3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

Mahjong, anyone?

Anyone like to play mahjong? Real mahjong, not the mahjong solitaire matching game. I'm obsessed with it.
    I like playing Chinese/Hong Kong style mostly but there are app games to play riichi mahjong so I learned that too.
    I play the app game Riichi City so if you play that we should add each other :3

And if you don't play mahjong but wanna learn- you should hit me up! I love teaching people how to play, its not too hard but its so addictive.
    Riichi City has anime waifus, lol

pictured: me and the girls playing mahjong

If you think you might be interested in playing, here is a basic guide to riichi mahjong!

Last edited by penumbra; 09-06-2023 at 09:24 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to penumbra For This Useful Post:

Teakwood (09-07-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    52d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Mahjong is something that I've always wanted to learn how to play, but never was able to have a chance to. I play cards every week, but I'd love to find something like this. Maybe in bigger city than what I currently live in.

Is there a big different between Riichi mahjong vs. Chinese/Hong Kong?

Thank you Hellraid <3

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post
    Mahjong is something that I've always wanted to learn how to play, but never was able to have a chance to. I play cards every week, but I'd love to find something like this. Maybe in bigger city than what I currently live in.

Is there a big different between Riichi mahjong vs. Chinese/Hong Kong?
    Of you could learn to play, teach all your friends to play, and then force them to play with you, like I do! 😂 Though sets do go for like upwards of $50 so it is a bit of an investment.

Riichi mahjong is mostly the same as Chinese mahjong with one big difference- you can't win a round unless you get at least 1 point- in Chinese mahjong you can kinda just win with any hand regardless of any points you may or may not have- some hands are worth 0 points technically. Riichi mahjong is named after another difference- if you have an entirely closed hand without picking up anyone's discards, and you have 1 tile left before you win, you can call Riichi---- and this is probably getting too complicated for me just trying to explain the differences lol but I'd recard riichi mahjong as slightly more advanced than your regular chinese rules.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penumbra For This Useful Post:

Peanutface (09-05-2023),Teakwood (09-06-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    94d 17h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    Wow another fan. I have a game twice a week with a bunch of girlfriends. We do play for money but not a lot. Just love the game. Thanks for introducing the subject

Cashew
    Hatched: 11-14-2020

Thank you (you need an account to see links) for the adoptables!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutface View Post
    Wow another fan. I have a game twice a week with a bunch of girlfriends. We do play for money but not a lot. Just love the game. Thanks for introducing the subject
    oh sweet, that's awesome! Twice a week wow you guys really love it! What version do you guys play?

When I move out of apartment-living into a house, I wanna get one of those automatic mahjong tables and play with my friends. though the ones i play with are too poor to play with money 😂

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    84/0
    Mentioned
    196 times
    Time Online
    94d 17h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    We play the american version. We get a new card every year the first weekend in April. We all love that time of the year. None of us has that table. It is a bloody fortune. We mush up the tiles the old fashioned way.

Cashew
    Hatched: 11-14-2020

Thank you (you need an account to see links) for the adoptables!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutface View Post
    We play the american version. We get a new card every year the first weekend in April. We all love that time of the year. None of us has that table. It is a bloody fortune. We mush up the tiles the old fashioned way.
    American version has you making a hand specified on the cards, right? Do you have to memorize them all or can you look at the cards while you play, lol

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    169 times
    Time Online
    40d 4h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I used to play with my grandmom when I was a kid. I haven't played since then though. But I recently learned there's many variations to the game and a lot of people play it differently from others!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    180 times
    Time Online
    52d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by pennumbra View Post
    Of you could learn to play, teach all your friends to play, and then force them to play with you, like I do! 😂 Though sets do go for like upwards of $50 so it is a bit of an investment.

Riichi mahjong is mostly the same as Chinese mahjong with one big difference- you can't win a round unless you get at least 1 point- in Chinese mahjong you can kinda just win with any hand regardless of any points you may or may not have- some hands are worth 0 points technically. Riichi mahjong is named after another difference- if you have an entirely closed hand without picking up anyone's discards, and you have 1 tile left before you win, you can call Riichi---- and this is probably getting too complicated for me just trying to explain the differences lol but I'd recard riichi mahjong as slightly more advanced than your regular chinese rules.
    If you wanted to make a guide on the basics of riichi mahjong, I'd love to see it. I'm going to download the game and see if I can fudge my way through it a few times to see if I'd like to continue playing.

Thank you for explaining it to me though!

Thank you Hellraid <3

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    7d 7h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    I've always been interested in Mahjong and thought about picking up Mahjong Soul. However I dunno if my brain can handle learning more games. T_T