Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror Thread + Share Your Recommendations!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Horror Thread + Share Your Recommendations!

I'm a big horror fan, so I'm always looking for recs, particularly if it's a bit of a deep cut (since I've seen a lot)!

Some of my recent watches:

The Outwaters: meh. Felt like this has been done better/with more substance in other movies. Found it annoying mostly.
    Something in the Dirt: not for everyone, but I love Benson & Moorehead's stuff so I liked it a lot!
    Resurrection: Good overall, good performances, I think it was missing something but not sure what.

What have you seen/enjoyed recently? Any subgenre you tend to stick to (or avoid)? I'd love to chat with other horror fans

♡ Signature by me ♡
    ♡ Custom userbar/avvie by Lyrichord ♡

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harpy For This Useful Post:

Bela Lugosi (05-19-2023),Houndoom (03-16-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    62 times
    Time Online
    11d 8h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I am not a fan of the horror genre but I do have a few exceptions.

One of my top films of all time which happens to be a horror-comedy is Jennifer's Body. The film flopped in theaters (I saw the movie in theaters when I was 17 - me and my date were the only two people there. Didn't help that it was R-Rated and younger teenagers couldn't get in), but it has rightfully gained a cult following since then.

I would say it's Megan Fox's best work.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aymo For This Useful Post:

harpy (03-16-2023),Houndoom (03-16-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 40m
    I binged through the Scream movies in the last week so that I can go watch the new release! I looooved the first one and the 2022 reboot, and thought that number 2 was ok before falling off and them running out of ideas in the middle. Been too busy to see the latest one so far but hopefully I will this weekend!

Other in theater watches for me:
    M3gan was surprisingly good to me! Very dumb and fun and silly.
    I didn't hate Knock at the Cabin but it fell flat for me. I think I kept hoping it'd go elsewhere but it never did?
    I quite liked Menu, though that's less horror and more just suspensey? Am a big foodie and felt called out a bit too lmaooo

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    15d 11h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I recently saw "crimes of the future" and loved it, it was kinda hot honestly lol. I also saw "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" and didn't like it as much, mostly bc it was a little too slow and brooding for me I get bored easily lol. Very creepy though.
    🔗(you need an account to see links)

💖 meme inspo : Dita and Cat Purrson 💖
    orig. + more memes in (you need an account to see links)
    🌵 Cactus Ryu : Great White North🌵

7. The Following User Says Thank You to howdy For This Useful Post:

Houndoom (03-16-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by aymo View Post
    I am not a fan of the horror genre but I do have a few exceptions.

One of my top films of all time which happens to be a horror-comedy is Jennifer's Body. The film flopped in theaters (I saw the movie in theaters when I was 17 - me and my date were the only two people there. Didn't help that it was R-Rated and younger teenagers couldn't get in), but it has rightfully gained a cult following since then.

I would say it's Megan Fox's best work.
    I like this one a lot! I missed it when it came out and honestly only got around to watching it within the last year. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and I agree Megan is great in it. The whole time I was just like, omg I bet she had so much fun making this. I loved that they had the little forest animals fixate on her instead of being averse, it was a fun reversal on the usual "animal intuition" thing you see in a lot of vampire movies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndoom View Post
    I binged through the Scream movies in the last week so that I can go watch the new release! I looooved the first one and the 2022 reboot, and thought that number 2 was ok before falling off and them running out of ideas in the middle. Been too busy to see the latest one so far but hopefully I will this weekend!

Other in theater watches for me:
    M3gan was surprisingly good to me! Very dumb and fun and silly.
    I didn't hate Knock at the Cabin but it fell flat for me. I think I kept hoping it'd go elsewhere but it never did?
    I quite liked Menu, though that's less horror and more just suspensey? Am a big foodie and felt called out a bit too lmaooo
    Scream is a classic I never really got into the whole franchise but I hope the new one is good for you!! Have you seen Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon? It's kind of a similar vibe as the first Scream.

I liked M3GAN and The Menu - M3GAN really surprised me for how fun it was, and I thought her design was awesome. Are you going to watch the unrated cut that just came out?

I haven't seen Knock at the Cabin yet. My spouse read the book and really enjoyed it, and I heard that the changes made to the movie plot kinda deflated the whole like... story/theme? I'll probably get around to watching it eventually, but I'm glad I didn't spend theatre time on it I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by howdy View Post
    I recently saw "crimes of the future" and loved it, it was kinda hot honestly lol. I also saw "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" and didn't like it as much, mostly bc it was a little too slow and brooding for me I get bored easily lol. Very creepy though.
    Ahh, I really liked Crimes of the Future as well!! I left the theatre kind of underwhelmed (I thought it would be... grosser I guess?) but then I couldn't stop thinking about it, it really really grew on me. I want to rewatch it again soon. Cronenberg and that erotic body horror lol. Have you seen any of his son's stuff? Antiviral and Possessor are fantastic imo.

♡ Signature by me ♡

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harpy For This Useful Post:

aymo (03-16-2023),howdy (03-16-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    15d 11h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by harpy View Post
    I like this one a lot! I missed it when it came out and honestly only got around to watching it within the last year. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and I agree Megan is great in it. The whole time I was just like, omg I bet she had so much fun making this. I loved that they had the little forest animals fixate on her instead of being averse, it was a fun reversal on the usual "animal intuition" thing you see in a lot of vampire movies etc.

Scream is a classic I never really got into the whole franchise but I hope the new one is good for you!! Have you seen Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon? It's kind of a similar vibe as the first Scream.

I liked M3GAN and The Menu - M3GAN really surprised me for how fun it was, and I thought her design was awesome. Are you going to watch the unrated cut that just came out?

I haven't seen Knock at the Cabin yet. My spouse read the book and really enjoyed it, and I heard that the changes made to the movie plot kinda deflated the whole like... story/theme? I'll probably get around to watching it eventually, but I'm glad I didn't spend theatre time on it I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, I really liked Crimes of the Future as well!! I left the theatre kind of underwhelmed (I thought it would be... grosser I guess?) but then I couldn't stop thinking about it, it really really grew on me. I want to rewatch it again soon. Cronenberg and that erotic body horror lol. Have you seen any of his son's stuff? Antiviral and Possessor are fantastic imo.
    I haven't seen his son's stuff, or any of his other stuff tbh! I also love alternative evolutionary timeline scifi so I loved the idea of the people who have a mutation that allows them to eat plastic that was so cool.
    🔗(you need an account to see links)

💖 meme inspo : Dita and Cat Purrson 💖
    orig. + more memes in (you need an account to see links)
    🌵 Cactus Ryu : Great White North🌵

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 40m
    @(you need an account to see links) ooo I haven't seen Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon but I'll add it to my list! I also didn't know M3gan had another cut out so hopefully I will make time to see that soon.
    And yeah I think I didn't really enjoy spending the theater time on Knock at the Cabin, but I also have amc a-list so really it isn't a big deal for me to see movies that aren't fully my vibe haha

Ooh and I also do love Cronenberg's stuff! I enjoy some good body horror.

I did see the son's movie Infinity Pool and I'm... still not sure how I feel about it. Was very weird and acid-trippy and I'm not sure I enjoyed the experience, but I don't regret seeing it if that makes sense. Possible that it was just not my vibe haha.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I felt the same about Infinity Pool. Loved the performances, but it definitely wasn't my favourite. I think I wanted more from the doppleganger stuff?? It just didn't come together for me the way Possessor/Antiviral did, but trippy isn't always my go-to either. It was just missing something, like it presented a lot of things that it didn't actually use and spent more time on the benign unpleasantness than the interesting parts. I don't know if I'm making sense

- - - Updated - - -
    @(you need an account to see links)

Yess, the plastic stuff was wild; I'd watch a whole other movie just following more of that plot. I loved the world build.

If you're into weird scifi, you should give them a shot. I like Possessor better, but Antiviral leans more body-horror weird.

♡ Signature by me ♡

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    708 times
    Time Online
    83d 15h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Did someone say horror? I’m listening…

My husband and I are huge horror fans. We are always scouring Netflix and Shudder for good horror films.
    Because people know I’m a horror girl, I have a list I keep in my notes app because I get asked regularly for recommendations, especially for those who are new to the horror genre.

Here’s my list! I’m positive I’ve shared it before but I’ll share it again with a couple of additions. Note that I don’t mention any of the slasher series (think: Friday The 13th, Texas Chainsaw, etc) because those are Horror 101.

-House of 1000 Corpses Trilogy (so 1000 corpses, devils rejects, 3 from hell)
    -The Autopsy of Jane Doe (severely underrated)
    -Haute Tension (also known as High Tension in English. I 100% recommend this if you’re looking for something to play with your mind)
    -Martyrs (2008 French version NOT the 2015 American remake. This is NOT for everyone and it will leave you questioning humanity, but I highly recommend it)
    -Terrifier 1, Terrifier 2 (a new “modern” cult classic series that shows homage to the 80s slasher genre)
    -The Vvitch (wicked slow burn)
    -Suspiria (1977)
    -I Spit on Your Grave (1978) (TW: r*pe/SA but it is a revenge film)
    -Halloween and Halloween II (the Rob Zombie versions, controversial, I know)
    -The Butterfly Effect (2003) (honestly a classic for psychological thriller, a lot of TWs like CSA, drugs, etc so may not be for everyone but STRONGLY recommend)
    -Requiem for a Dream (purely psychological not horror at all, but this one is a tough one to watch always, TW: heavy drug abuse)
    -Lords of Salem
    -Honestly any film by Rob Zombie really LOL
    -Sinister (the first one)
    -Hereditary
    -Midsommar
    -SAW (but only 1 and 2, 3 is alright and the rest after that just suck)
    -Antichrist (this one is a bit out there but just trust me)
    -Run
    -Hostel (the first one really is the best one, don’t bother with the others)
    -Parasite (Korean)
    -Train to Busan (another Korean film, this one is zombie based and I’m not a zombie fan and loved it)
    -Jennifer’s body (A CULT CLASSIC!! I WILL FIGHT ANYONE ON THIS)
    -In Fabric (IMO this is also very underrated and I really enjoyed it)
    -Swallow (psychological thriller more than anything, not really horror but I still recommend)
    -Saint Maud
    -The Wailing (Korean)
    -I Saw the Devil (Korean, more of a revenge film and psychological)
    -You Won’t Be Alone (Macedonian, it’s about witches. This one made me cry because I was attached to the main character)
    -Speak No Evil (Danish, but mostly in English)

I will update this when I review my “watched” list because my ADHDtism brain can’t remember everything. But this is a great starter list of some notable pieces spanning the horror genres!
    Last edited by Cinnamoroll; 03-17-2023 at 08:46 PM.

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

♥ Cerberus ♥ (04-30-2023),harpy (03-18-2023),Madara (04-17-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    6d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    Did someone say horror? I’m listening…

My husband and I are huge horror fans. We are always scouring Netflix and Shudder for good horror films.
    Because people know I’m a horror girl, I have a list I keep in my notes app because I get asked regularly for recommendations, especially for those who are new to the horror genre.

Here’s my list! I’m positive I’ve shared it before but I’ll share it again with a couple of additions. Note that I don’t mention any of the slasher series (think: Friday The 13th, Texas Chainsaw, etc) because those are Horror 101.

-House of 1000 Corpses Trilogy (so 1000 corpses, devils rejects, 3 from hell)
    -The Autopsy of Jane Doe (severely underrated)
    -Haute Tension (also known as High Tension in English. I 100% recommend this if you’re looking for something to play with your mind)
    -Martyrs (2008 French version NOT the 2015 American remake. This is NOT for everyone and it will leave you questioning humanity, but I highly recommend it)
    -Terrifier 1, Terrifier 2 (a new “modern” cult classic series that shows homage to the 80s slasher genre)
    -The Vvitch (wicked slow burn)
    -Suspiria (1977)
    -I Spit on Your Grave (1978) (TW: r*pe/SA but it is a revenge film)
    -Halloween and Halloween II (the Rob Zombie versions, controversial, I know)
    -The Butterfly Effect (2003) (honestly a classic for psychological thriller, a lot of TWs like CSA, drugs, etc so may not be for everyone but STRONGLY recommend)
    -Requiem for a Dream (purely psychological not horror at all, but this one is a tough one to watch always, TW: heavy drug abuse)
    -Lords of Salem
    -Honestly any film by Rob Zombie really LOL
    -Sinister (the first one)
    -Hereditary
    -Midsommar
    -SAW (but only 1 and 2, 3 is alright and the rest after that just suck)
    -Antichrist (this one is a bit out there but just trust me)
    -Run
    -Hostel (the first one really is the best one, don’t bother with the others)
    -Parasite (Korean)
    -Train to Busan (another Korean film, this one is zombie based and I’m not a zombie fan and loved it)
    -Jennifer’s body (A CULT CLASSIC!! I WILL FIGHT ANYONE ON THIS)
    -In Fabric (IMO this is also very underrated and I really enjoyed it)
    -Swallow (psychological thriller more than anything, not really horror but I still recommend)
    -Saint Maud
    -The Wailing (Korean)
    -I Saw the Devil (Korean, more of a revenge film and psychological)
    -You Won’t Be Alone (Macedonian, it’s about witches. This one made me cry because I was attached to the main character)

I will update this when I review my “watched” list because my ADHDtism brain can’t remember everything. But this is a great starter list of some notable pieces spanning the horror genres!
    Oh my gosh! How do you do this!? LOL
    I myself can't really stomach horror, not because of it's spookyness but because to me it looks silly and has me rolling my eyes a lot of the time.
    What are some recommendations for someone that wants to feel that suspense but not go "Cmooooooooon" when the plot eventually pivots into an unintended hilarious scene?
    - ⚡ -
    Userbar by me