46/0
    Mentioned
    678 times
    Time Online
    213d 17h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 32m

Memorable Musical Anime Themes - Discussion

Is there a character theme, opening/ending song, or OST moment that sticks with you? Here are some guiding sorts of questions: What about it highlights the character or scene, and how? What about it do you like? Has this theme or song had a particular impact in your life? I’m thinking one song per post, and I’m looking forward to all the musical discussion around them.

I’ll start since I’m creating this thread! I’ve been thinking of creating this for a few days as I finish rewatching the original Bleach series.

This song’s name is Invasion. It’s first heard in the Arrancar plot, but it’s also in the Bleach movie “The Diamond Dust Rebellion.” I tried to see if it was in the Bleach OST under a different name but couldn’t find it readily. If someone knows, please tell me!

Anime Context:
    The world inside Bleach is generally separated into Earth, the Soul Society (a tangible realm for human souls where they continue to live post Earthly death) and Hueco Mundo, where hollows or soul-eaters live. Arrancars are super hollows that have consumed so many souls they regain their rational thinking, and particularly the Espadas who are the most humanlike and the elite of the elite. One ran the place before Aizen took over. Aizen has one of his Espada, Ulquiorra, kidnap Ichigo’s best friend Orihime. She is taken to Hueco Mundo - so naturally Ichigo goes to rescue her. Orihime has god-like abilities to not just heal but reject phenomenon. The song plays as Ichigo starts battling his way to the top where she is held, and the fights begin to get particularly arduous.

Personal Context:
    I played this song in the background during the epic part of a one-act based on Hamlet, back when I was in high school! It might have only been in the recorded version? But in my mind I could hear it while the actor was on stage. It fit perfectly!

Musical Thoughts, just for fun!:

Musical and contextual analysis aside, it’s just an epic sounding song with that “ooh this is dark but where is it going” vibe. It’s stuck with me all these years, and hearing it within the anime again brought a big smile to my face!

Lyrics:

Last edited by Lyrichord; 02-22-2023 at 01:48 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (06-14-2023),Ice (06-21-2023),Slowpoke (07-12-2023),Zenitsu (06-10-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    678 times
    Time Online
    213d 17h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 32m
    Lyrichord geeking out about “Invasion”: Part Two.

I did some more research and I was able to find the Bleach episodes the theme plays during! It's #194 (Neliel vs Nnoitra origin story) and #198 (Captain Kurotsuchi vs Szayelaporro).

What I found particularly interesting is how similar it a piece called “Aizen’s Theme - Treacherously” or “Treachery-Treacherously." It plays fully in episode #293 (Aizen vs Captains) and #301 (Urahara and Yoruichi vs Aizen).

Lyrics:
    I can tell that you've never been true to me
    I can smell that you're acting so fearfully
    I can hear what you're hoping I want to hear
    I can feel the alarm bells are ringing in me
    I can touch but I know you don't feel a thing
    I can pray but I know you commit a sin
    I can sense now it's all become clear to see
    You're no good, and you mean no good treacherously.

It’s the 5 senses Aizen controls. As Aizen says, “Trusting someone...means relying on them - and only the weak do that. I never ask them to trust me at all. I told them to come with me but I never told them to trust me. And I always tell them not to trust anyone, including myself."

Lyrically “Invasion” reads better as poetry, but it’s a challenging melody to add lyrics to with its chant like nature. This is the darker and more musically complex variation on the musical theme. "Invasion" is single-minded, win or die trying. Crazy, and chaotic, but still a simpler tune than "Treacherously," for which, fittingly, there's way more than meets the eye/ear musically. It feels a lot more like a "in the middle" song to me than the "Carmina Burana" - esque "Invasion". A second look at the lyrics and this all makes sense: "Invasion" is a statement, there is cause that man will fight for; "Treacherously" is the fear when the enemy taunts back stronger.

For this theme to only appear in 4 episodes + just as briefly in 2 movies, I’m shocked I remember it so well and that it made such an impact. They’re just that good! I would absolutely love to hear both of them remastered. "Invasion" is my easy favorite between the two if I'm listening to them outside of the anime, but realizing all the context around "Treachery" and hearing it again has been a jaw-drop moment!

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    103d 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    These are some of my all time favorites!

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood Opening 1

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood End Credits 1

Mirai Nikki Opening

NORAGAMI Opening

Blue Exorcist Opening

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (02-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    203 times
    Time Online
    41d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Butterfly Tri version ~

Heart of Sword ( Rounin Kenshin / Samurai X )

You can't Unseen TM Revolution's MV after you watch it ( Watch at your own risk haha )

Yu-Gi-Oh's Passionate Duelist theme song :

Fairy Tail's Dragon Force OST:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (04-28-2023)

*hair toss*
    Pronouns
    She/her/hers
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    401 times
    Time Online
    82d 1h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    47m
    I'm gonna be REALLY basic here, but does anything go harder than Attack on Titan's Guren no Yumiya? This song is what made me sit up straight and pay attention to the show lol - it just fits the tone of the first season perfectly, giving me the rage and horror and drive that compels the characters!

Also, Revolutionary Girl Utena's opening Rinbu Revolution!

This always feel like I'd jam to it in a 90s jazz lounge, or something. The visuals are PERFECTION too.

And while it's not strictly anime, God Shattering Star from Fire Emblem: Three Houses is just so fucking incredible lol

They're going against an evil institution that's been hiding behind the church, and the operatic vocals at the beginning combined with the heavy beats and synthesizer drops emphasize the weird unholy union of that villain arc perfectly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flordibel For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (04-28-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    17d 2h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    The most memorable OP for me would have to be Elfen Lied's "Lilium".
    The video is comparatively quite plain when lined up against openings in similar horror/drama genre, and is slow moving while stylised artworks, inspired by Gustav Klimt, play alongside the orchestral music. My first encounter with this OP was when I was a young teenager, I didn't give much thought to the opening other than believing the music to be pretty. Nevertheless, the song has always stuck with me throughout my life and having the opportunity to revisit the video as an adult creates an entirely new visual experience. The overall desire for love, affection, truth of self and their inability to truly ever hold it.

NSFW WARNING: Nudity

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombabe For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (06-14-2023),Lyrichord (06-21-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    678 times
    Time Online
    213d 17h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 32m
    I keep meaning to go through these! I think I'll have to go post by post to make sure I appreciate them properly!

@(you need an account to see links) The FMA songs are so nostalgic! The opening is fun. The closing has that sweet summer, we know where we're going and what our mission is, feel. I like the cartoon drawings from the first part of the series too.

Mirai Nikki: dang that dark choir vocal dissolving into the chaos of the electric guitars or whatever they used right at the beginning. The musical phrasing really feels like it's drawing one down in circles along with it. Looks like it matches the show's theme pretty well!

Blue Exorcist: Even with the subtitles I appreciate how the artwork changes as each new musical theme changes or morphs! It's so well synced.

Thank you for sharing!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyrichord For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (06-10-2023)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    711 times
    Time Online
    354d 12h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 12m

Inuyasha was one of the first animes I got into! Mostly because the openings/endings from each season were B O P S

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

Lyrichord (06-22-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    66/0
    Mentioned
    203 times
    Time Online
    41d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    @(you need an account to see links) Just to add on into your comment on inuyasha's songs haha. The ending 4 - Every Heart is the gateway that leads anime lovers to cross over to K-pop haha not for all but there is quite a big number xD including me . After listening to that song they search for the singer which is BoA that leads into K-pop haha.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KJiU For This Useful Post:

Buizel (06-10-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    46m
    This song is on Spotify and you bet I pump the speakers loud when it comes on (Hunter X Hunter - Departure)

Also really love this CCS opening~