DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    I work in tech as a developer, but as of recently am unemployed. Trying to find something that pays the bills, provides good health insurance, but doesn't suck my soul away. I was just talking to a friend who is also job-searching about how important it is to also have stuff outside of school/career that drives you in some way, but I still want to have some degree of pickiness over what I do next, especially because right now I don't have that thing that balances shit out. Until I got sick in my early twenties, I was super passionate about outdoor adventuring, but it was never something I wanted to make a career of. Still was super painful to have to give it up. Later on, my year as a coordinator here was one of the most fulfilling things I've ever done in my life and I can only hope I'll be able to find something like that again someday. Maybe one day I'll find something that hits that right spark, there are certainly graduate programs that allow for weird and multidisciplinary approaches to technology and code, but it would definitely be a paycut and also comes with the huge risk of monetizing your hobbies taking the joy out of it.

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Menine (01-10-2023),mixednuts (01-11-2023),Zenitsu (01-05-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    146/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    42d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Whenever you need help with spanish, I'm here!
    Are you the owner of the event planning or do you work for a company?
    That kind of job is very heavy, setting all things up and making them perfect being against the clock...
    Also, I don't get how can you be majoring something and minoring another completely different thing. How does school works? lol
    I work for a company, I wouldn't want to run that type of business, too much pressure! It's very heavy on stress and heavy weight wise as well. Some of the things we move are hundreds of pounds, of course we use dollys (dollies?) and stuff but they're still really heavy lol. Some of our clients are downright unbearable to deal with too, they're always stressed out and yelling or being the "I'm better than you" type. Honestly the TV/Movie gigs are the most relaxed. Those people aren't stressed out about anything and it's all "take your time, no worries." and lots of friendly conversation. Everyone else is a nightmare lol.

As for the school thing I really don't know how it works to be honest lol. To me I see major as what you're actually going to school for and your minor to be something that you wouldn't mind doing instead or just something you really want to learn for the heck of it.

So like if I major in computer science and cant find a job in it, I minored in translation so might be able to get a job in that field instead? I dunno lol that might not be how it works at all. I just love computers, want to learn more coding and all that stuff, but I also love languages, I've taken German 1-3, French 1-2, and middle school spanish/spanish 1 in high school. I also started teaching myself Korean during the pandemic and had to learn a few phrases in Portuguese because I play a few video games that have a big BR player base but I'd like to be able to have full on conversations with them and not just be able to say a few phrases related to the game (it gets lonely). While I hope I can get a job in either of those fields, honestly the only reason I picked them is because they're things I want to learn anyways but don't want to have to teach myself and I've got a free scholarship (thanks to my husband), so I figured "why not?" and checked computer science under major and foreign language studies and translation under minor lol.

and thanks I can probably use all the help I can get. A big majority of my customers when I do popup stores are spanish speakers and I try my best to speak with them but it's been so long since I've taken any Spanish at all. Thankfully they usually have a bilingual child who helps things along but I'd like to be able to communicate with them directly.
    Last edited by Narkotiq; 01-05-2023 at 04:03 PM.

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkotiq View Post
    I work for a company, I wouldn't want to run that type of business, too much pressure! It's very heavy on stress and heavy weight wise as well. Some of the things we move are hundreds of pounds, of course we use dollys (dollies?) and stuff but they're still really heavy lol. Some of our clients are downright unbearable to deal with too, they're always stressed out and yelling or being the "I'm better than you" type. Honestly the TV/Movie gigs are the most relaxed. Those people aren't stressed out about anything and it's all "take your time, no worries." and lots of friendly conversation. Everyone else is a nightmare lol.

As for the school thing I really don't know how it works to be honest lol. To me I see major as what you're actually going to school for and your minor to be something that you wouldn't mind doing instead or just something you really want to learn for the heck of it.

So like if I major in computer science and cant find a job in it, I minored in translation so might be able to get a job in that field instead? I dunno lol that might not be how it works at all. I just love computers, want to learn more coding and all that stuff, but I also love languages, I've taken German 1-3, French 1-2, and middle school spanish/spanish 1 in high school. I also started teaching myself Korean during the pandemic and had to learn a few phrases in Portuguese because I play a few video games that have a big BR player base but I'd like to be able to have full on conversations with them and not just be able to say a few phrases related to the game (it gets lonely). While I hope I can get a job in either of those fields, honestly the only reason I picked them is because they're things I want to learn anyways but don't want to have to teach myself and I've got a free scholarship so I figured "why not?" and checked computer science under major and foreign language studies and translation under minor lol.

and thanks I can probably use all the help I can get. A big majority of my customers when I do popup stores are spanish speakers and I try my best to speak with them but it's been so long since I've taken any Spanish at all. Thankfully they usually have a bilingual child who helps things along but I'd like to be able to communicate with them directly.
    Yes, there's a looot of pressure. There's a lot of money involved and I think that stress people out.

About the school, that's actually nice. I have never heard about minoring and that's a great idea. In Mexico you graduate from a degree and that's all.

And I think programming is like learning another language, so I think you're in the rigth spot. What are your interests in the software field? I'm in an Automation Testing Bootcamp rigth now!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyranitar For This Useful Post:

Narkotiq (01-05-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    146/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    42d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    Yes, there's a looot of pressure. There's a lot of money involved and I think that stress people out.

About the school, that's actually nice. I have never heard about minoring and that's a great idea. In Mexico you graduate from a degree and that's all.

And I think programming is like learning another language, so I think you're in the rigth spot. What are your interests in the software field? I'm in an Automation Testing Bootcamp rigth now!
    To be honest anything really. I've always viewed programming as the technology/science version of witchcraft in the sense that you basically can create something from nothing using a few tools and some "words" and I've always thought that was really cool. I guess if I wanted to be cliche I'd say that I really want to design video games but that's not entirely realistic as a job and isn't the main reason I want to go into programming. Beside knowing people in the field who make really good money I want to learn programming to make my life easier. I'd like to automate tasks I do every day so I don't have to do them, especially with running my business. There is a lot of boring repetitive things in ecommerce that could totally be automated and probably already are in some form but I'd rather write the script myself than pay a monthly subscription to use someone elses. I'd also like to be able to understand AI better and learn to write it because it's the future (and it's fun).
    Last edited by Narkotiq; 01-05-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    16d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I'm a medical student, in my third year now

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiny Espurr For This Useful Post:

♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (01-05-2023),mixednuts (01-11-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    28d 8h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    Aww, you said that sweetly. I like being a mother.
    My children are older now. The youngest has a birthday today and is 8 years old. The next one will be 12 in February and the oldest child is already 14, but needs the most attention because she is a child with special needs.
    This is also the reason why I can't work at the moment and also don't know if and when it will be possible again.

Yes, I once read a lot, but unfortunately I hardly have time for it anymore. I try to read a few more pages every day in the evening in bed. Depending on how tired I am, I read sometimes more sometimes less, hehe.
    But reading as a bookseller is different from hobby reading, often you do not read the whole book, but only in part.
    This is often enough to be able to recommend books and authors to customers, according to their preferences.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneasel For This Useful Post:

Tyranitar (01-06-2023)

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    127 times
    Time Online
    51d 20h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    I'm a veterinary (as most around here already know, haha!). I'm about to finish my masters, I tested the method of disk diffusion for a specific bacteria (C. difficile, it causes diahrrea in humans and animals. It has been seen as (you need an account to see links), a major problem on (you need an account to see links) and also a threat due to passing of resistance genes), as there is no guideline for a lot of antibiotics. I ended up testing for 3 different ones that are important on its epidemiology, as strains that are more resistant to these may become epidemic. Having a disk diffusion value makes it easier and cheaper to test whether or not the bacteria is resistant, as the other two methods (Etest and agar dillution) are more expensive and/or requite greater technique (which is unrealistic for a hospital's routine). Applying disk diffusion on a day-to-day routine in hospitals and labs that research C. difficile is a major step into predicting new outbreaks.
    Amazing userbar by the talented (you need an account to see links)

P O L T E R G E I S T

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Danny Phantom For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (01-06-2023),♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (01-05-2023),Menine (01-10-2023),mixednuts (01-11-2023),Nattiee (01-05-2023)

Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    42/0
    Mentioned
    426 times
    Time Online
    121d 12h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 2m
    I work in mental health, I specialize in people with disabilities and I am studying branches of psychology related to education and law.
    While I was at university I wanted to drop out many times because I started to see what I was getting into and... I did not like it. When I finally graduated I started working and everything got worse. It took me a long time to find the specialization that I really liked.
    Once again I was debating whether or not I should start studying something else until by chance I agreed to work in an institution for people with disabilities. And everything was better. Sort of lol. I really found where I want to work, what I want to do and it motivates me to continue studying but there is a lot of shit everywhere. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good stuff, but the bad stuff is really bad… Mainly because there are too many rights that are not guaranteed, for whatever reasons (economic, socio-cultural or legal reasons, political/ institutional lack of interest) and It causes a lot of discomfort and suffering.

And to balance all that bullshit and make my life less hostile, I'm taking singing lessons! Before the pandemic I was in a choir for a couple of years and I missed it so much. It’s private classes at the moment, but I may return to a choir in the future.

Ah, I also signed up for python classes. A university here is giving free classes and why not? lol

Pixie♥ ~
    Hatched 11/13/2020
    Chibi Grey Faerie by ♥ Wooloo ♥

(you need an account to see links)
    Both Grey Pixel Pixie by the Honeycomb

my ubs by Lyrichord

Ryupocalypse 07-15-2021
    Grey love faerie by Houndoom

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreyFaerie For This Useful Post:

DarkSkies (01-06-2023),kittyray (01-05-2023),mixednuts (01-11-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    38d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    im a high school teacher

(just kidding... mostly. i enjoy it and its a lot of fun, but very draining.)

mothman userbar by @munna !!! <3
    venonat splice by me :3

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mothman For This Useful Post:

♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (01-05-2023),kittyray (01-05-2023),Menine (01-10-2023),mixednuts (01-11-2023),Rosie (01-19-2023)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    122 times
    Time Online
    17d 16h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    52m
    I’m fleet manager for a ready mix concrete plant, I look after servicing and maintenance of about 60 trucks and deal with truck (sometimes driver) breakdowns as well. Also working on a long term plan for replacing aging trucks with newer ones in the fleet

Thanks to Houndoom for the Shinx drawing!
    Thanks to Great White North for the Shinx Ryu!
    Thanks to DankRUSE for the avatar and to Lyrichord for the userbars and tying it in to the avatar art!
    You all are amazing <3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinx For This Useful Post:

♥ GreyFaerie ♥ (01-06-2023)