19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m

{H. Goddess} Harvestella

I didn't see a thread directed towards Harvestella and wasn't sure if anyone had played or was on the fence about buying it - so I figured I'd give my review / post a thread about it for you guys to see!

That should be the Available Now Trailer!

STORY
    SQUARE ENIX presents HARVESTELLA, a brand-new lifestyle simulation RPG.
    Introducing a brand-new fantasy x life simulation RPG from Square Enix! Through the changing seasons, explore an imaginative world, tend your crops, make new friends, face enemies in dynamic combat, and unravel the mystery of the season of death, Quietus.

How I feel about it -

So I waited awhile to purchase it, I'm gonna be honest - with SOS A Wonderful life coming and TOS Remastered coming I was too excited about them - Harvestella completely vanished from my thoughts. (Along with Scarlet and Violet which I binge played)

I'm a little glad I waited, not because the game is bad, but because now that I got Pokemon out of the way (aside from a shiny dex completion which will take me hours - upon hours since I refuse to get a shiny charm) I can devote my energy and time to the game.

It very much has a rune factory feel - which I love. The game (for me) is challenging and also extremely interesting. The storyline of an amnesiac who is forced to farm and save the world is one we're familiar with but for some reason it doesn't feel overplayed or cliche.

The character designs so far are honestly really pretty, and the characters stories and how they tie in are kind of heartwrenching. I cried for a few side quests which sounds dumb but man they tugged at the heartstrings in a way I was unfamiliar with and they hit kinda close to home.

I'm only on chapter 3 out of 10 I believe and I've already found myself immersed.
    The voice actors / actresses are lovely and honestly I love listening to their quips during battle.

I can definitely give a more in depth review and add some photos when I get off work but I highly recommend checking it out and even playing the demo if you don't want to fully commit.
    UB Courtesy of: @Munna

Credit for the beautiful signature to: (you need an account to see links)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Buizel (12-23-2022),Cinnamoroll (12-23-2022),DarkSkies (12-23-2022),Narkotiq (12-23-2022),Rachy Queen (12-23-2022),Slowpoke (12-23-2022),Synth Salazzle (12-23-2022),Zenitsu (12-23-2022)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    146/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    42d 9h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I absolutely love games like this. Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Stardew Valley etc are some of my favorite games. I can't believe I've never even heard of this but I'm sure I'd love it. Thanks for the review.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Narkotiq For This Useful Post:

Buizel (12-24-2022),♥ Harvest Goddess ♥ (12-23-2022)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    My husband bought this for me for Christmas on my Switch!

I played the demo a bit and I actually quite enjoyed it. I haven’t started the actual full game yet (I just got it) but I will soon!
    Thanks for the conversation starter topic! I would absolutely love a more in-depth look and review of the title

(you need an account to see links)

Art Credits:
    issa poot/bffs/be evil by my bb (you need an account to see links)
    custom popsicle userbar: (you need an account to see links)
    custom cinnamoroll ub: (you need an account to see links)
    cinna ryu sprite: (you need an account to see links)
    custom SDV pfp: (you need an account to see links)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Yes I'm so happy!

I get nervous sometimes because I love RPGS / JRPGS but I don't want to bore you guys!

I can't wait to see how you feel about it!
    I will say I loved the fact that when choosing gender you were able to choose Male - Female - Nonbinary!!

The inclusivity really made me excited to play it, and so far my complaints are just things I would complain about in any RPG game LOL
    I'll be able to update the post to also show the romance side of it too! Because that's one of my favorite aspects

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Buizel (12-24-2022),Cinnamoroll (01-01-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    69d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    I was super excited about this game, but after playing the demo I was honestly disappointed.

I was hoping for a Rune Factory( /Stardew) clone and, while it is an RPG with farming, it does not give me the same feeling. I'm not sure if its fair to have expected more from Square, but I thought they surely would have knocked this genre out of the park.
    A big part of these games to me is the life sim aspect -- building relationships with the townsfolk, marriage, etc -- and tbh (even though you're given the option of choosing your gender) this game felt like a waifu collector.

Again I'd take my opinion of it lightly since I only played the demo, but I definitely won't be picking this up until it is heavily discounted.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radius For This Useful Post:

Pronouns
    Any
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    74d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    Quote Originally Posted by radius View Post
    I was super excited about this game, but after playing the demo I was honestly disappointed.

I was hoping for a Rune Factory( /Stardew) clone and, while it is an RPG with farming, it does not give me the same feeling. I'm not sure if its fair to have expected more from Square, but I thought they surely would have knocked this genre out of the park.
    A big part of these games to me is the life sim aspect -- building relationships with the townsfolk, marriage, etc -- and tbh (even though you're given the option of choosing your gender) this game felt like a waifu collector.

Again I'd take my opinion of it lightly since I only played the demo, but I definitely won't be picking this up until it is heavily discounted.
    I can understand that, I was skeptical at first but once I unlocked the side quests from villagers and started working on the characters / romance candidates quests it really deeply fleshed them out for me!

I don’t blame you for wanting to wait though

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvest Goddess For This Useful Post:

Buizel (12-24-2022)

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 15h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    Thank you very much for this board and your thoughts on the game! I feel the same as you do. I love games like this but got distracted by other games that were releasing around the same time. I did play the demo and it was a bit rough around the edges, but this isn't my first time playing a game like this.

For me, this game somewhat plays the same like Shining Resonance does, and I LOVED that game even though it wasn't a lot of people's cup of tea. I will probably get this game when it goes on discount a bit more (right now I think it's $45 due to a small discount). Hopefully it goes down to maybe $30 in the future.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I’m into chapter 3 now (I think I’m almost done the chapter?) and I LOVE IT! I love that things can be done at your own pace, and you can spend days working on the main story, or side quests, farming and fishing, or grinding monsters and resources. There is so much to do, and you can do it how you want. I can’t really complain at all.
    @(you need an account to see links) I think what needs to be remembered is this game is first and foremost, an RPG. It’s not a farm/life sim like Stardew, and Rune Factory is quite different than Stardew IMO. Apple and oranges. Harvestella is more of a JRPG, really, with some life sim elements. To me, the game is worth every penny (I got it for Christmas, but it was 20% off at the time it was bought).
    I’ve been playing it for 4 days so far and I easily have at least 20-25 hours already, if not more.

Art Credits:

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnamoroll For This Useful Post:

Buizel (01-01-2023),radius (01-02-2023)

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    69d 6h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamoroll View Post
    I’m into chapter 3 now (I think I’m almost done the chapter?) and I LOVE IT! I love that things can be done at your own pace, and you can spend days working on the main story, or side quests, farming and fishing, or grinding monsters and resources. There is so much to do, and you can do it how you want. I can’t really complain at all.
    @(you need an account to see links) I think what needs to be remembered is this game is first and foremost, an RPG. It’s not a farm/life sim like Stardew, and Rune Factory is quite different than Stardew IMO. Apple and oranges. Harvestella is more of a JRPG, really, with some life sim elements. To me, the game is worth every penny (I got it for Christmas, but it was 20% off at the time it was bought).
    I’ve been playing it for 4 days so far and I easily have at least 20-25 hours already, if not more.
    Just popping in to say that you're absolutely right. I didn't research at all before playing the demo, saw farming/rpg elements similar to Rune Factory and assumed RF clone :'D RF is one of my favorite life sim style games, so I had my hopes up super high. Without that expectation, it still looks like a game that I would still enjoy, so I'll definitely pick it up at some point (:

Also, just to clarify, in my head (when it comes to life sim) I compare Rune Factory and Stardew because they, imo, are the two games with the most in-depth NPC/romanceable characters. For example, I love the Story of Seasons series as well, but their bachelors/bachelorettes do not have the same depth to them. If anyone knows of games that have this similar to RF4 & Stardew please let me know ;;

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    92/0
    Mentioned
    693 times
    Time Online
    83d 2h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by radius View Post
    Just popping in to say that you're absolutely right. I didn't research at all before playing the demo, saw farming/rpg elements similar to Rune Factory and assumed RF clone :'D RF is one of my favorite life sim style games, so I had my hopes up super high. Without that expectation, it still looks like a game that I would still enjoy, so I'll definitely pick it up at some point (:

Also, just to clarify, in my head (when it comes to life sim) I compare Rune Factory and Stardew because they, imo, are the two games with the most in-depth NPC/romanceable characters. For example, I love the Story of Seasons series as well, but their bachelors/bachelorettes do not have the same depth to them. If anyone knows of games that have this similar to RF4 & Stardew please let me know ;;
    That is totally fair!

I don't know of many games similar to RF4 off the top of my head... I stuck to the same games for so long, oops. One that has potential but is still being developed on is Brookhaven on Steam. It has potential for an indie farm/magic/life sim, but needs a lot of polishing, It is primarily made by one person and she actively tries to continue working on it and fixing bugs, but the style is very pixel/8bit so if you don't like/want that, then never mind

Back to Harvestella: I am still in chapter 3. I finished 3A, and am working on 3B and 3C. Its taking longer than I anticipated, but I am also doing multiple things at a time, so that's probably why. I really like being able to switch job classes mid battle, which gives you three different weapons/fight style to choose from. I still have a few more I haven't unlocked yet so I am curious to see what they will be!

Art Credits: