Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you like most of your job?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I love what everyone has been posting! Glad to see there's so many good things about the jobs/fields you're in and a lot of people genuinely like their jobs!! I feel like when I ask this question irl, a lot of people will be really sarcastic about it as if a job is not meant to have enjoyable aspects and you're supposed to hate it. Very cool to read more about what people do too

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Ahh I love this thread. It's great for some wholesomeness, haha!

What I love the most about my "job" (I'm technically a postgrad student, but we take third party exams to diagnose and I get paid to do my research/the diagnosis, so I always refer to as it my job to simplify ) is that I get to help other vets to come to a conclusion on the cause of certain infections (and how pretty bacteria are, lol!). I also love to see that my work actually matters when looking at the big picture, it makes me feel a bit more seen and validated (as the research field can be kinda brutal and makes you feel worthless). My research specifically is on antimicrobial resistance of C. difficile, which is a hospital-related disease, and you guys better believe me when I say that multidrug resistant bacteria is a VERY real thing and it's a really big issue. Most people know it's there but a big chunk of the population doesn't really grasp what that really means. Take it from someone who's been doing susceptibility testing of Salmonella, Staphylococcus, E. coli, Proteus, C. difficile and a few other bacteria as part of the routine of the lab, things are getting hairy. If I'm not mistaken, WHO predicted that multi-resistant bacterial infections will be the leading cause of deaths by 2050. I went on a tangent there but HEY LOOK PRETTY BACTERIA:

(if anyone's curious, that's E. coli in two different mediums for gram-negative enteric bacteria, MacConkey and Hektoen respectivelly).
    Amazing userbar by the talented (you need an account to see links)

P O L T E R G E I S T

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny Phantom For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-20-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    6d 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    At the moment I'm working in the hydroponic field, taking care of Lactuca sativa specimens and testing different water characteristics and specifications in order to have the plant grow at its best with the least amount of resourced used.
    As odd as it sounds, I like the peace and quiet that comes with working with plants. You just mind your own business and run tests, change water, do some math, check for any changes that need to be addressed and then go home and read and educate yourself more on the topic.
    I can see how to some it sounds boring but I like how quiet and calm it is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dero For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-20-2023)

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I cant really say what is my job about cuz is pretty much in the open. Is really linked to me as a person, but the thing about my job is not the job itself, is the place were im working. I dont earn that much as a junior but this office is so familiar, so wholesome, so friendly i really dont mind even overworking to avoid being home. I need to earn more and for that im looking for a better job offer but if not for that i would love to give my all to this local company i really love it here. I feel like all i suffered in college was worth it to end up here (i work on what i study, because the college gave me the contact to end up here and so i did.)

Maybe not worth it cuz i had it pretty rough in college but i dont mind where i end up it has been really good to my mental health being in a HEALTHY enviroment finally

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peppercorn For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-20-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    2d 13h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Honestly, I've been in my field for so long and worked really hard to get where I am.
    It gives me the advantage that there is not much that I havn't seen or can't work my way around.
    I still earn really good money and I am still climbing the corporate ladder but now I can delegate which means most of my days are not very stressful or busy.
    Works really well for me with a young family.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to H3nry For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-20-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Phantom View Post
    Ahh I love this thread. It's great for some wholesomeness, haha!

What I love the most about my "job" (I'm technically a postgrad student, but we take third party exams to diagnose and I get paid to do my research/the diagnosis, so I always refer to as it my job to simplify ) is that I get to help other vets to come to a conclusion on the cause of certain infections (and how pretty bacteria are, lol!). I also love to see that my work actually matters when looking at the big picture, it makes me feel a bit more seen and validated (as the research field can be kinda brutal and makes you feel worthless). My research specifically is on antimicrobial resistance of C. difficile, which is a hospital-related disease, and you guys better believe me when I say that multidrug resistant bacteria is a VERY real thing and it's a really big issue. Most people know it's there but a big chunk of the population doesn't really grasp what that really means. Take it from someone who's been doing susceptibility testing of Salmonella, Staphylococcus, E. coli, Proteus, C. difficile and a few other bacteria as part of the routine of the lab, things are getting hairy. If I'm not mistaken, WHO predicted that multi-resistant bacterial infections will be the leading cause of deaths by 2050. I went on a tangent there but HEY LOOK PRETTY BACTERIA:

(if anyone's curious, that's E. coli in two different mediums for gram-negative enteric bacteria, MacConkey and Hektoen respectivelly).
    Love this!! I work at a university in IT and my office is near a bunch of labs and I'm always oh so curious about what research is being done. When I pop into professor's offices to fix computers, I spend some extra time just looking at the books they have to get an idea more about the research they do. I love how specific/niche their fields are because I'd like to know the story as to why this prof decided to go down this path of being an expert on wetlands ecology lol. That's super cool and important work too! Thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dero View Post
    At the moment I'm working in the hydroponic field, taking care of Lactuca sativa specimens and testing different water characteristics and specifications in order to have the plant grow at its best with the least amount of resourced used.
    As odd as it sounds, I like the peace and quiet that comes with working with plants. You just mind your own business and run tests, change water, do some math, check for any changes that need to be addressed and then go home and read and educate yourself more on the topic.
    I can see how to some it sounds boring but I like how quiet and calm it is.
    I work near the Plant Sciences building and love seeing posters of stuff they research like mostly fruit/produce research and they often do taste studies where they ask people to taste fruit from a harvest. I wonder if this is part their research and work too! Your job sounds quite interesting and fun! I love having work where it's quiet and self-directed. I work with computers (not as fun as plants), so I especially like the work that allows me to have the same peace n quiet. This is usually going into an empty quiet computer lab and fixing/replacing hardware.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I really love being able to work with youth and empower them to live their lives by their own means. I have a dual role at my place of work, so I work with youth and adults who receive mental health services. The coolest part about one of my roles is being able to take my lived experience and use it for good. We out here helping people realize their worth C:

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    90 times
    Time Online
    6d 8h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by pitpat View Post
    I really love being able to work with youth and empower them to live their lives by their own means. I have a dual role at my place of work, so I work with youth and adults who receive mental health services. The coolest part about one of my roles is being able to take my lived experience and use it for good. We out here helping people realize their worth C:
    Awesome!! These kinds of jobs are so important and undervalued I feel like. Even in my previous role where I wasn't by any means in a sort of counseling role (more like program coordinator), I found it amazing how much it meant to people to just go the lil bit extra to help them or just listen to them vent a bit. Like, sometimes that's all people need.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    older thread, but was interesting to read everyones experiences.
    I am an anaesthetic and PACU nurse, working in a busy trauma hospital.

i love working with critical ill patients, and get to see and experience some pretty intense and cool things.
    i get a good mix of clinical and technical roles in my work, breaking up the monotony of work for sure.

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    96 times
    Time Online
    12d 12h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m
    I am not working at the moment, as I am a grad student studying computer science. But so far, my favorite jobs were working at Cedar Point as a ride operator and working as an armed guard at the courthouses and hospitals!

Cedar Point was the best because my ID got me in to any Cedar Fair park for free and I could go ride rides after work if I had an opening shift.

I loved the drama of working in the hospitals and courthouses!

Huge shoutout to (you need an account to see links) for my amazing Custom UB!

Huge shout out to (you need an account to see links)for my amazing Thirteen siggie graphic!

Rebel the Otter and her little friend, Jinxy the teddy bear, was drawn by (you need an account to see links)! Thank you so much for this perfect vision of my emo otter!