Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you like most of your job?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    92 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

What do you like most of your job?

I've been on LinkedIn a lot and been seeing a bunch of negative job related posts so I'd like to see something more positive!! So, what do you like most about your job?

I'll go first! I work in managing university computers and tech for an academic unit and I love working with faculty to update their computers, install stuff, troubleshoot etc. because I get to learn a little bit about their research and work. It's especially interesting to me because my department is the environmental science AU and I love animals and nature shows, so, I find it particularly cool to see pictures of professors "on the field" or just hear about what they do. One prof is big on bird research and he also takes like National Geographic kinds of pictures of animals.
    Last edited by lint; 03-03-2023 at 06:52 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lint For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (03-04-2023),kittyray (03-03-2023),Nattiee (03-03-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,160 times
    Time Online
    555d 11h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    oooh, I like this idea for a thread. I'm currently unemployed and my last job sucked every ounce of joy I had left in my soul out of me, so I've been really trying to prioritize jobs where I'll feel like some good is coming of it for my next role. That said, I had one of the kindest, most supportive managers I ever could have hoped for. She is the only reason I survived there as long as I did, and she fought for me when they tried to screw me over as I was exiting.

I've mention in the past that I work(ed) in ~Big Tech~ and some aspects of working at such a massive company were really cool. In some ways it was akin to living in a big city, where there were just so many different kinds of people if you knew where to look. I didn't form any meaningful connections, but there was always interesting stuff to be found in the off-topic slack channels or third party communities. Even now community has sprung up around everybody hit by layoffs or managed out through performance plans. It also meant/means, somewhat unfortunately, that I never felt alone in my struggles there.
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Ferengi (03-10-2023),♥ lint ♥ (03-03-2023),Uma (05-30-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    92 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyray View Post
    oooh, I like this idea for a thread. I'm currently unemployed and my last job sucked every ounce of joy I had left in my soul out of me, so I've been really trying to prioritize jobs where I'll feel like some good is coming of it for my next role. That said, I had one of the kindest, most supportive managers I ever could have hoped for. She is the only reason I survived there as long as I did, and she fought for me when they tried to screw me over as I was exiting.

I've mention in the past that I work(ed) in ~Big Tech~ and some aspects of working at such a massive company were really cool. In some ways it was akin to living in a big city, where there were just so many different kinds of people if you knew where to look. I didn't form any meaningful connections, but there was always interesting stuff to be found in the off-topic slack channels or third party communities. Even now community has sprung up around everybody hit by layoffs or managed out through performance plans. It also meant/means, somewhat unfortunately, that I never felt alone in my struggles there.
    Yeah the massive layoffs in private tech companies has been, in particular, the negative news I was referring to =/

I work in the public sector and what you said about "living in a big city" is true for us as well!.....assuming the university/public sector unit is big. We also have lots of off topic slack channels so I've had fun looking at people's pets or what places they recommend to eat. I would recommend looking into working in the public sector! At the university that I work, we get to do a lot of fun free events for staff or get free stuff. My school is one of the biggest Ag schools in the United States/world so there's a lot of cool things we can tour/learn about related to that like a dairy farm, vineyard, or beekeeping area. The student mental health org also brings sheep in to graze on campus during finals and they were posted outside my building and just had a sheep watching break lol.

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,160 times
    Time Online
    555d 11h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    Quote Originally Posted by lint View Post
    Yeah the massive layoffs in private tech companies has been, in particular, the negative news I was referring to =/

I work in the public sector and what you said about "living in a big city" is true for us as well!.....assuming the university/public sector unit is big. We also have lots of off topic slack channels so I've had fun looking at people's pets or what places they recommend to eat. I would recommend looking into working in the public sector! At the university that I work, we get to do a lot of fun free events for staff or get free stuff. My school is one of the biggest Ag schools in the United States/world so there's a lot of cool things we can tour/learn about related to that like a dairy farm, vineyard, or beekeeping area. The student mental health org also brings sheep in to graze on campus during finals and they were posted outside my building and just had a sheep watching break lol.
    Ack, sorry for bringing up the negative thing that inspired this!

That's really cool, though. At this point I'm pretty open minded to anything as long as I feel like I'm contributing to something positive in the world. I worked in education in the past, so that's definitely a possibility for the future. Also, that's super cute with the sheep! Pre-pandemic there was this one company I loved that was in rural are and had goats and stuff nearby, but now it's mostly remote unless you work on hardware.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    27m
    I am a mental health therapist and what I like most is helping people. It gives me a lot of purpose to see people go from where they first came in to see me and completely change for the better. Just yesterday I had an adult client cry in relief because I am doing trauma therapy with him. It's not easy work listening to what people go through but since I was little all I wanted to do was help others.

Thieves
    What's yours is mine.
    What's mine is also mine.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Cookie For This Useful Post:

Autobot (03-28-2023),kittyray (03-04-2023),♥ lint ♥ (03-04-2023),Tika (03-06-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    92 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Cookie View Post
    I am a mental health therapist and what I like most is helping people. It gives me a lot of purpose to see people go from where they first came in to see me and completely change for the better. Just yesterday I had an adult client cry in relief because I am doing trauma therapy with him. It's not easy work listening to what people go through but since I was little all I wanted to do was help others.
    Wow! That's gotta be a really tough job!! When I work with students just dealing with administrative issues, I get stressed if I can't help resolve their issues, so I can't imagine dealing with these types of issues. Very admirable that you do this very important work!!

Pronouns
    🫎🦫🍁🏒 she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    702 times
    Time Online
    156d 11h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 28m
    I work in a very specialized area in acute care rehabilitation. What I love most about my job is being able to help my patients regain their independence and function to be able to return to their daily lives. I also love being able to follow my patients for a very long time. I get to see them at the worse and help them through that time to be able to get back to life even if in a modified fashion. I also really enjoy being able to follow them for such a long time as I get to build special bonds with each patient.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Charmander For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-04-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    705 times
    Time Online
    83d 12h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I really enjoy being able to see and shape the young minds of the future. The relationships, skills, and experiences I have and create with these children is very meaningful to me. When I come into the classrooms in the morning, the children all run up to me, literally bouncing and hugging my legs. They are so happy. It makes me happy!
    One of my more difficult children told me he thinks I am the best teacher and his favourite and that he loves me. For him, that is a big thing to say. He struggles with social relationships and regulating his emotions and behaviors. So small things like that, are huge to me.

I also have a really great team of staff I lead, and a great senior management team as well. I am quite fortunate in that aspect.

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-04-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    92 times
    Time Online
    6d 9h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
    I work in a very specialized area in acute care rehabilitation. What I love most about my job is being able to help my patients regain their independence and function to be able to return to their daily lives. I also love being able to follow my patients for a very long time. I get to see them at the worse and help them through that time to be able to get back to life even if in a modified fashion. I also really enjoy being able to follow them for such a long time as I get to build special bonds with each patient.
    Wow this is awesome! The idea of building bonds with patients to monitor their progress is very nice to read. I'm terrified of hospitals and avoid going to the doctor (or any medical institution tbh) at all costs. Part of that fear is the assumption that medical professionals don't get to know patients to work better with them. In my mind, I figure that staff see so many people over time that how could they possibly develop a relationship with their patient to make them feel more comfortable and trusting. You're doing great work! Thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    I really enjoy being able to see and shape the young minds of the future. The relationships, skills, and experiences I have and create with these children is very meaningful to me. When I come into the classrooms in the morning, the children all run up to me, literally bouncing and hugging my legs. They are so happy. It makes me happy!
    One of my more difficult children told me he thinks I am the best teacher and his favourite and that he loves me. For him, that is a big thing to say. He struggles with social relationships and regulating his emotions and behaviors. So small things like that, are huge to me.

I also have a really great team of staff I lead, and a great senior management team as well. I am quite fortunate in that aspect.
    Awesome! I used to work in a temporary role with pre-schoolers who had Autism and I had a similar experience where the most "difficult" student (not for being rude or anything, just higher energy, older, and physically larger than the other students) would be really nice at times and hug me and the other staff. I used to think I was the kind of person who "doesn't like kids", but working with these particular kids changed that for me. Thank you for sharing!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 16h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    I like how much they pay me tbh lol. I work two remote IT security jobs - and the pay really does it for me.

Other than that obvious one, I like how flexible and easy to work with everyone is. We have a weekly meeting to take a deep dive into different tools, but my director took it a different way a few weeks ago. He took 90mins to ask about our mental health and how we are balancing things. Asked if we take time to get lunch, get water, go for a walk on nice days, etc. That really hit home because my last job was the exact opposite and I felt like the upper management didn’t care whatsoever. So I plan on sticking here for awhile and learning as much as I can from this fantastic team! It makes me want to work harder and push my knowledge knowing management really has my back and best interests in mind. That’s a great feeing.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

16. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

♥ lint ♥ (03-04-2023)