Supernatural/Psychological
    Summary: Tensions rise within an asbestos cleaning crew as they work in an abandoned mental hospital with a horrific past that seems to be coming back. For fans of: The Shining, Jacob’s Ladder

Overlord (2018) | Action/Zombie
    Summary: Towards the end of World War II, American paratroopers set out to destroy a German radio tower. Soon enough, things take a murky turn when they come across a vicious secret. For fans of: Resident Evil, 28 Days Later

The Night House (2021) | Supernatural
    Summary: A widow begins to uncover her recently deceased husband’s disturbing secrets. For fans of: The Haunting of Hill House, The Invisible Man, The Sixth Sense

♡ Signature by me ♡
    ♡ Custom userbar/avvie by Lyrichord ♡

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harpy For This Useful Post:

Madara (04-17-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    230 times
    Time Online
    70d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    34m
    I'm not big into the horror genre at all but one that really got to me was The Descent. I think I found a brand new fear to caves and anything of the unknown in them. Of course you've got the classics like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Chucky, It, Final Destination.

I'd also take a look into Japanese horror, those are always very unsettling (not the American remakes) - The Ringu, The Grudge, Dark Water, Shutter...

*that's rough buddy*

thank you Dita ;u; & thank you sugarbee *u* thank you Lyrichord for the ub *O* thank you Kibba for the dp eue

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollow For This Useful Post:

Madara (04-17-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    I'm not big into the horror genre at all but one that really got to me was The Descent. I think I found a brand new fear to caves and anything of the unknown in them. Of course you've got the classics like Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Chucky, It, Final Destination.

I'd also take a look into Japanese horror, those are always very unsettling (not the American remakes) - The Ringu, The Grudge, Dark Water, Shutter...
    Also get into Korean horror - they are really good at what they create! Amazing cinematography, writing, acting, everything!

Art Credits:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Hollow (03-18-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post

The Descent is top tier!! I remember watching it as a preteen and being unimpressed, then rewatched it as an adult and was like.. holy shit this is scary haha. Shutter's a favourite of mine too! I think it's Thai.
    Last edited by harpy; 03-21-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: addition.

♡ Signature by me ♡

10. The Following User Says Thank You to harpy For This Useful Post:

Hollow (03-21-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Don't really like horror flims but the ones Hollow mention i have watched them before with friends/cousin/family haha . (The Ringu, The Grudge, Dark Water, Shutter...)

Some others would be : The Eye (2002) , A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) , Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018) , Carved: The Slit-Mouthed Woman (2007).

Though this isn't a movie i kinda find it creepy as i happen to came across it back then : The momo challenge (Can't be unseen)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

harpy (03-25-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by KJiU View Post
    Don't really like horror flims but the ones Hollow mention i have watched them before with friends/cousin/family haha . (The Ringu, The Grudge, Dark Water, Shutter...)

Some others would be : The Eye (2002) , A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) , Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018) , Carved: The Slit-Mouthed Woman (2007).

Though this isn't a movie i kinda find it creepy as i happen to came across it back then : The momo challenge (Can't be unseen)
    I love to see Shutter get love in here, it's soo good.

Haunted Asylum has been on my wl for ages, but I've never heard of Slit-Mouthed Woman. Gonna look it up!

♡ Signature by me ♡

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by harpy View Post
    I love to see Shutter get love in here, it's soo good.

Haunted Asylum has been on my wl for ages, but I've never heard of Slit-Mouthed Woman. Gonna look it up!
    Haha yeah probably 9/10 people heard/ watcher shutter before . Slit Mouthed women is more of a Japanese folklore / urban legend . Not gonna re-watch Haunted Asylum it stills creeps me out.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    The most recent horror I've watched was the Netflix collaboration with Guillermo del Toro's 'Cabinet of Curiousities', which truly had such an amazing array of short horror stories that I'm keen to see more from some of these directors. Admittedly, I haven't watched much else recently, but I'm absolutely hyped for the Evil Dead Rise movie coming out soon, it looks fantastic and if you've already seen it please give me your review?
    I continue to watch The Conjuring series despite the franchise being utter trash these days. They had such a good starting point, with formidable and terrifying characters, but I imagine greed played it's part in the destruction of the series with their various spinoffs and fast releases.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombabe View Post
    The most recent horror I've watched was the Netflix collaboration with Guillermo del Toro's 'Cabinet of Curiousities', which truly had such an amazing array of short horror stories that I'm keen to see more from some of these directors. Admittedly, I haven't watched much else recently, but I'm absolutely hyped for the Evil Dead Rise movie coming out soon, it looks fantastic and if you've already seen it please give me your review?
    I continue to watch The Conjuring series despite the franchise being utter trash these days. They had such a good starting point, with formidable and terrifying characters, but I imagine greed played it's part in the destruction of the series with their various spinoffs and fast releases.
    Evil Dead Rise hasn’t come out yet so no one can really give you a review yet, haha.

The Conjuring universe of films went to absolute shit. The first one is the best one. Everything after that goes considerably downhill, which is too bad but not surprising.

Art Credits: