Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like most of your job?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    4d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

I've been with this company for a combined total of 3.5 years now, 2.5 the first time and I just started back last year for the second time. Some days it is very difficult to find the good things about the job, but all in all it's not a bad, I think I just like to complain. I work in LTC as a nurse, and I've worked in several other areas of the medical field as well.

- I adore my coworkers. There aren't a ton who have been there long term, but the ones who stick it out make it worth it. We've gotten some people hired who have renewed my hope for the companys future.

- The residents! I could not stress this enough, I would say they are the reason I decided to go back. A lot of them change over the years, either passing or health changes, but they all have their own quirks that make you adore them. It's almost like working with middle schoolers somedays, but it could be worse. It's difficult to see them at the end though, but at least you know you made an impact on their life.

- My hours. They aren't for everyone but I have a fairly set schedue and don't have to stay over too terribly often. I can work the days I signed up for when I was hired and nothing else, or I can pick up whatever days I want and get a little overtime.

I'm trying to pick the right time to go back to school so I can move up the chain a little bit, for the most part, my current schedule would work well with that goal too. I just haven't made myself go back yet...I need though T.T

Thank you for this thread, it's really difficult to remember the good about the job on the bad days. I won't lie, there is A LOT of shitty stuff about my job, BUT we have a true team and are working together to improve things. Hopfully I'll have more positives than negatives in the future!

“Im a Potato,”

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    76 times
    Time Online
    52d 19h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I recently got a new job after being out of one for nearly a year and trying to get back into the swing of things was definitely rough.
    After the first week I personally felt like it wasn't for me even though I've been in the boba industry for over 4 years.
    Couldn't quite be sure if it was the long commute that was getting to me or what, but I spoke with my boss about that the job wasn't for me and I felt very overwhelmed on my first day.
    After that talk, my boss pulled me aside and apologized for making me feel overwhelmed.

So with that backstory, what I love about my job is how much the 'higher ups' actually care about their employees.
    After the initial week of working there, I got accustomed to the drive, and got used to the flow of working again.

In my previous positions I've always been one to 'go the extra mile', not take breaks and work through them, take late lunches, stay longer than what I'm scheduled, pull other peoples weight, bite my tongue and keep my mouth shut, not speak up when I'm feeling overwhelmed, etc.
    So with this new job, the 'script' feels flipped and I'm actually enjoying going to work.

Thank you for this thread, it's very easy to see all the negatives when it comes to a job position, so taking a step back to look more at the positives really puts you in a position to look at it in a different perspective.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthbass View Post
    I basically choose my hours
    I basically choose my pay rate
    I don't have to leave my cave

I don't make a lot but I'm happy.
    Cool! It's nice to have that flexibility for sure. I'm not very money-motivated beyond what I need to survive so I definitely hope in the future I can have a job where I can be at home more. I thrived so well during the pandemic being fully remote lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arabella View Post
    I also work at a University but on the accounting side of it. I really enjoy the flexibility and laid back environment in my department (I work in the video game development program). Seeing students create video games and progress into jobs at major video game studios (Blizzard, Nintendo, Riot, etc) is one of my favorite parts, and just seeing the games they create, the fantastic art, and the amazing programming. My part in it is just a lot of budgets and numbers, but I also get to help with tuition assistance and scholarships for students, also rewarding. I also assist our faculty with their research proposals and budgets for those, which can be stressful but also great when they get grants awarded for research they are passionate about.
    I can totally relate! I'm IT support for the Environmental Science department, but seeing undergrads, grads, post-docs, faculty, etc. get super jazzed about their work/research is really cool. I do remote support for a lot of them who are out n about in the world and I like to chat them up a bit to hear more. One prof was out on the field in the forest areas of Southern California to do prescribed burns on the dry brush to prevent wildfires and he's literally out there with the forestry/fire dept and a blowtorch lol. I just thought it was so cool.
    Yeah I hear a lot from our contracts/finance team about how stressful that work can be! They move a lot of money and work with large orgs like Dept of Defense/Justice/Energy so I can only imagine what the stress is like in peak times like fiscal year end etc. Luckily there's lots of positive things about your job too!

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    I just recently shifted departments at my company and right now my favorite parts of the job are the fact I don't have to talk on the phones anymore and my boss.

My last department was extremely toxic and my boss used fear mongering as a tactic to get me to work harder. It really caused unnecessary emotional stress. My new boss communicates calmly and fully with me and is very understanding when I ask questions spurned by my anxiety. She reassures me and lets me know I'm doing great. It's really nice.

I also am no longer on phone duty, so the only people I talk to are my coworkers, and occasionally a doctor if I have to make the call!
    UB Courtesy of: @Munna

Credit for the beautiful signature to: (you need an account to see links)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (03-10-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    Cool! It's nice to have that flexibility for sure. I'm not very money-motivated beyond what I need to survive so I definitely hope in the future I can have a job where I can be at home more. I thrived so well during the pandemic being fully remote lol.
    I would like to make more money. But I like freelancing way too much to ever commit to anything else again. Plus in my line of work? I get cheap video game consoles as long as I fix them myself.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (03-10-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 times
    Time Online
    3d 3h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm working in research right now, and honestly I love getting to hear people talk about the things that are important to them! The current project involves a lot of focus groups and interviews, and I really look forward to the days where I get to sit in a room, drink a coffee with someone, and just soak up what they feel is important about their experience.

♡ Signature by me ♡
    ♡ Custom userbar/avvie by Lyrichord ♡

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harpy For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (03-10-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    8d 22h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I love animals! As an ex vet tech student, now biology, I've worked with animals a lot the past 15 years.
    I currently volunteer at an exotic animal shelter until I have to do an internship. I'm considering specializing in genetics , or devote my live to help endangered species.
    It's a dream job! But I'm very happy with my current job too

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ugly For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (03-10-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 20h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I'm working as a conveyancer, what I enjoy the most is that it's a desk job in a quiet office.
    It's also kind of fun learning about different areas of law, like contract, property and tort law. But legal studies are lame.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Solitaire For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (03-10-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    I used to work in a marketing agency and what I liked about my job was being in line with current trends all the time. But that also meant always having to consume social media, see what's happening in the online space, etc.

It was tiring, but at least it was fun and I think it kept me young mentally.

Now that I've gone freelance for a bit, I'm still making use of some of my marketing skills for my own work and it's still relatively fun.

Not too sure if I'll go back into the marketing agency space, but probably something along the lines in future.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (03-10-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her and he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    73 times
    Time Online
    12d 1h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    I work in the hotel industry, and I absolutely love it. People in hospitality are so friendly, and everyone works together to create harmony (at least at my property). I also love travelling, so getting hotel discounts is also a big plus.
    FORMERLY SKATE_D3

Amazing userbar by Lyrichord and GreyFaerie!