Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soooo... Masters and doctorates, amirite?

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    333 times
    Time Online
    162d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 48m
    After working two jobs paying for myself to go through college for a year debt free (doing it all at the same time) I don't get the appeal.

But I understand it's for some people. My husband has some college debt with no degree as he changed fields but never found what he wanted to do.

All I have is Diploma and a year of college. Making 6 figures. So I think there are plenty of avenues available that don't require education.
    And some trades make more too.

But whatever you want out of life if you're doing it great! I just think it should be cheaper to do it.

Geo
    Hatched 11/14/2020

Huge thanks to (you need an account to see links)
    For the Customized Adoptable of Geo.

My gorgeous avatar was created by thee incredible
    ♡ Lyrichord ♡

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pidgey For This Useful Post:

Danny Phantom (03-13-2023)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
    After working two jobs paying for myself to go through college for a year debt free (doing it all at the same time) I don't get the appeal.

But I understand it's for some people. My husband has some college debt with no degree as he changed fields but never found what he wanted to do.

All I have is Diploma and a year of college. Making 6 figures. So I think there are plenty of avenues available that don't require education.
    And some trades make more too.

But whatever you want out of life if you're doing it great! I just think it should be cheaper to do it.
    I 100% agree! Where I live, we have government-funded universities (which makes studying there free, they also offer balanced meals at at a very low price for students, etc.) so you can get a degree w/o going into a wild debt like the norm of the US (and, when you're a postgrad like I am, you get paid to do your research, so it's pretty much a job). It's still hard to get in due to the way the entry system works, but it's way more accessible than in some other countries. There's still the cost of living on your own, but at least there's no need for college loans and whatnot. I personally decided to pursue a MSc and PhD because I'm really passionate about research and want to possibly become a professor, but getting "extra" degrees is definitely not mandatory for all fields of course.
    Amazing userbar by the talented (you need an account to see links)

P O L T E R G E I S T

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Thanks a lot! That sounds really interesting, a hybrid program seems to have a better impact on a professional environment, I think - I'm glad you got that sort of experience! Class education sounds particularly interesting. How did it go?

I'm uncertain about the cuts, but I feel like it could be the reason. I'm uncertain though, as my professor is very upfront about most things. The problem with bringing this issue to him is that I feel like I have a very different view from what's going on vs the rest of the lab, which makes me very insecure about talking about anything I've been noticing/thinking because I feel like they'd just brush it off and say I'm completely wrong and/or I'm making things up.
    The program was alright. The in class was alright. I found a lot of the lectures to be very "fluffy" and not very useful for on the job practice. The practicums/internships were very helpful and gave more hands on practice and skill development. I think the program needs more of hands on class material and practicums/internships etc and less group work. When I was in the program there was a lot of group projects and from what I hear now every assignment is a group project. Except for the thesis (I HOPE!) So yeah I feel like the program needs an overhaul in current status however when I went through it is was "OK".

I see what you're saying in regards to being brushed off. However, on the flip side it could shed light to them on your perception and it can open a discussion to get the group on the same page. If they are rude enough to brush it off and not work together as a team (as I am assuming in this lab work you are all working together on similar things) then that really doesn't help anyone out. Teamwork makes the Dream Work!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

Danny Phantom (03-13-2023)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    The program was alright. The in class was alright. I found a lot of the lectures to be very "fluffy" and not very useful for on the job practice. The practicums/internships were very helpful and gave more hands on practice and skill development. I think the program needs more of hands on class material and practicums/internships etc and less group work. When I was in the program there was a lot of group projects and from what I hear now every assignment is a group project. Except for the thesis (I HOPE!) So yeah I feel like the program needs an overhaul in current status however when I went through it is was "OK".

I see what you're saying in regards to being brushed off. However, on the flip side it could shed light to them on your perception and it can open a discussion to get the group on the same page. If they are rude enough to brush it off and not work together as a team (as I am assuming in this lab work you are all working together on similar things) then that really doesn't help anyone out. Teamwork makes the Dream Work!
    Ahh I understand, I can see how that could happen. I'm glad you got a lot from the internships though! I agree, I feel like group projects are a major issue on the education system. If done properly, sure, it has its advantages and helps on developing certain skills, but it's very unnecessary in the frequency they do it. When I was in vet grad, we had to present a final report to get our degrees - it could be a case report, an experiment, w/e. And guess what? We had to do it with a partner, which is like... wtf? I was pretty much a tamed-down version of a thesis, and still we had to do it in pairs. There are way better ways to evaluate students and get them working on the material.

Last edited by Danny Phantom; 03-13-2023 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Spoilered
    Amazing userbar by the talented (you need an account to see links)

P O L T E R G E I S T

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    687 times
    Time Online
    155d 3h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Phantom View Post
    Ahh I understand, I can see how that could happen. I'm glad you got a lot from the internships though! I agree, I feel like group projects are a major issue on the education system. If done properly, sure, it has its advantages and helps on developing certain skills, but it's very unnecessary in the frequency they do it. When I was in vet grad, we had to present a final report to get our degrees - it could be a case report, an experiment, w/e. And guess what? We had to do it with a partner, which is like... wtf? I was pretty much a tamed-down version of a thesis, and still we had to do it in pairs. There are way better ways to evaluate students and get them working on the material.

Hmm yes that is tricky. Is there any way you could bring in a non-biased 3rd party to act kind of like a moderator?

Pronouns
    she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    95/0
    Mentioned
    505 times
    Time Online
    222d 5h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Congrats on your master degree! =)
    Last month I took a master degree exam. The university I'm applying for have 3 admission steps: 1 - an exam (multiple choice and written); 2 - English proficiency certificate; 3 - MSc research project

I really wish I can join the program, but there were lotta people applying as well, so I'm a bit unsure about if I'll be accepted. Some people have been trying to get into the program for years and never scored enough.
    Anyway, I achieved a nice score in the first test and scored a C1 at iTEP. =) Now I'm waiting to see if my MSc research project will score high enough to be accepted, which is the worst part, since it's much harder than the test and there's only two vacancies for the teacher I want to help me in my research 🙃 but, honestly, scoring great in that exam was already a great accomplishment. I was studying for it for months!

I don't expect it to be easy and I have already heard about how toxic some teachers are. But it's something I want and, even if I don't get into the program, I'll try again next year, and into the next, and the next, till I get into it.

Pronouns
    She
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    404 times
    Time Online
    83d 7h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 9m

Thanks a lot for your kind words, dear! I've tobeen trying communicate better with him but I feel like I've hit a wall. He's a great professor and really helpful, but I feel like we're getting nowhere and that he doesn't really trust me or my work.

I'm really sorry you had that experience, some professors have terrible attitudes. I'm glad you were able to finish your masters despite having a shitty tutor. If you were ever to pursue a doctorate, would you be able to go to another institution to maybe avoid having to deal with him all over again? While the academic field is indeed filled with sharks, I'm sure there might be somewhere with a healthier dynamic!
    Right now I'm not near to want to continue with a Doctorate but if I ever do it I'll definitely choose another institution and think well about which tutor to work with. It was a bad experience but it also showed me that there's good incredible people out there that deserves the world!

It would be awesome something more practical for my job field too since my thesis was more simulation and experiments so a change would be welcome

I really hope things get better for you Dany, you're doing a great effort for this don't doubt it

~~ Shooting stars ~~

Many thanks to:

@(you need an account to see links) for the Wolf Ryu and @(you need an account to see links) for the Kousetsu puppy <)
    @(you need an account to see links) for my howling wolf and @(you need an account to see links) for my wolf pumpkin <3
    @(you need an account to see links) for my custom userbars and @(you need an account to see links) for the lovely popsicle/lycanroc bar ^^
    @(you need an account to see links) for my star puppy and @(you need an account to see links) for my Rockruff avatar :3

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Thanks a lot! It was a wiiiiild ride. Well, I did ask my professor a few times and he says "You're doing fine, if there's anything wrong I'll let you know" but there's always this lingering feeling I'm not doing enough and that I'm not exactly welcome there tbh. My situation with my professor is a bit... fragile? I'm not sure if this is the best word to describe it. I'm trying to understand what he expects of me and trying to communicate my needs, but I suck at communication. He's trying to help me how he can, but more often than not it ends up being harmful because we can't seem to meet halfway and understand each other. I also feel like the way he's treating me vs the other students is vastly different, to the point that he barely even talks to me at the lab. I may be wrong here, but I always have the feeling that something is off. He used to treat me in a very different way, and actually seemed to trust me. We do have an accessibility team available for the entire university, but they're known to ignore the needs of autistic people specifically (to the point where a girl sued them because they refused to allow her to enroll in the accessibility program they have on because she has lower support needs and "was not autistic enough to benefit from the program"), so I don't think they'd be of much help.

That's so frustrating, you can't actually learn and improve if they aren't giving you actional feedback, but it's rough when communication is struggling. That story is absolutely wild, though, you would hope that would have prompted them to improve their processes/resources, but man. For real, though, I wish I had advice, feeling othered like that is such a shitty thing. <3

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    937 times
    Time Online
    116d 6h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Oh my god congrats girl!!!!!!!! You really busted ass so hard all these years I'm so proud of you 😭😭😭 that is so amazing and I'm so happy for you ahhh doctor!!! 🥺💙 a few of my friends have done their masters and other post grad stuff but I feel like it really depends on the field you want to be in. For you, it might be worth it since it seems like those titles hold more weight/usefulness?? I definitely have friends with some "useless" postgrad accolades that are unrelated to what they work in now, so it's definitely an important decision to make time/money investment-wise. But since your field is a lot more specific to your interests if you can keep going, it might be beneficial! If your colleagues (especially any older ones with experience) shed light on how useful they are within your field, that would be good intel too.