Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like most of your job?

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    wonderful idea for a thread!!

I work with the government... what i like the most:

all employees get free schooling, we get paid training as well to do our physical and technical jobs

we have a long long lunch hour. 1.5 lol its pretty great

we have a gym, restaurant, pool and art exhibit on site.

we get a little under paid but the atmosphere and work is too easy.

i love it here...

thanks for posting!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-05-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I like how much they pay me tbh lol. I work two remote IT security jobs - and the pay really does it for me.

Other than that obvious one, I like how flexible and easy to work with everyone is. We have a weekly meeting to take a deep dive into different tools, but my director took it a different way a few weeks ago. He took 90mins to ask about our mental health and how we are balancing things. Asked if we take time to get lunch, get water, go for a walk on nice days, etc. That really hit home because my last job was the exact opposite and I felt like the upper management didn’t care whatsoever. So I plan on sticking here for awhile and learning as much as I can from this fantastic team! It makes me want to work harder and push my knowledge knowing management really has my back and best interests in mind. That’s a great feeing.
    Hey that's a good thing to like lol. We all gotta eat, after all haha. That's good to hear tho! It's something that made me become apathetic from my old job because our management was so disconnected from staff and then scratched their heads as to why the employee satisfaction surveys had such low results lol. I worked fully remote for about 2 years before coming back into the office and I appreciate that, even tho I'm physically in the office, my manager still encourages taking breaks and reminds my team on how we shouldn't be working harder than what we're paid to do.
    Also, I'm actually trying to get into IT security so I might have to hit you up and ask questions lol. I currently work as a systems administrator and am being mentored by my workplace's CISO so I'm considering applying for an IT security analyst position at my place of work, but also kind of don't want to since I feel I'm still too new (about 6 months in my current role).

Do you find it easy to manage your time between 2 jobs?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lint For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (03-04-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    Hey that's a good thing to like lol. We all gotta eat, after all haha. That's good to hear tho! It's something that made me become apathetic from my old job because our management was so disconnected from staff and then scratched their heads as to why the employee satisfaction surveys had such low results lol. I worked fully remote for about 2 years before coming back into the office and I appreciate that, even tho I'm physically in the office, my manager still encourages taking breaks and reminds my team on how we shouldn't be working harder than what we're paid to do.
    Also, I'm actually trying to get into IT security so I might have to hit you up and ask questions lol. I currently work as a systems administrator and am being mentored by my workplace's CISO so I'm considering applying for an IT security analyst position at my place of work, but also kind of don't want to since I feel I'm still too new (about 6 months in my current role).

Do you find it easy to manage your time between 2 jobs?
    Hit me up if you want some pointers on where to focus your attention and/or certifications that will definitely get your foot in the door and help you land a security gig. Having that mentor is definitely an excellent foot in the door already though! I’ve been lucky where I was the youngest one at my last spot - so they all kind of mentored me and showed me things different teams were doing. It’s really a social game. Who ya know, how you interact. I ran the fantasy league, Super Bowl pools, March madness brackets. I liked being that guy for the office, boost moral and build those relationships.

Juggling two jobs was pretty simple. It was only complicated a bit when my daughter was born. She’s 8 weeks old now, so I’ve got my schedule, and hers, down pretty well. I’m a lead in one job and a senior position in the other - so I have some say in when meetings happen so I make sure there aren’t conflicts. If there are, I use my headset for one and my anker conference speaker for the other. Always mute lol. It’s really not too bad and I was considering a this, but I’m running out of space on my desks at home.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

6. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-05-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

all employees get free schooling, we get paid training as well to do our physical and technical jobs

i love it here...

thanks for posting!
    Wow an art exhibit on site?!?! That's so cool!! A lot of what you listed is what makes me happy to work for the public sector. I work at a university and, we don't get a gym for free, but they offer fitness classes at lunch or after work sometimes and there's a lot of cool events at the university that staff get to do like a tour of a winery because the university is big on agriculture (and we're in northern California so it's a big deal). The emphasis on education is also something I love because I love to be able to continue to learn and better myself so having the institution support us is great. We don't get totally free schooling, but staff can get a 2/3 tuition discount to take grad programs which is cool in case you wanna get a Masters or PhD. I have a friend currently working on her PhD while working a full time job at the uni and I just think having that opportunity is so cool. I agree with you as well, that, we're under paid compared to the private sector, but we do get lots of perks and I really like the stability and atmosphere of the public sector. Thank you for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Hit me up if you want some pointers on where to focus your attention and/or certifications that will definitely get your foot in the door and help you land a security gig. Having that mentor is definitely an excellent foot in the door already though! I’ve been lucky where I was the youngest one at my last spot - so they all kind of mentored me and showed me things different teams were doing. It’s really a social game. Who ya know, how you interact. I ran the fantasy league, Super Bowl pools, March madness brackets. I liked being that guy for the office, boost moral and build those relationships.

Juggling two jobs was pretty simple. It was only complicated a bit when my daughter was born. She’s 8 weeks old now, so I’ve got my schedule, and hers, down pretty well. I’m a lead in one job and a senior position in the other - so I have some say in when meetings happen so I make sure there aren’t conflicts. If there are, I use my headset for one and my anker conference speaker for the other. Always mute lol. It’s really not too bad and I was considering a this, but I’m running out of space on my desks at home.
    Thanks! I'm going to definitely hit you up! Definitely need guidance on the certifications because I feel like there's a lot of conflicting info on how much they matter and what not.

Tbh, that's really badass tho to be at a senior/lead level on both jobs. My friend was doing a similar thing where he worked his 2nd job after he put his kids to bed and it got me to thinking about getting a 2nd job. I have the free time since I don't have any other commitments except from my main job, but I'm just not sure about the process since I could only work off hours/after business hours. Also, yes that double meeting life lol. It's nice to be on mute on the meetings vs earlier in the pandemic when everyone wanted cameras on and mics on....at least where I worked anyway.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    Thanks! I'm going to definitely hit you up! Definitely need guidance on the certifications because I feel like there's a lot of conflicting info on how much they matter and what not.

Tbh, that's really badass tho to be at a senior/lead level on both jobs. My friend was doing a similar thing where he worked his 2nd job after he put his kids to bed and it got me to thinking about getting a 2nd job. I have the free time since I don't have any other commitments except from my main job, but I'm just not sure about the process since I could only work off hours/after business hours. Also, yes that double meeting life lol. It's nice to be on mute on the meetings vs earlier in the pandemic when everyone wanted cameras on and mics on....at least where I worked anyway.
    I worked for the govt during the pandemic, so our laptops didnt even have cameras or mics - it was a beautiful thing lol
    In one jobs, my first week I had a sync call with my director. All the interviews were cameras on and all that. On our sync, he had to shuffle around his desk because he said he kept his laptop closed and didn't bother with the cam. The other job... they were pushing cams on for awhile, but as my tiny team branched off and did our own thing, we stopped with the cams because nobody wanted it. Makes it even better!

If you aren't already working remotely full time, a second job would be incredibly tough imo. It could definitely be done, after hours, but you might work yourself to death. You'd literally be working or sleeping, and that's a surefire way to get burnt out. I could never do two jobs unless I worked them simultaneously. No shot! Maybe you'd be able to manage it, but I know I couldn't

There will always be mixed opinions on certs. It really depends on how each individual manager/hiring manager perceives them. Some people want a bachelors degree at minimum, and then certs are a bonus. Some people want so many certs for a mid level position that I'm not sure if they are living in a dream world or just so out of touch with the position they are hiring for. It really comes down to knowing what you're worth, what is a reasonable expectation, and being confident in your abilities to perform the task. The best cert, in my opinion, to get for the security track is Security+ from CompTIA. It opens a lot of doors, including govt sector as that's the minimum you need for that work.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

i love it here...

thanks for posting!

Wait, is this the U.S. Gov? If so, what agency?? I'd love to transfer lmao

Currently I'm working/interning with the USDA-ARS (Ag. Research Service) and although I'm not passionate about the current research topics, the people who work at the station are genuine and one of the big factors for keeping me there at the moment.

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mawb View Post
    Wait, is this the U.S. Gov? If so, what agency?? I'd love to transfer lmao

Currently I'm working/interning with the USDA-ARS (Ag. Research Service) and although I'm not passionate about the current research topics, the people who work at the station are genuine and one of the big factors for keeping me there at the moment.
    @(you need an account to see links) i work with the government not exactly for them. were part of the dept of energy research. id be happy to message you <3
    @(you need an account to see links) we still gotta pay for our health and fitness classes. we have options to do free ones but they dont really have a long period. Thats so awesome good for your friend <3 if you have an associates or are going for associates its all expenses paid.. so technically you dont have to "finish" school and constantly change majors as long as it pertains to our work lol

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    76d 1h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    42m
    I basically choose my hours
    I basically choose my pay rate
    I don't have to leave my cave

I don't make a lot but I'm happy.

userbar: Charmander

Roland SP-55 by: Honeycomb
    My contributions:
    (you need an account to see links)
    by: hearts
    Ryu art by dankRUSE

Chegg

by: Rattata

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Synth Salazzle For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-09-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    48d 20h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I also work at a University but on the accounting side of it. I really enjoy the flexibility and laid back environment in my department (I work in the video game development program). Seeing students create video games and progress into jobs at major video game studios (Blizzard, Nintendo, Riot, etc) is one of my favorite parts, and just seeing the games they create, the fantastic art, and the amazing programming. My part in it is just a lot of budgets and numbers, but I also get to help with tuition assistance and scholarships for students, also rewarding. I also assist our faculty with their research proposals and budgets for those, which can be stressful but also great when they get grants awarded for research they are passionate about.
    Last edited by Arabella; 03-05-2023 at 11:51 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arabella For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-07-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    56d 4h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I work at a warehouse. I do around 40+ hours a week and this is what I love about it:

-Stable hours with lots of opportunity for overtime. Basically 8 hours a day, weekends are always off but some are open to optional work. Nice if you want extra hours or overtime.
    -I'm left to my own devices. I work solo and only have to deal with my direct manager and even then that's rare.
    -My success doesn't depend on others. Don't have to worry about sales, numbers, metrics, goals, etc. If somebody isn't pulling their weight then that's on THEM.
    -It's a nice place with a good vibe. Nothing labor intensive, but there's a lot of walking/being on my feet all day. I like being active.
    -Even though it's a warehouse, it's pretty quiet and all you really hear is the hum of the machinery. Sometimes we put music.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiore For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-09-2023)