1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Fitness Goals/Why?

I know we have the weightloss progress post, but I was wondering what your goals are (if not listed there). I've seen a lot of posts around the 'net related to weightloss that talk about what your 'why' is in order to steer people away from doing what "society"/social media deems good. I've been thinking about this lately because I'm kind of in a standstill with my goals because I feel I can't really define them.
    So, what are your fitness goals and, if you feel comfortable sharing, what is your why?

For me, it's the generic "build more lean muscle mass and lose fat". I have a trainer and basically do whatever she tells me to do no questions asked because I'm training in a powerlifting gym and still don't really understand all the jargon while getting adjusted to the culture there and am not sure where I'm going there. For example, will I want to compete? Do I have squat/bench/deadlift goals? I'm kind of just going with the flow and assume I'll reap benefits eventually lol. I like it, but just not dialed in I guess on what I specifically want out of it. I know this to be true because my nutrition is all over the place lol. Curious to hear from you all on this!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lint For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (10-11-2023),Seohyun (07-22-2023),Strat (07-28-2023),Tyranitar (07-22-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    3d 14h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    When I was a little girl, my dad would take me with him to these bodybuilding gyms and I've always admired the work people put into transforming their bodies.
    My dad taught me that I am allowed to take up space in the gym, and has just overall empowered me to be the strongest and healthiest version of myself.
    Working out has been a part of who I am for as long as I remember! I guess my goal right now is just to keep getting stronger and building more muscle.
    I understand how hard it is for females to gain muscle so I laugh when people tell me I should stop trying to lift so much. LOL.

Signature by Wave's Signatures Factory
    Thank you for my Ryu bar Great White North!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to macaronbae For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-14-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    16d 10h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I've never known what it's like to be consistent with fitness and the older I get, the more obvious it is on my body. My goal is to work up some discipline for working out and build consistent habits, so that I can find my flow and enjoy going to the gym regularly or even just working out at home regularly. I was lucky when I was younger and was just a naturally good size/weight (even though I didn't believe it at the time) and it's alot harder to get back there than I ever thought. I'd like to get back to my "former me", but as a healthier, more fit, toner version of myself. As it is, I've gained alot of weight over the years and don't even like taking pictures or wearing the kinds of clothes I used to enjoy. I want to work out, get fit, and feel like a hottie again lol. For myself, my self-confidence, and not anyone else.

The worst part is, I actually like working out once I'm there... It's finding the motivation to get up and leave the house that's the clincher lol. That's alot harder now too with a family. And then I never know what to do when I'm there, when it comes to gyms. I think I need a personal trainer just telling me what to do, honestly lol. Or to sign up for some kinda class! I used to love crossfit and bootcamp classes.
    Custom userbar/avvie by the lovely @(you need an account to see links)

Beautiful starbirb Ryu, Meteion, by the talented @(you need an account to see links)!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dasvidaniya For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-14-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I probably mentioned it in the progress thread, but fitness related things are some of the few things that bring me any sort of joy. I used to be an avid outdoorsperson and would spend weeks at a time backpacking/mountaineering, but unfortunately had to give that up when my health got bad in my early 20s. I've had to accept that I'm never going to be in that spot again, just due to a combination of age and the nature of my conditions, but I've found other things that I enjoy. I'm a simple "see number I lift go up good" type or being able to run for longer and longer periods of time, though between covid precautions and another health turn about a year ago, I haven't done much lifting or running or the like the past few years. Lately I've been taking it one day at a time and just reminding myself how far I've come from my worst vs I far I've fallen from my best. And I still like to keep the hope alive that maybe one day long-term trips will be in the cards again because who knows, shit is always changing.

But then yeah, there's also a lot of the classic want-to-change-shape-of-body stuff, too, but that feels like a more boring answer, lol.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-14-2023)

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    688 times
    Time Online
    155d 4h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Hey! I like this a lot and thanks for posting this! I have always been I to some form of sport or physical activity for as long as I can remember. After having my kiddo my body changes a lot and it took a lot of effort to try and get back to my physical self. It took a lot of energy and time. Which being a mum to a newborn I was lacking both. Finally after a few year I was about to get back into the swing of things! When covid happened and I came across Peloton it wad a great way for me.to do a variety of different workout and I loved.to bike. So I got myself a compatible bike and got to it. Sine Beach Body and P90x were too hard on my joints lol. So anyways it was great I lost weight and got stronger. But then I got bad carpal tunnel and a bad shoulder so I had to take break. Once again it was hard to get back I the saddle. Literally! It took me about a year to get back to it and get my routine going again. This time I've learnt I can't go all out like how I could when I was 20 lol. So for my.now working out it about being fit and keeping my.muscles strong for sports like softball.and volleyball so I don't get injured buy also being healthy to keep up with my.now 6 year old. I told yah it was a journey lol. I want to have good health to be around to do all the fun things with him. If the bonus is losing some weight or negating the cake I had that's a bonus. I am loving the good endorphinesit releases and I feel healthier. The biggest thing for me to come to terms with was to be kind to myself and my aging body lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-14-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    250 times
    Time Online
    101d 22h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 42m
    My goals for fitness are usually rooted in some sort of function or sport that I am hyperfixated on, cause I find it really hard to go to the gym for a more generic "get fit" goal! I used to actually compete for powerlifting, so my gym and nutrition were super dialed in to be timed with competitions. An injury took me out of that so I got super inconsistent for some time and really struggled to feel motivation for the gym after that.

These days I'm mostly interested in volleyball and am playing several times a week. I supplement with gym workouts/lifting that is more geared towards that volleyball performance now! So these days I do a lot more HIIT style workouts, jump training, and have been working on oly lifts for explosiveness. I can already tell I have better hang time for jumping, which motivates me to continue with those workouts!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Houndoom For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-14-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    6d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I live a very sedentary life. So I'm always fighting myself and forcing walks from A to B all the time. Having a fast metabolism can be a curse in disguise, at least in my experience. It makes having a "healthy weight" mask the needs to exercise and default to a mindset of "well, if I'm not overweight, why should I exercise in the first place?", which is what I struggle with and have been thorough my life.
    My goal this year is to add an additional walk before the end of the day into my routine. Right now I'm doing just one 30-35min walk but I'm starting to wonder if that's enough for how much I spend sitting at work and home.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dero For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-14-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Deroiito View Post
    I live a very sedentary life. So I'm always fighting myself and forcing walks from A to B all the time. Having a fast metabolism can be a curse in disguise, at least in my experience. It makes having a "healthy weight" mask the needs to exercise and default to a mindset of "well, if I'm not overweight, why should I exercise in the first place?", which is what I struggle with and have been thorough my life.
    My goal this year is to add an additional walk before the end of the day into my routine. Right now I'm doing just one 30-35min walk but I'm starting to wonder if that's enough for how much I spend sitting at work and home.
    This is very important so thank you for mentioning this! I think it's too easy to fall into that mindset of "I ONLY need to exercise if I'm overweight" and can see how a fast metabolism can be a curse. I remember growing up I was always a bigger kid (I liked my junk food and my body liked to keep it lol) but I remember being around so many "skinny" kids who couldn't keep up with me in certain exercises. I was always so confused by that when I was little lol. Glad to hear you're looking to move more regardless! At the end of the day, any movement helps the body. I mentioned earlier in an intro post that, in order to get my steps in quickly and in a fun way, I actually play Dance Dance Revolution on my PS2 (I got back into it during the pandemic) and it's great because I don't actually need to leave the house!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My goals are fairly long term. I'm an only child, and I have many fond memories of my mom playing with me in the yard, teaching me how to cartwheel and climb trees and such. I want to be able to do the same with my child - and maybe even my grandchildren someday. So I focus on more functional movement when working out. I also picked up a jump rope a few months ago to help heal my pelvic floor (so I would stop peeing my pants). About two weeks of jumping rope totally fixed that problem.

Most importantly, I just find a lot of fun in moving and challenging my body. It feels good and it helps a lot with my mental health as well.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    6d 11h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm a beginner lifter (around 15 months since I first stepped in a gym), so I'd say I'm in the "build more lean muscle mass and lose fat" boat too. Or to put it more generically, get to a point where I'm comfortable with how my body looks. Health has never been a priority to be honest, but it's a nice side effect and man is it rewarding when you get to see your own progress!

Lifting has taught me so much about patience, discipline and the way I control, feel and use my body in space. It has also opened my eyes in terms of how much work and effort fit people put into their day to day life lol

there i was, with my butterfly net
    trying to catch your light

(you need an account to see links)