Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else love reading, but struggle to complete a book?

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    4d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Does anyone else love reading, but struggle to complete a book?

I love to read, and before becoming an adult I read all the time, day and night, sometimes two books in a day. Now I find it hard to not only find time to read but stay focused on what I'm reading. I've got at least a dozen books on the shelf that are untouched or partially read. I've tried a different variety and setting specific times for reading but it's difficult for me still.

Has anyone had luck with audio books? I love listening to suspense story podcasts, but they are 30 minutes or less and different stories, I normally listen to them on my way home from work. I worry about me zoning out but that still an hour round trip to work I could be 'reading'.

Anyway, I'm sorry I'm so long winded!!

“Im a Potato,”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tater For This Useful Post:

Dasvidaniya (03-01-2023),Menine (03-01-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    16d 10h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    This is a constant struggle for me xD Sometimes I like a book and want to read it, but for some reason just can't focus when I actually have the time to sit down and read!

I pretty much have switched from reading physical books to audiobooks in the past couple years! It's a much more digestible way to get through books, if you have trouble focusing. I listen mostly when I'm doing something that I have to be awake for, but don't have to focus on, like driving, showering, cooking, etc. My best sources for free books are Libby and Hoopla, which are apps that give you free access to books through your library card! On Libby, you can borrow them for X amount of time (I think it's determined by your library, mine does 14 days per borrow cycle) and it automatically gets returned at the end of the period, or you can renew your hold if noone else is waiting for it.
    Custom userbar/avvie by the lovely @(you need an account to see links)

Beautiful starbirb Ryu, Meteion, by the talented @(you need an account to see links)!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dasvidaniya For This Useful Post:

Tater (03-01-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I've had a lot of luck with listening to an audiobook while I read along with a physical book. I think having the two points of contact really helps for my sustained attention because I do also have an issue of tuning out audiobooks, which is why I tend to use them for books I've read before. That said, we're all different and have different things that make your brains tick. If you can listen to podcasts, which is another thing I struggle with tuning out of, then audiobooks seem like a good bet!

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    4d 9h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I may just have to give audio books a try. I still have my kindle unlimited that hardly gets used except for research lol. I like the idea of it being returned automatically at this end since I'm always forgetting to return mine on the kindle, whoops.

I've tried reading and listening before when I was younger and it didn't work, butttt I haven't really tried that method in a long while. I may have to look up an audio book for a book I already own and see if it helps me actually finish one.

“Im a Potato,”

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    i hate reading lol. i think ive finished 10 books my entire life. i although like reading magazines... so does that count?

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    16d 10h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I may just have to give audio books a try. I still have my kindle unlimited that hardly gets used except for research lol. I like the idea of it being returned automatically at this end since I'm always forgetting to return mine on the kindle, whoops..
    I'm also super forgetful, so I feel that xD I'm glad Libby & Hoopla return it automatically or I'd be in trouble lol. I actually have a Kindle Paperwhite that I got yearrsss ago but hardly use now because of audiobooks, buuuut the nice thing is that you can have Libby send the books you borrow to either the Libby app on your phone/tablet OR your Kindle, if you prefer to physically read it! Because Libby has both audiobooks & ebooks, just depending on what's available in your library's digital collection. Sometimes I can't find a book in audiobook format (it doesn't exist or they don't have it for some reason) and will just have it transferred to my kindle to read c:
    Custom userbar/avvie by the lovely @(you need an account to see links)

Beautiful starbirb Ryu, Meteion, by the talented @(you need an account to see links)!

Pronouns
    it/its
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 2h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I go through phases where I'll read books like I'm running out of time which are followed by months of not reading- I tend to want to "all or nothing" books and if I anticipate that I won't be able to finish it in a few days because of plans or scheduling, I usually won't start. I have two vacations that I plan every year and on both of those I'll shred through books!

I've been trying to get myself to book club things, but alone, if that makes sense? I'll give myself a specific chunk (chapter/s, pages) to read at once and then wait. That's been a little helpful, at least!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I read on my phone before I fall asleep every night. I read a lot of fiction, sci-fi, litRPG, adventure kind of stuff. My main issue is finding a series that will keep me engaged and is long enough that I won’t read through it in a week or two haha
    I don’t usually read physical books anymore, but because it’s so much easier carrying my books in my pocket on my phone. I find it easier to read before bed because I can turn the brightness down and the night time mode and read until I feel my eyes skipping over things. It helps me fall asleep and is definitely part of my routine now.

i have a kindle, but it’s not the same. I use that mostly at the beach! Audiobooks aren’t my thing. If I’m listening to something, it’s either music, or maybe a podcast on something I’m interested in.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Pronouns
    she
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    95/0
    Mentioned
    505 times
    Time Online
    222d 5h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 55m
    Nowadays, it's hard for me to focus too!
    But I noticed that it's related to my anxiety. I always feel like I should be reading something work/studies related instead of having fun, so I have to force myself A LOT to finish the book. I can start it and read lots of chapters, but there's a moment that anxiety voice whispers in my ears that I need to priorize something else.
    One thing that really helped me was putting bookmarks in the end/beggining of each chapter. Everytime I finish a chapter, I remove a bookmark. It feels like the book is smaller and I have less pages to finish, which motivates me to keep reading the following chapters. (:

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    40d 5h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Bought a harry potter book back then "a long long time ago" managed to only read 2 pages and then the book was never been found afterwards.
    Then one day i finally realize the only "books" i am capable of completing are webtoons , manga, manhua scans