Thread: What do you have underlined in your books?

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m

What do you have underlined in your books?

I know it's a divisive topic but I'm a big fan of marking up my books and taking notes of lines and phrases that I really like whether it be because it's relatable or sounds pretty or made me laugh or whatever. Not necessarily looking for favorite quotes, can just something like a three word phrase where you love how it rolls off the tongue. Or I guess however you decide to mark up your books.

If what you're sharing contains a potential spoiler, please use a spoiler tag and note where it's from.

If what you're sharing could be potentially triggering or upsetting, please also use a spoiler tag with your best judgement.

Also, I know we have a lot of polyglots (or at least duoglots), so no pressure to share things only in English!

Alsoalso, feel free to share as much or as little about why you picked something!

(A lot of the books I have in my apartment are unread, so actually are not marked up, but am looking for some things to share and will share once a couple others have gone as not to sway with the starting post).

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

Bui bui!
    Pronouns
    She/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    67/0
    Mentioned
    704 times
    Time Online
    349d 16h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 10m
    Ohh, how fun! Personally, I don't have anything underlined now (because me and reading don't mix lol ), but I did used to do this when I was younger and read the "Warrior Cats" series.

I'd basically underline a line or two when I thought it was important to the plot mostly because I didn't used to read for long periods of time. So, in case I took a break and came back, I'd just skim though the lines I underlined/highlighted and pray I get a recap to the story up to where I left my bookmark at haha.

Ryu adoptable made by Stardust
    Waving Buizel avatar made/animated by Da Plushee Boree
    Buimeleon made by Hare
    Static User bar & Anarchy Buizel made by honeycomb
    Name User bar made by Lyrichord
    Buizel Ryus made by Zapdos & GWN, respectfully
    Cutey Buizel made by Wooloo
    Buizel gif User bar made by Zenitsu
    Vector Buizel made by Hollow
    Ryu Buizel User bar made by Dero
    Christmas Buizel made by DankRUSE

National Dex Number: 418
    Type: Water
    Sea Weasel Pokemon
    (you need an account to see links)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Buizel For This Useful Post:

kittyray (12-19-2022)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    60d 16h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I don't underline anything, because my wife would kill me if I do that. She doesn't even let met fully open the books because she doesn't want me to spoil the book spine, lol.
    But anyway I don't normally hightligth things unless I'm doing some work/school research.

I'm not that good of a reader, so I just like to read without interruptions because I'm not that good, I lose focus very constantly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyranitar For This Useful Post:

kittyray (12-19-2022)

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/2
    Mentioned
    264 times
    Time Online
    44d 2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    43m
    I don't underline, but I highlight when I used to read paperback books that have good quotes and then I dog-ear them so that I can go back to refer.

Edit: forgot to add that I usually highlight quotes that I feel will speak to me either in that moment or in a few years or when I pick up the book again.

I can already hear many people cursing me for highlighting and dogearring.
    Ever since I've moved to a kindle, I don't do that anymore surprisingly.

But over the years I found myself reading less and less because of the huge onslaught of video content on all the streaming sites lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Unown For This Useful Post:

kittyray (12-19-2022)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    551d 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    @(you need an account to see links) Highlighting is basically the same as underlining, honestly I really meant "mark/designate in some way".

It's funny how different everybody is. I personally love marking up my books but hate dog earring or when the pages get bent like if I shove it in a backpack wrong. I always encourage people I've leant books to to mark it up themselves, just to use a different color pen than me if possible, but nobody has taken me up on that. Also, ever since needing to abruptly cut contact with somebody who had a book I'd annotated a lot, I'm a bit more hesitant to lend those out.

So for the purposes of having something to actually share in this thread, I grabbed a couple of my previous-read books for them, and I gotta admit, there are some I really thought I'd marked up, but hadn't.

Apologies for the absolute garbage quality on these:

From Everything I Never Told You by Celese Ng

Text: "All her life, Hannah has loved this lake. Now it is a new place.".

From Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist as translated by Ebba Segerberg.

Text: "So Bror Aredelius did what most people do in these situations; carried on as if nothing had happened and hoped the problem would resolve itself on its own."

thanks stardust for base Thanks Sugarbee Thanks Wooloo
    Kyo (Nov 13 2020)

thanks honeycomb
    and hearts! <3
    +Zenitsu

THANK YOU FAB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

Unown (12-19-2022)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    80/0
    Mentioned
    148 times
    Time Online
    38d 4h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    I don't read too often in physical media, mostly read on my iPad now, but I do end up just demolishing my books when i read! Tabbed up, underlined, highlighted, annotated, etc. I figure if I underline and analyze as I go, if I decide to hand the book off to someone they can see more of the processing if they want I love seeing that stuff in secondhand books so I decide specifically to do it!

mothman userbar by @munna !!! <3
    venonat splice by me :3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothman For This Useful Post:

kittyray (12-19-2022)