DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    684 times
    Time Online
    215d 11h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m
    @(you need an account to see links) Thank you for posting and reminding me I was going to write about it!!

I started this book in a waiting room a few weeks back, and am finally returning to it! First of all, having recently read Paolini's other recent book, To Sleep in a Sky of Stars (I recommend to sci-fi/sci-fi curious people) - it's so funny seeing the tie-ins since even though they are written about totally different universes. There are some clear allusions and it's great.

I think the one thing that I've noticed that's bugging me to most, compared to TSIASOS, is how Murtagh's personality is described, so consistently, and spelled out. I get it, he's an angsty young man who's been through the absolutely unlivable and lived to tell the tale, but I don't need as much repeat on it. I I'm about 1/2 way through the book now so I'll see if this changes. Plot wise, it's looking to be pretty interesting!

For those curious, as of the 1/2 way point, Eragon and Saphira and Arya are only mentioned - this seems to be Murtagh's personal quest.

I'll report back when I've finished the book!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Kisses (12-29-2023),♥ Shinx ♥ (12-26-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    684 times
    Time Online
    215d 11h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 33m
    Well, I finished the book. Rest assured, the Eragon/Saphira/Arya group are only mentioned or have only a trivial role at the very end.

The first half of the book covered about 3 locations, similar to Paolini's To Sleep in a Sky of Stars (TSiaSoS), which covers about 5 or 6 areas. The second half of Murtagh is all at the same camp. If you like horror and don't mind violence, maybe you won't have as bad a time of it, but it's this crazy witch camp, and the battle, once you get to it, takes absolute ages. Not my cup of tea, nor were the nightmares I got from reading it. I am quite sensitive to these things and am guarded about what I watch/read, but normally they don't infiltrate my dreams! +1 to Paolini's writing, 0 for Lyrichord. Anyway, for that reason alone I don't recommend the book, but others might not be as bothered.

Speaking of nightmares, the nightmare creatures from TSiaSoS are 100% in Alagaësia or visited at one point. At least something interesting came from the book?

I'm editing this to add, while the book concludes where the mystery items are from, and their source, the true source is not the battle in this book. I fully expect there will be more novels in the series, the next probably being where everyone joins up. In the appendix Paolini writes that this is not the true "book 5" of the Inheritance Cycle, and I agree: it's more of Murtagh's side-quests, notable as they are. At least his character is fully fleshed out by the end of the book!

Hopes for my next sci-fi book: more exploring, less violence!
    Last edited by Lyrichord; 12-29-2023 at 06:43 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Kisses (12-29-2023),♥ Shinx ♥ (12-29-2023)