3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m

Mechanical Keyboards

Hope this is the right place to talk about this- I wanna talk about mechanical keyboards! I just recently got my hands on one, or, the pieces of one and put it all together (switch pins are more fragile than i thought, whoops) and im crazy about it- I don't have the time or patience to lube the switches or anything so im trying not to obsess but its hard, lol.

Do you guys have a mechanical keyboard? What are your favorite brands or mods or switches? If it looks cool show me a picture too! Heres mine, a 96% :3 (im planning on getting a new matching deskmat too)

(you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penumbra For This Useful Post:

Aero (12-30-2023),Ariealle (09-30-2023),Cat Purrson (09-30-2023),dramaturgic (09-30-2023),Excalibur (09-30-2023),♥ honeycomb ♥ (09-30-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),Zenitsu (12-25-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by pennumbra View Post
    Hope this is the right place to talk about this- I wanna talk about mechanical keyboards! I just recently got my hands on one, or, the pieces of one and put it all together (switch pins are more fragile than i thought, whoops) and im crazy about it- I don't have the time or patience to lube the switches or anything so im trying not to obsess but its hard, lol.

Do you guys have a mechanical keyboard? What are your favorite brands or mods or switches? If it looks cool show me a picture too! Heres mine, a 96% :3 (im planning on getting a new matching deskmat too)

On my way. Will be edited with a lot of content. Give me 5 lol

---

Alright! so my pictures are: (you need an account to see links)

Apple 90's era mechanical keyboards that i have not modified just yet. Really havent had the time but i cant wait to post them on my channel once i do!

---

these next ones are ALL MINE all of them are modified. White one is linear switches red- otemu

Black one is custom switches yellow tactile with linear clear outsides

waves keyboard is OEM browns

Blue and purp keeb is optical black tactiles

---

I am a keeb Budgeteer. I love my budget brands. So any ebay/amazon brand thats 70% or less. I do not like large keebs.

i love my linears for FPS and my tactile for long typine. clickys are straight thrown away lol

i like Otemu or Akko switches. I like PBA keycaps they feel so amazing. get dirty easily however.

here was my ACNH keeb i modified for a twitch friend:

(you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

i use ali express cause theyre pretty cheap. all my switches are lubbed and all my stabs are modified. i use HEAVY insulation so the keebs sound AMAZING

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Aero (12-30-2023),Ariealle (09-30-2023),Cat Purrson (09-30-2023),Cinnamoroll (12-14-2023),Compulsiv (12-30-2023),dramaturgic (09-30-2023),Kaguya (12-14-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),penumbra (09-30-2023),Zenitsu (12-25-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    @(you need an account to see links) oh wow! thats so many, very cool collection! good to know budget stuff works just as well, im always hesitant to try aliexpress lol. The ac keyboard is so cute!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penumbra For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),Excalibur (09-30-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),Zenitsu (12-25-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    This is my first keeb and I've used this one for quite a while ever since I first started dipping my toes into this hobby:

It's a Mark65 I got from someone secondhand + XDA ocean-themed keycaps I think I was using SP-Star Purples (tactile) then, and later swapped to Alpacas (linear) since I like how they feel heavier. I'm not really a fan of RGB lights on my keyboard, but I kind of like how muted it looks through the translucent case

And this is the current setup I'm using:

It's a Monokei Standard + PBT Origami keycaps + Durock Black Lotus (Linear) switches I'm particularly happy about this set mainly because the Origami keycaps were from a custom group buy that I had waited nearly 1.5 years for (and it arrived right around last year Christmas haha)! I don't do much modding either, just the normal switch lubing/filming, but I think I might start trying out spacebar mods since the rattling is starting to sound a little jarring lol. Oh and as for the sound profile, I'd say it sounds more towards marbly than thock, which I much much prefer given that I type a lot for work. But it's not at the perfect sound that I hoped for and I'm probably going to be fixing it during my next break hopefully ^^

I also have a navy Zoom65 and an osume Dalgona keycap set, but I still can't find anything that would pair well with those so they're both collecting dust in my closet right now

----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Alright! so my pictures are: (you need an account to see links)

Apple 90's era mechanical keyboards that i have not modified just yet. Really havent had the time but i cant wait to post them on my channel once i do!
    This looks amazing!! Retro keyboards are something I've always wanted but I don't know if I have the space to keep more keyboards haha. Nevertheless I'd be really interested to see the end result
    Last edited by dramaturgic; 09-30-2023 at 09:27 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dramaturgic For This Useful Post:

Aero (12-30-2023),Ariealle (12-24-2023),Excalibur (09-30-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),Zenitsu (09-30-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    @(you need an account to see links) oh wow! thats so many, very cool collection! good to know budget stuff works just as well, im always hesitant to try aliexpress lol. The ac keyboard is so cute!
    ali express for switches lol thank you! yes i love my budget keebs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dramaturgic View Post
    This is my first keeb and I've used this one for quite a while ever since I first started dipping my toes into this hobby:

It's a Mark65 I got from someone secondhand + XDA ocean-themed keycaps I think I was using SP-Star Purples (tactile) then, and later swapped to Alpacas (linear) since I like how they feel heavier. I'm not really a fan of RGB lights on my keyboard, but I kind of like how muted it looks through the translucent case

It's a Monokei Standard + PBT Origami keycaps + Durock Black Lotus (Linear) switches I'm particularly happy about this set mainly because the Origami keycaps were from a custom group buy that I had waited nearly 1.5 years for (and it arrived right around last year Christmas haha)! I don't do much modding either, just the normal switch lubing/filming, but I think I might start trying out spacebar mods since the rattling is starting to sound a little jarring lol. Oh and as for the sound profile, I'd say it sounds more towards marbly than thock, which I much much prefer given that I type a lot for work. But it's not at the perfect sound that I hoped for and I'm probably going to be fixing it during my next break hopefully ^^

I also have a navy Zoom65 and an osume Dalgona keycap set, but I still can't find anything that would pair well with those so they're both collecting dust in my closet right now

----------------------------------------

This looks amazing!! Retro keyboards are something I've always wanted but I don't know if I have the space to keep more keyboards haha. Nevertheless I'd be really interested to see the end result
    you spent some dough! I LOVE IT. clean set up <3

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),dramaturgic (09-30-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),Zenitsu (12-25-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by dramaturgic View Post

Ooh wow those origami keycaps are so nice. im still learning brands so i have a lot more stuff to look into now haha.
    I've tried my sister's keyboard and she goes for a more thock-y sound, I still can't decide exactly how I want mine to sound, I really like the aesthetics and customizability of the keyboards but when it comes to sound I actually can't tell subtle differences like a lot of people in the videos i watch can, haha. I guess that just comes with time spent listening to it.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penumbra For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),dramaturgic (09-30-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),Zenitsu (12-25-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    you spent some dough! I LOVE IT. clean set up <3
    Thank you! I love how keebs can look really sleek and awesome at a budget-friendly price too (I have a friend who's into budget keebs like you!) but I personally prefer entry-enthusiast level keyboards mostly because of how unnecessarily "extra" they can be (like metallic knobs or LED screens at a comparatively lower price etc., you name it) And as someone who practically types on a keyboard for more than 10 hours a day, I consider these as an investment and wouldn't mind spending a little more just to make myself happy while using it haha.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dramaturgic For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    gotchu! Drop is a good one for a quality set of keebs!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Ooh wow those origami keycaps are so nice. im still learning brands so i have a lot more stuff to look into now haha.
    I've tried my sister's keyboard and she goes for a more thock-y sound, I still can't decide exactly how I want mine to sound, I really like the aesthetics and customizability of the keyboards but when it comes to sound I actually can't tell subtle differences like a lot of people in the videos i watch can, haha. I guess that just comes with time spent listening to it.
    Yeah I'd say that you do start to get a rough idea of the differences after watching enough videos haha! When I first started out I used to watch a lot of :3ildcat or Taeha Types for keyboard reviews or modding guides, but now I think YTers like ricecloud is great at doing the same but bring a lot of awareness to budget keebs, not to forget great aesthetics as well.
    AFAIK thock sounds used to be a really big thing, but it seems like a lot of people are slowly transitioning to the marbly sound profile now. To me marble and thock sounds quite similar, with the only exception that marbly is slightly muted and sounds smoother (if that even makes sense ) Still all keyboards sound different, so hopefully you can find the perfect sound profile you're looking for after some experiments or research!!

It's been probably 2-3 years since I've started learning about keebs but even now there's still so many things I don't know haha (recently I've been reading and considering getting a split keyboard). It's truly a rabbit hole that's hard to get out of once you jump into it

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dramaturgic For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),Excalibur (10-01-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    184 times
    Time Online
    43d 23h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I've never owned one as I've been using laptops since 2009 due to university first and then my job. But I've been thinking (dreaming) of building a gaming PC for the last few months, and I'm definitely going to be in the market for one soon, so this thread is p0rn to me lol.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Infected For This Useful Post:

Ariealle (12-24-2023),dramaturgic (10-02-2023),Excalibur (10-01-2023),Kisses (12-27-2023),penumbra (10-01-2023),Zenitsu (12-25-2023)