Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mind sharing something that you're proud of?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    I was in a friend group in highschool that was extremely competitive (gaming) and 10/12 of them were male.

I didn't really play any PC games until I was 18, so I didn't really mesh with them about games other than Pokemon or tabletop/MTG - and they often made jabs about how me and the other girl aren't good at games.
    I used to laugh and I told them I bet I'm better than them at this game they were all obsessed with.

They laughed and would continue to jab at me and other girl all the time, honestly so much I'm not sure why I kept hanging out with them - literally the bane of my high school existance was my own friend group

Anyways, fast forward a year later I start playing their game on my boyfriends PC. I'm absolutely awful at it, it's my first PC game what do you expect lmao!
    The jabbing continues...

Fast forward another year, I've fallen in love with this game - I've surpassed them all in rank - I've succeeded in being better than them
    They finally give in except the 'ringleader' who tells me it doesn't matter, they're all bad at the game anyways.

SO I tell him I'm going to go pro in the game.
    They all laugh, of course.

Last year in July I made a very measly 1000 dollars cash prize from a professional tournament for this game.

I went pro in the game.

I don't talk to any of them anymore, but FUCK it feels good to this day.
    UMM that's incredible!! The best revenge is success. Do you still compete?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
    I'm proud of myself because I changed my career successfully!
    I was a civil engineer working in the construction field, but I have always liked software stuff and I was very curious about it.
    So long story short, I moved to another city where I don't know anybody and I didn't want to start over in the construction field, so I started studying to start in the software area and finally after like 6 months, I'm in training for a good latin america software company!!!
    Congratulations! Changing jobs can be difficult as all hell, especially when you've built a foundation where you are. Comfort and stability is always what I use to talk myself out of big life changes like that. Do you like your new job?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (01-04-2023),♥ cherub ♥ (01-04-2023)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,161 times
    Time Online
    556d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 27m
    I'm really loving reading everybody's stories here. <3
    (you need an account to see links)

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (01-04-2023),Menine (01-05-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    76d 21h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    I was in a friend group in highschool that was extremely competitive (gaming) and 10/12 of them were male.

I didn't really play any PC games until I was 18, so I didn't really mesh with them about games other than Pokemon or tabletop/MTG - and they often made jabs about how me and the other girl aren't good at games.
    I used to laugh and I told them I bet I'm better than them at this game they were all obsessed with.

They laughed and would continue to jab at me and other girl all the time, honestly so much I'm not sure why I kept hanging out with them - literally the bane of my high school existance was my own friend group

Anyways, fast forward a year later I start playing their game on my boyfriends PC. I'm absolutely awful at it, it's my first PC game what do you expect lmao!
    The jabbing continues...

Fast forward another year, I've fallen in love with this game - I've surpassed them all in rank - I've succeeded in being better than them
    They finally give in except the 'ringleader' who tells me it doesn't matter, they're all bad at the game anyways.

SO I tell him I'm going to go pro in the game.
    They all laugh, of course.

Last year in July I made a very measly 1000 dollars cash prize from a professional tournament for this game.

I went pro in the game.

I don't talk to any of them anymore, but FUCK it feels good to this day.
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, 100x Yes!!
    That is such a big "In your face!" and I love it! But 1,000 prize in a game (A pro game at that) is still such a crazy amazing amount still!
    Im so proud and happy that you went and showed those fools who's boss!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm proud of myself because I changed my career successfully!
    I was a civil engineer working in the construction field, but I have always liked software stuff and I was very curious about it.
    So long story short, I moved to another city where I don't know anybody and I didn't want to start over in the construction field, so I started studying to start in the software area and finally after like 6 months, I'm in training for a good latin america software company!!!
    Oh, dang! Hell yes! Its super difficult to change careers, and you did it!
    Not only that, but in a career that enjoy and life! That's wonderful news! Im excited for you and whats to come in your future!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

♥ cherub ♥ (01-04-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Yes, it's indeed difficult.
    I needed to analyse a lot of things before taking the descision. I knew I was going to be short of money for a while, that I needed to be FAST, but also patient. I usually do a lot of exercise, but I step aside that and only exercised after long hours of studying.
    Also, I was very afraid to tell people I know about this, I thought that I was failing me, but I quickly override that feeling because I needed to be hired.

But thankfully, my wife and mom supported me the whole process and I'm very thankful!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyranitar For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (01-04-2023)

Pronouns
    🐈/🐱
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    327 times
    Time Online
    103d 2h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 41m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nattiee View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) - What a huge accomplishment. Do you feel like you can smell/breathe better since you’ve stopped? Was there anything that finally made you call it quits?

Yes! Just recently I had a pretty bad upper respiratory infection and I knew if I hadn't quit smoking prior, it would have been sooo much worse. I definitely notice a difference in the morning when waking up, I'm not coughing at all which is so nice. So the thing that actually made me stop was going on a family vacation to Universal Studios Florida. I went with my now fiance, brother, sister, and their kids. My brother and sister don't smoke and their kids are somewhat sheltered from that kind of lifestyle. I know they probably hear about smoking being bad and how it kills from stuff like DARE program and so I was very cautious to not smoke around them. I ended up hitting my vape in the park and my 8 year old nephew, who looks up to me because we like to play video games together, caught me blowing smoke out and walked over to me and tried blowing out air thinking it was cold by me and that is what was producing smoke. I felt SO guilty that I decided not to smoke the rest of the trip. By the time I got home, I had already been so long without smoking, I decided to just stick it out and try to quit for good. It was very hard and I relied on things like hard candy or gum for most of my cravings.

Thank you honeycomb | Thank you Hollow | Thank you Wooloo | Thank you hearts

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cat Purrson For This Useful Post:

Cinnamoroll (01-05-2023),kittyray (01-04-2023),Nattiee (01-04-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    76d 21h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Yes, it's indeed difficult.
    I needed to analyse a lot of things before taking the descision. I knew I was going to be short of money for a while, that I needed to be FAST, but also patient. I usually do a lot of exercise, but I step aside that and only exercised after long hours of studying.
    Also, I was very afraid to tell people I know about this, I thought that I was failing me, but I quickly override that feeling because I needed to be hired.

But thankfully, my wife and mom supported me the whole process and I'm very thankful!
    That is so wonderful to hear that you have the love and support from your family!
    A d you pushed through and were able to reach your goal of changing your career! I really am so hyped and excited for you!
    Working our not only your mind, but body as well

@(you need an account to see links) Being able to quit really is such a hard thing to do. But being able to quit for family and to keep them from doing it really show how strong of a person you are.
    Smoking is so very addicting so I can only imagine the troubles it brought to stop, but I really am very proud and very happy to hear that you've quit.
    Smoking as done so much harm to my family, so when I hear someone stopped... it really gets me emotional and so happy. Thank you!

You're absolutely amazing
    Last edited by Bulbasaur; 01-04-2023 at 06:47 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

Cat Purrson (01-04-2023)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    518 times
    Time Online
    48d 16h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    25m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Purrson View Post
    Yes! Just recently I had a pretty bad upper respiratory infection and I knew if I hadn't quit smoking prior, it would have been sooo much worse. I definitely notice a difference in the morning when waking up, I'm not coughing at all which is so nice. So the thing that actually made me stop was going on a family vacation to Universal Studios Florida. I went with my now fiance, brother, sister, and their kids. My brother and sister don't smoke and their kids are somewhat sheltered from that kind of lifestyle. I know they probably hear about smoking being bad and how it kills from stuff like DARE program and so I was very cautious to not smoke around them. I ended up hitting my vape in the park and my 8 year old nephew, who looks up to me because we like to play video games together, caught me blowing smoke out and walked over to me and tried blowing out air thinking it was cold by me and that is what was producing smoke. I felt SO guilty that I decided not to smoke the rest of the trip. By the time I got home, I had already been so long without smoking, I decided to just stick it out and try to quit for good. It was very hard and I relied on things like hard candy or gum for most of my cravings.
    Omg this is the best and worst story ;( I have an 8 year old nephew I game with too (sometimes though because I’m not great at it) and that hit so close to home. I’m so glad it happened so seamlessly for you. Your family (and nephew) are lucky to have you and the years you brought back from quitting they’ll have you longer!<33

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nattiee For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (01-04-2023),Cat Purrson (01-04-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    76d 21h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nattiee View Post
    Omg this is the best and worst story ;( I have an 8 year old nephew I game with too (sometimes though because I’m not great at it) and that hit so close to home. I’m so glad it happened so seamlessly for you. Your family (and nephew) are lucky to have you and the years you brought back from quitting they’ll have you longer!<33
    I just wanted to thank you for being so supportive and helpful to everyone here

Reading everyone's posts and seeing the amazing things you've all done truly makes me so proud of what you've all done and so excited to see you all happy!
    Life is such a bitch and it tend sot push us down so much. But we all have that spark in us to show that we really are wonderful and beautiful people

If I can fix my health issue, I want to be able to offer my support to those that need a little extra help.
    I'm making sure to work on myself though! As Nattiee mentioned, I should love myself so I can share that love with others
    And Im still here to help out with that as well!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

Nattiee (01-04-2023)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    96/0
    Mentioned
    378 times
    Time Online
    88d 10h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    39m
    I am proud of just making it through a year of not only keeping my studio open but also learning to do newborn photography. Something I haven't offered before.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to phantasia For This Useful Post:

Bulbasaur (01-05-2023)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    223 times
    Time Online
    76d 21h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasia View Post
    I am proud of just making it through a year of not only keeping my studio open but also learning to do newborn photography. Something I haven't offered before.
    Oh my word! I didn't know you had a studio! And also to work with newborns Im sure is a lot of work!
    That's wonderful that you've been doing that and offering something new as well
    It takes a lot to work with kids, so its great to hear you've been doing that for a year!

A very big congratulations!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulbasaur For This Useful Post:

phantasia (01-05-2023)